Deer Ticks...

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got home from a quick metal detecting trip at an falling down house. Thought I did pretty good, 10 wheats and a mercury dime, that is until I got home. I felt something biting my shoulder. It was a deer tick. It wasn't stuck onto me yet and came off quickly. It is now in a zip lock baggie running around like crazy. I called my mom to ask her about it. She is a registered nurse. She said that they have to be on you for 24 hours before they can infect you with lime disease, if they are carrying it. I hope that is the case. She also said to take some alcohol or hydrogen peroxide to the area where it was, just in case. I just thought I would throw this one out there as a safety reminder. I am in northwest PA and have been told about 30% of the ticks that veterinarians are seeing test positive for lime disease this year.

Upvote 0

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greatday05 , ticks are a big problem in Pa. Your info is on ticks is correct as far as I know . The only thing we outdoors type have found that works 100% is Permethrin . Wal Mart has it in 10 oz. spray bottles . Tractor Supply has gallon jugs you'll need to cut with water . Spray in on the clothes you'll be wearing outdoors . Shirt , pants and socks . DON'T get in on you or your pets !!!!!!!!! Allow your sprayed clothes to dry overnight . Once the Permethrin is dried on your clothes it is perfectly safe even if your sweating in your clothes . It's supposed to last for weeks on your treated clothing . I even wash mine WITHOUT detergent and just give them a quick spray to be positive there is enough on them . Honestly , if you see a tick on those treated clothes , they ( ticks ) are looking for a fast way off before they die !!!!! Best of luck to you .

OP
OP
G

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLTer , what section at Walmart is the Permethrin in?

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Had lyme last spring and have done a lot of reading on it. There is more evidence that indicates that the bite may only need to be very brief to get infected. I never saw or felt a tick on me but you just cant feel them biting. I had about eight or ten big red ring rashes around the different bite sites on my legs and torso but these did not appear until well after I got the first flu like symptoms and had gone to the doc. My rings were faint, but I see pics of rings that are very red and angry and swollen. The symptoms vary greatly in people which is why it is such a difficult problem, and if you suspect lyme, you must insist on the blood test for it, some of the docs are clueless, but most are aware of the problem. From now on I will wear tight fitting clothes and be diligent about looking for the critters after the hunt. I dont want lyme again that is for sure. Very brutal flu like symtoms, then the dreaded joint pain in lower back and especially behind the knees, almost crippling pain. And you lose weight quickly.

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ticks are horrible in PA. western pa here. they also sell sportsmans version of deep woods off with 40% deet. It seems to work ok for me. I've seen them drop right off my pant leg when they realize the deets there, but premethrin is definately better. I'm also do taxidermy work and use premethrin in my shop.

p.s. I have had ticks dug in more than five times that I had to get out using the tick twister. no lyme yet, but something we outdoorsman unfortunately have to watch out for. if you dont have one, the little tick twister tool gets them out whole with little fuss. cheap too.

Tahts-a-dats-ago

Apr 30, 2014
NJ
Detector(s) used
Legend,
Anfibio multi,
Apex,
ORX,
Deus,
Vanquish 440
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Greatday05,

I am not disparaging your mother, but do feel compelled to mention the fact that it does not take 24 hours (of tick attachment) for Lyme disease to be transferred. I am unaware of a specific time limitation with regards to the transmission of the disease (or any other tick-born disease for that matter) but do know that it doesn't take a lengthy attachment to become infected with Lyme disease. I've been ill with Lyme disease for 13 years now and can tell you - first-hand - that this disease is a serious matter.

According to my Lyme literate doctor (he also has Lyme disease) there are 4 major variations of Lyme disease. The first two are by far the most common; they account for something around 98% of the infections and generally result in nasty flu-like symptoms and painful joints (typically one or two major joints). If caught early, these types of Lyme disease can be successfully treated with anti-biotic's. I wouldn't consider it a cure though, as occasional flare-ups appear to be somewhat common.

The other two major variations are far more serious; they immediately attack the central nervous system and are far more difficult to control. As with the more common types, these two variations also cause flu-like symptoms, joint pain in multiple joints (including swelling and distortions), memory loss, cognitive disorders, balance problems, etc...

Severe fatigue is also a problem and many of the infected have numerous other health problems as well (too numerous to go into right now).

A Bull's Eye Rash always indicates infection (Lyme disease) but many of those infected never have the Bull's Eye rash. The most effective - though it is often inaccurate too - method for testing is the Western Blot blood test. Be aware that it is fairly common to have false negatives and false positives with regards to Lyme disease tests; a lot of the diagnosis amounts to circumstances and patient symptoms.

The best course of action is prevention. After that, the best course of action is early treatment. Lyme disease is largely misunderstood - including the medical field - and it is rather common for the patient to be misdiagnosed multiple times (I was told I had bone-marrow cancer).

If you get flu-like symptoms be sure to visit your doctor and insist on a Lyme disease test. Be persistent, as many doctors aren't well acquainted with Lyme disease. If necessary, find a different doctor (one who will treat you for Lyme disease). The earlier you get treatment, the better the chances are that you can stop Lyme disease from ruining your life.

Best of luck to you.

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XLTer , what section at Walmart is the Permethrin in?

In Sporting Goods . 10oz spray bottle made by Sawyer . Just got done spraying my daughters pink coveralls with it so we can go trout fishing if the rain ever stops here in western Pa. Figured coveralls may protect her best .

XLTer

Sep 26, 2012
Western Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tahts-a-dats-ago , your post is excellent on Lymes . The bad Tick infestation is what has kept me from enjoying the outdoors here in western Pa. for the last 3 years . I absolutely refuse to take my daughter & myself into fields or woods without having our clothes treated first . Even then , I can't wait to get home and check ourselves from head to toe . Sometimes it's just not worth the hastle .

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got rocky mtn spotted fever few years ago.

Basically your fever continues to slowly rise.

Don't go to bed thinking you'll feel better in morning if you're running a high fever.

I was lucky, a significant % people still die from RMSF every year.

klever

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2014
Pasco,WA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw and Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use deet 40 on my clothes in Wa. Just came back from Turkey hunting and low and behold one was on my side. Head was not under the skin but he was attached and out came the tweezers. Had a round ring for a few days but gone now. It is almost like you need to spray your skin. But will not do that. I also heard somewhere that if you do get bit and on you to save him just in case you come down with symptions.

OP
OP
G

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I heard that the reason for giving a 24 to 48 hour window for getting Lyme disease after having a tick embedded on you is that for the first 24 to 48 hours they are mainly feeding on you, and then they are filled to the max and begin vomiting (or letting their bodily excretions) into you. When they let their excretions into you, at that time you have an inflamed open wound, it is easily sent into your blood stream. I don't know about any of you but that just doesn't sound good in any case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread