Whites classic 3 to Minelab x-terra 705

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using the whites metal detectors for years, I started with the 5000D back in the 80,s went to the Classic 3 SL with the Mr. Bill Mods. in the 90,s and know I am upgrading to the Minelab x-terra 705, well I think its an upgrade, if it can do a better job than the classic 3 in trashy parks I will be impressed.Should be getting the Minelab next week...Anybody got any thoughts on the Minelab.

Upvote 0

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not on that particular model but I think you will be amazed at how much more you will find with any model Minelab over a Whites. Longhair is the Xterra expert on TNet that can give you the best advice on the Xterra.

Last edited:

GreenHat

Mar 3, 2014
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep us updated... I always enjoy hearing comparisons and reviews!

H-2 CHARLIE

Bronze Member
Dec 1, 2012
on the rocks - so cal county line
Detector(s) used
Gold bug pro / Minelab GM 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depth test the two on the same target in the ground and report back please ... I bet you wont get 2 inchs between the two
I have been using the whites metal detectors for years, I started with the 5000D back in the 80,s went to the Classic 3 SL with the Mr. Bill Mods. in the 90,s and know I am upgrading to the Minelab x-terra 705, well I think its an upgrade, if it can do a better job than the classic 3 in trashy parks I will be impressed.Should be getting the Minelab next week...Anybody got any thoughts on the Minelab.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2 inches is a pretty good bit imo. I'm thinking in terms of target ID, tones, battery life, weight, ergonomics, etc there will probably be a huge difference just from design and technology advances. From what I understand this machine is drastically different in performance when switching from stock concentric to DD coil.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000D..Whites Classic 3 SL with Mr. Bill mods..Whites MXT...Minelab X-terra 705..Minelab Explorer SE Pro..Whites DFX..Minelab E-trac...Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whites cl. 3 to Minelab x-terra 705

2 inches is a pretty good bit imo. I'm thinking in terms of target ID, tones, battery life, weight, ergonomics, etc there will probably be a huge difference just from design and technology advances. From what I understand this machine is drastically different in performance when switching from stock concentric to DD coil.

I am getting a 6" DD coil with it..but I am not sure about it. He says its a 15 klh. I haven't seen where minelab makes a coil in that range...I know they make an 18...just have to see when it gets here..

Last edited:

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would have to have a 10.5'' DD 7.5 kHz for coin shooting. It's in the middle range of depth and sensitivity.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think I would have to have a 10.5'' DD 7.5 kHz for coin shooting. It's in the middle range of depth and sensitivity.

Getting that 10.5" DD to for coins and the 6" DD for nuggets....I have to be truth full, that Whites Classic 3 with the Mr. Bill Mods. is one good detector..i just hope the Minelab is as good or better. that's what I am hoping for...for me its all about the sounds that you hear, something I did a lot of using the whites 5000D for a lot of years and then the Classic 3 for a lot of years..so this will take some getting use too with the minelab.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Xterra is nice and light, but the larger coil adds some weight and puts it a bit off balance. I tried one on mine for a few months and really didn't see much difference in depth, so I went back to the standard.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you hunt in the all metal mode with that 705...I hate digging trash...I guess that's why I haven't found much in the way of gold rings over the years...

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always say go with your gut and don't look back. I have heard Minelab is a great machine for depth as far as signal strength.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got my x-terra 705 a few days ago...I have taken it out a few times, and to tell the truth..the x-terra has a lot of bells and whistles. but in the park where I have taken both of them, and it has a lot of trash, the Whites classic does just as good of a job, or better picking up the good targets ...but I am sure that after I get to know the x-terra it might do a better job ... I am hoping..i am used to just hearing the sounds and know, I am having to look at the LCD and hear the sounds

parkgt

Feb 19, 2013
Western AR
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, XP Deus, previous CTX and 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 705 with the 6" "Digger" coil operating at 4kHz is great for finding coins in a trash park or yard. The small size separates and pinpoints well. The size makes you be thorough with your overlaps; not much will escape it when used correctly.

I also have a CTX and still believe the 705 IDs coins better and is as good down to about 7" or so. It also is much lighter and easy to use for long periods with the smaller coils.

I really like the CTX but the "bang for the buck" favors the 705! It is very versatile with the selection of coils available.

Read Randy's (Digger's) article on the Minelab owners forum (Understanding your X-terra) for a great primer of how to get the most out of the 705.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I,ll look that up and see what he has to say.....I did a lot of research on metal detectors for under $1000 and most of the sits had the x-terra 705 rated pretty high...so I went it.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I do not think that you can say that Minelabs will outperform a Whites as a blanket statement.

You can sure spend more money on Minelabs, but they both are induction balance machines that are bound by the laws of physics.

I have the 705 along with an MXT Pro and an XLT. (and a Tesoro, and a few homebuilts)

The XLT is the best one of the bunch, because I have the most time on it.

I have found dimes 10" deep with it, and if you have been detecting for more than a few years you know that it is the detectorist that has the most influence on success.

Not on that particular model but I think you will be amazed at how much more you will find with any model Minelab over a Whites. Longhair is the Xterra expert on TNet that can give you the best advice on the Xterra.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give the Xtera some more time before jumping to any judgements. I'm guessing once you get to know your new detector, there will be no looking back. Right now I think you are just too use to your old detectors and their tendencies because you probably knew them real well. Leave them out of the picture, focus just on the Xterra and learn it well. The few bad reviews I have read on it, in my opinion the operator never really took the time to learn the Xtera and was just too set in whatever they used before. Spend some time on the Minelab forum, those guys will help you along.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10" on a dime is outstanding....but I think all the stars have to be in line for that to happen all the time...I have found a lot of silver dimes over the years and most are in the 4" to 6" range...I have found silver halfs around 8" with a solid hit...that it would have picked up deeper if it had been..conditions have to be right with the right metal detector....

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
10" on a dime is outstanding....but I think all the stars have to be in line for that to happen all the time...I have found a lot of silver dimes over the years and most are in the 4" to 6" range...I have found silver halfs around 8" with a solid hit...that it would have picked up deeper if it had been..conditions have to be right with the right metal detector....

Agreed, my max depth is achieved in very friendly soil. It is also important to note that the deep targets ID as iron. I have learned to recognize the sound of these targets in both motion and pinpoint. Sharp edges, equal response both ways, I can almost see the shape of the target. This is why detectors that are considered 'noisy' are not my favorite. The MXT is a lot noisier than the XLT, hence my preference.

OP
OP
J

jhen999

Apr 17, 2014
Northern Califorina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been using my whites classic 3 with the Mr. Bill mods. and every time I take it out... well I think its going to be hard to beat that new 705 I am getting....put it on the Ring sitting...and with the Mr. bill mods, sit....it picks up everything , by hearing the sounds it makes I never have to dig a pull tab and it still picks up the gold rings...that is and was one pretty good machine without all the bells and buttons.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Jhen, when you can hear the quality of the audio to tell one target over another, then you really know your machine!

On my XLT, gold sounds warm toned, while a pulltab will sound scratchy.

Only hours and hours spent with your machine will bring these traits to your attention.

Please let me know how you like the 705.

My impression is that is a good machine, the ability to change freq with the different coils is nice.

It is still valuable in my arsenal, but not my top pick.

I have been using my whites classic 3 with the Mr. Bill mods. and every time I take it out... well I think its going to be hard to beat that new 705 I am getting....put it on the Ring sitting...and with the Mr. bill mods, sit....it picks up everything , by hearing the sounds it makes I never have to dig a pull tab and it still picks up the gold rings...that is and was one pretty good machine without all the bells and buttons.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread