blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking to upgrade my metal detector and I wanted to know if the Garrett at pro is a good choice. Does anyone know how good the depth is on these things. I recently watched a video on YouTube that a guy could not hit a half dollar at 8" .

And can anyone tell me if it has any pros. And cons. I just want to make a good purchase and not be disappointed with my purchase.

Upvote 0

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

detectingpro

Feb 14, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking to buy one from big bart but someone told me to try jeff at quality metal detector first and he gave me the price of $509 shipped sounds like a really good deal just don't know if it is a older machine.

Ask before you buy!

Sent from my expensive phone I really don't need

Sir Gala Clad

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would add, based on my experience(s), Usually - no matter how hard you try, nor how carefully you research,
the purchased detector, stand up water/sand scope, whatever, will either not meet your needs or desire(s) .
As a result, you will have to go through this cycle numerous times (buying and selling/hoarding) until you are able to separate your needs from your desires. Then and only then, will you get it near right or at least good enough!

You will never be truly happy with your detector.

You will always want one just a little better.

You will forever be longing for the new detector that just came out.

- it's a curse. Nothing you can do about it.

Last edited:

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go with your gut or you won't be happy. I have an ATP and love it but that is just one of 4 detectors I have. The ATP is well worth the money.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ATP is a great detector as long as you stay out of the wet (salt) sands. I use it at the beach all of the time and get excellent depth. Pulled a small silver charm out of 15in of sand just a few days ago. I turn the sensitivity all of the way up and let it do it's thing. It's a really good detector and I have no complaints. I've hunted the same beach with my Excal and have not found that I've miss many things...a few crusty coins the the Excal is better at picking up.

If you get into detecting....you'll own more than 1 machine like so many others here.
What state are you in?

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I sold my AT Pro on ebay last month and immediately regretted it!
So, I just ordered a replacement (from Bart at bigboyhobbies.com) the "Spring Special" that includes the extra 5x8" coil as well as the stock coil, coil covers and finds bag and cap.
Bart gave me an incredible deal!

My order has shipped but it shipped from a different state other than where Bart lives so Im assuming that it is a "drop ship" item from Garrett.
I wouldn't hesitate buying the ATP! You'll love it!
But I love all my detectors!

jimzz977

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2012
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with bottle cap I use a T2 and hunt mostly in parks and I get deep hits and most of the time dont dig them cause make a mess

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought an ATP from Bart. No complaints.. good service...excellent machine for the money... but as stated earlier, if you are like most people, no matter what you have, you would always want something else... (better, faster, newer... whatever).

If you decided that you were not into the ATP, you could always sell it.

I have almost convinced myself that I "need" an XP Deus or a Minelabs machine.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even then it depends on the beach I do quite well with mine on the Treasure Coast.

ForumRunner_20140509_143629.png

ForumRunner_20140509_143719.png

ForumRunner_20140509_143821.png

ForumRunner_20131007_142527-1.jpg

ForumRunner_20140509_144032.png

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was looking to upgrade my metal detector and I wanted to know if the Garrett at pro is a good choice. Does anyone know how good the depth is on these things. I recently watched a video on YouTube that a guy could not hit a half dollar at 8" . And can anyone tell me if it has any pros. And cons. I just want to make a good purchase and not be disappointed with my purchase.

I have had my AT Pro about a month it's my first detector, I have about 40 hours on it.. So far I really like it. I've found 3 silvers dimes at around 5"-6" and in very trashy areas. Occasionally I wonder if it's missing deeper targets but I may just need more time with it or I may not have gone over deeper targets yet. The 5x8 coil with the spring special never comes off the machine.

I ordered mine from Bart at Big Boy Hobbies and got the spring special. Talked to him late on Monday, he said if I ordered it in the next 15 he'd have it on the truck that day and I had it on Thursday. :)

I think the fact that it's waterproof swayed me and I haven't regretted it. My life is so busy I may only get to go out one evening every 2 weeks and if it's raining I'm going to go! I guess it's natural to want to upgrade, and I may someday especially if I thought I could get a machine that would go extra 2" deep, but when I do I'm keeping the AT Pro for rainy days and to take friends that don't have one.

Good luck

C L A D Z I L L A

May 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, and I saw that YouTube vid and it didn't seem legit to me.

Im2stoked

Jan 23, 2013
Miami, FL
Detector(s) used
Excal II
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Ive had and AT pro for about 2 years and I put in down because I got the excalibur and just ordered the ctx 3030 last week, but took it out this weekend for a spin and forgot what a good detector it was. Found a nice small gold ring and I knew it was gold from the digital screen. If you're not planning on being addicted (like we all thought) to the hobby and just going out a few times a month then you're good. It will work in all scenarios for you.

Good luck

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased one and I will tell you how it works out.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got mine ftom Bart. It's a great machine.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you think you like it now wait till you have about 200 hours on it, you will love it

Beachbrat

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garret AT-Pro w/Z link
Garret Pro Pointer AT w/Z link
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ace 350 vs Pro

:hello2:
No ...ive been on here 2 years ;-) ...anyhow i still have 2 garretts and have plenty of hours on them and yes i do point out there faults ....and im trying to save the guy some money if he wants the at pro for coin shooting he might as well get the ace350 ....i havent found anything with the pro that i couldnt have with the 350

I am rather new to the sport and purchased an ACE 350 a month ago. I have been out about 10 hours total and have found a fair share of clad coins. I'm learning new techniques with every reading and outing. I had thought I made a mistake after reading all of the hoopla about the AT Pro. I certainly was glad to finally hear a good comment regarding the
ACE 350. I have not had a problem digging coins 6" deep at all.

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's my question Do you want to dig coins that everyone left. Find dimes to 9 inches halves to 12 inches. The get a AT PRO. If not then buy any other machine. I love mine, it gets what the others are missing. Warning it took about a year to get to where I was fully comfortable with it and able to get the max out of it

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking to upgrade my metal detector and I wanted to know if the Garrett at pro is a good choice. Does anyone know how good the depth is on these things. I recently watched a video on YouTube that a guy could not hit a half dollar at 8" .

And can anyone tell me if it has any pros. And cons. I just want to make a good purchase and not be disappointed with my purchase.

I just got a Garrett 250 and have found beer cans 2foot deep and a foundation that was over two foot deep.
Just the other day at the beach I found a very small silver ring about 14 inches. I showed as a nickle with a very faint signal at first but the closer I got the better the signal and it showed a ring on the indicator

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions