AT PRO Upgarde To E-TRAC?

vabuckhunter

Mar 14, 2011
Central Virginia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
I have had the AT Pro for about a year now and have found some good stuff but looking to upgrade. I am not impressed with how noisy the Pro is and how hard it is to distinguish deep signals. I have air tested my pro and have not got anywhere close to the results I have seen or read about. I have done my reading on the E Trac and it seems like a great machine but wanted to hear from someone that has used them both before I purchase. Thanks in advance for your comments.

Upvote 0

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To me that would be a down grade… I have used the FBS detectors by Minelab and did not like them . But i have used the BBS detectors from Minelab and they are very good .. BBS is the Excalibur and the Sovereign..The Excalibur & Sovereign are not good detectors they are GREAT detectors …………… But any thing in the FBS line not to good to me….

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac is an awesome machine! If you decide on one give it time. The first couple times I used it I wasn't sure I would like it, but after continuing to use it and following along in Andy Sabischs it finally just clicked one day. Don't try to tweak anything for a while. Just turn on select a factory mode and hunt. It's the best machine (as is the CTX) right out of the box I've ever used. Also, Quick Mask was confusing for me in the beginning until I realized you usually use it to Quick UNmask if you have an iffy target. In a nutshell, QM is just a single keystroke button that let's you remove discrimination to check targets that may getting masked out by trash.

That being said, I agree with Keppy also, the BBS technology is good too! I don't want to rave, but the Sovereign GT is my favorite all around machine whether it's hiking into a ghostown, hitting the wetsand at the beach, or coin shooting at a local park it will handle it. It can be chest mounted for waist deep water hunting or lightening the load on your arm. It has never let me down no matter what the hunting situation. The audio is much different than the Etrac. When the GT sounds off it reminds me of a beagle when it jumps a rabbit, if you've ever heard that LOL!

Unfortunately Minelab discontinued the line in Dec. 2012 in the name of newer technology. It should be supported by ML for 8-10 more years, but will continue to be in my lineup as long as it continues to find goodies!

Good luck,
Fletch

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never having used an APT, I am curious as to what you mean when you say it is Noisy???
If there is a boat load of trash in the ground it is going to be noisy. I don't typically use any discrimination with my CM GT as it has 9 tones and I can tell an iron halo hit on one pass if I can hear all the tones.. Yesterday at my cousins house it sounded like a 80 video game on steroids. This not a bad thing, it is just what is in the ground. I eventually discriminated nails and it was less noisy but I did still hear all the halo signals without the iron tone, requiring a second pass to verify it was not a good target. After one year of use with your ATP, how many hours have use actually used it? Do you know the working of it inside and out? How good are you at figuring out what is in the ground with sound and vdi before you dig? The machine does not find the target, you have to find the target.. Anyway, good luck in you upgrade choice, however a couple different size coils for you current machine might be a better investment. Also reading this article before you buy anything may help as well. Truth About Search Coils

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an AT Pro, and added an E-Trac to my arsenal shortly after that. My experience with it was much like Fletch88's, it was frustrating at first but then I learned how it worked and loved how well it did with deeper coins. It is certainly not a downgrade. The only thing it loses to the AT Pro is waterproofing, weight and speed. This is ultimately why I got rid of my E-Trac in favor of a Deus. Despite how much I liked the E-Trac, it is heavy and slow. Good targets will be invisible in the presence of iron, and most of the places I hunt are littered with iron.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You think the ATP is noisy and you want an E-Trac…that's funny right there!

Both fine machines. Both find the goodies! The ATP will do 99% of everything the ET will do in the dry. The ET will do 0% of what the ATP will do in the wet!

Also, if you are concerned with air test, you are going to be HUGELY disappointed if you get an E-Trac.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
haha, when I read the title to this post/question, I KNEW there would be chevy-ford inputs, haha

As a lover of explorer series, and having hunted along-side some Garrett users (although not the AT-pro though) I would favor minelab products. But as has been pointed out: If "noise" (crazy sounds to interpret) is a factor, then yes: get used to an entirely different breed of sounds to get used to. Explorers and etracs can sound like a flock of sick geese to the un-initiated. You will wander around and not be able to distinguish deep vs shallow, mids versus highs, and so forth, at first.

But there's some tricks to help alleviate this:

a) hook up with a proficient etrac or explorer user. Ie.: one who "routinely comes in with the turf oldies" type hunter. Have them flag targets of various analysis. Eg.: this one's a shallow zinc, this one's a penny/dime at 4", this one might be a wheatie/silver at 7", and so forth. Watch how they're doing it. See how they swing. See/hear what sounds they're trying to isolate. Ask why other signals they'd pass, and so forth.

b) if you have no one proficient around you like that, then here's another way: Start off by blacking out all your iron, and everything else from zinc pennies and down (yup, kiss gold rings and nickels and zinc pennies good bye). Go out to a new park or school prolific with easy clad. Spend several hours forcing yourself to dig boring clad dimes and quarters and copper pennies. Then the next day, repeat the above scenario, except to lower your blacked out area to allow in zinc. Repeat. The next day go out and lower it down to accept corroded zincs, square tabs, etc... and repeat. Continue to do so till you're finally down to where you're accepting all conductors.

Otherwise, if you just run out there with the 1) smart screen in conductive preset, or 2) screen wide open in ferrous, then you're going to be one confused person indeed ! :)

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You think the ATP is noisy and you want an E-Trac…that's funny right there!

Both fine machines. Both find the goodies! The ATP will do 99% of everything the ET will do in the dry. The ET will do 0% of what the ATP will do in the wet!

Also, if you are concerned with air test, you are going to be HUGELY disappointed if you get an E-Trac.
Sorry fella, but the E-trac will run circles around an AT Pro in salt water or wet ocean sand. I hunted with someone who thought the ATP was the greatest until I was finding targets sometimes 4" deeper than his ATP was finding them.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I made the same move about a year ago, and would never go back to the ATP. The etracs don't air test well, but it does id deepr targets better in the field. As mentioned, there is a steep learning curve, I was very frustrated when I first made the switch. Took about a month to start kind of understanding what the eTrac was telling me. Dug a lot of rusty nails at first too.

The bad as mentioned above are true, it is a little heavier, not a big deal to me. It is slower to recover, but I notice this less and less as I get better at understanding the sounds. I kept my ATP and have used it for a few water hunts. So, may want to hang onto yours too.

Good Luck!

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry fella, but the E-trac will run circles around an AT Pro in salt water or wet ocean sand. I hunted with someone who thought the ATP was the greatest until I was finding targets sometimes 4" deeper than his ATP was finding them.

Thats funny, I took mine in the water and it stopped working! Odd! You must have one of those special waterproof ones?

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
E-trac IN saltwater. :icon_scratch:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made the same move about a year ago, and would never go back to the ATP. The etracs don't air test well, but it does id deepr targets better in the field. As mentioned, there is a steep learning curve, I was very frustrated when I first made the switch. Took about a month to start kind of understanding what the eTrac was telling me. Dug a lot of rusty nails at first too.

The bad as mentioned above are true, it is a little heavier, not a big deal to me. It is slower to recover, but I notice this less and less as I get better at understanding the sounds. I kept my ATP and have used it for a few water hunts. So, may want to hang onto yours too.

Good Luck!
What does it air test on a dime compared to what it does in the ground in normal settings you would hunt in?

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not here to bash the Minelab at all, I almost went that way a couple weeks ago, I had an ATP and too wanted an upgrade after I sold it last fall. I ended up going back to it, every reputable dealer I spoke with pointed me back to the ATP. Not that the Pro is better, its very good at what it does for the price. For what its worth, I was looking at the E-Trac. IM very happy with my ATP and the 5x8 coil.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not here to bash the Minelab at all, I almost went that way a couple weeks ago, I had an ATP and too wanted an upgrade after I sold it last fall. I ended up going back to it, every reputable dealer I spoke with pointed me back to the ATP. Not that the Pro is better, its very good at what it does for the price. For what its worth, I was looking at the E-Trac. IM very happy with my ATP and the 5x8 coil.

Good Point AC, is the etrac worth twice the money as the ATP? In my mind yes, but very debatable.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What does it air test on a dime compared to what it does in the ground in normal settings you would hunt in?

It's been a while since I air tested it, but I recall about 5 - 6" on a Dime in the air. I have hit domes at least 8" in the field.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been told by experts that the E-Trac and Minelab detectors in general are the best detectors for deep finds but as the experts told me when you go deep you give up somewhere else. Although not by much. I have an ATP and for the money you can't do much better. When you buy the E-Trac remember your spending twice the money but will not get twice the results. I upgraded to a Whites V3i not so much because of what it can find but the challenge to learn it to it's maximum capability.

I would never go by an air test for anything other than checking what the vdi reading is.

Go with your gut and buy one. You will then own two great detectors.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AC500 the ATP is probably the best all around detector on the market for it's price. When a person upgrades they get more setting options etc for twice the money but the learning curve it much bigger.

It took me at least 200 hours with my ATP over my Ace 250 but I would say no one can out hunt me with an ATP. I probably have over 1000 hours on it.

Many people give up on higher end detectors because they can be complicated and the learning curve is big. I probably have 100+ hours on my V3i and haven't scratched the surface in the learning curve.

I only upgraded for the challenge. I don't bash any detector. The all have pluses and minuses and it is more about the skill level of the user.

AC500

Apr 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normsel, I agree. I dont have nearly as many hours as you but I feel I have a good grip on the ATP. I do have a hard time passing on a signal even when I know all to well it's iron, I dont swing parks, beaches and other heavily populated areas, the places I go are old wooded acreage with over 200+ years of history, I really wanted the E Trac, wasnt afraid of the learning curve but just really liked the over all flexibility of the ATP and its just a perfect fit for what I do. Im sure I'll upgrade someday, but not in the near future.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For strapping a detector on the back of that Arctic Cat and tromping through the mud and muck the AT is your best option anyway! Congrats on your machine and show us the relics!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
E-trac IN saltwater. :icon_scratch:

lookin, I'm sure he meant on wet-salt sand. Or moving in and out of the ebbing surf (the coil is waterproof afterall). I'm sure he did not mean scuba or snorkel or whatever .

As for the depth, I don't see that any of the explorer series (etracs, etc...) get any less depth in an air test, as they do in a ground test. In either case, the depth on a dime is going to be 10" while still retaining a semblence of ability to discern highs versus low conductor, iron versus non-iron, etc... (and this is assuming you know what you're listening for, make multiple swings from various directions, etc...). And perhaps even 11". But at that depth, you're doing good to simply know iron versus non-iron. And maybe up to a foot (but at that depth, you won't have a clue as the iron-versus non-iron). I have dry sand hunted and found dimes to as deep as a foot. And if I kicked aside a few inches of sand, begin to get the TID, etc...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread