Snocrash

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
ON order Gold Bug Pro.. T-minus a few days
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hello All,
Not Sure if i should be posting here, But i recently started a new hobby hunting for the odd trace of gold, panning on streams in the north here. ( In Northern Canada)
I started looking into metal detectors a few weeks ago, too see if this can help, as lot the terrain is very inhospitable , and hard to access, easiest way i have found is forging our way up a stream bed, as easier believe it or not than the woods. So this lead me to look at the Garrett AT GOLD , which seem to have some nice features.. And waterproof. and like the lcd display , seemed by some the videos; the bomb of detectors.. but wow to my surprise. Now Here's were noob part comes in, i was reading books bought with my gold pans from the Garret co founders, panning buddies; so plugs for equipment came from there. So the first place i looked was the Garrett site; at there detectors. It wasn't till i went to shopping, i realized of course, competition; There lots of other detectors. And then i start looking at specs and buzz words and reviews and wow .. boom my heads a spinning with information perhaps too much information now.
So to get to the point, I am looking for some advice, just like when ppl come to me asking computer advice..
I mainly plan on using this over rocky terrain and water, means need waterproofing , i don't live near an ocean so don't need salt options, but one the areas or hills near buy is sandy , with rocks boulders and shale , completely different earth and composition to the northern area i go which is Canadian shield hard rock..iron galore..
I have looked at whites v3i , Vx3 , but i see waterproof coils but i worried if walking up a stream trip fall in water, sooner or later i'm sure this going to happen. Like idea of 3 different frequencies. , Which also i was looking a review in forums , of a gold at vs minelab's xterra 705 , which once read i had sold myself on minelab's but obviously i cross off the xterra do too worried about falling in water... led me to look at other stuff in there line like safari and Etec, again waterproof coils but i see noting about the consoles or lcd;s , so leads me back to Garrett at gold. But thought as for advice or where to be pointed to read or get a good idea. Thanks all Ahead Time
Sno

I have posted this on another fourm , just stumbled onto this one, and I had some people suggest the Garrett ATX , which very nice, but as a noob , I thought maybe a bit outta my price range.. as I was interested in spending approx. 1500 , but seems waterproofing hard to find so I keep leaning back to the Garrett AT Gold, but any suggestion would be great thanks Sno

Upvote 0

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would go with my gut. There are lots of great detectors out there and pretty much geared towards gold but the ATG is a good machine at a reasonable price. I would call Bart at Big Boys Hobbies and ask him but you may even want to look on the gold forums to see what those guys use.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it HAS to be waterproof, you're pretty much stuck with the Garretts. Take a look at the Infinium LS also if you can't afford the ATX. If you're not actually hunting in the water, get a waterproof case to pack the detector in. It will open up a whole lot more choices.

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are some detectors made specifically for gold hunting, I would look into those. I have a V3i and would not recommend it for strictly gold. It is not waterproof.

OP
OP
S

Snocrash

Tenderfoot
May 6, 2014
Detector(s) used
ON order Gold Bug Pro.. T-minus a few days
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had looked at v3i because of the graphical interface, I crossed it off the list after doing more reading and fact that not waterproof, But I guess I just know I'll fall in water at some point, not a matter of if but when. And it will happen. I have looked at an read about XP Deus , and people modifying it to be water resistant, so I guess if I fell I would back up quickly unless hurt, and so would the detector so not sure if minor plunges would kill the detector, so I guess that what I was looking at.. to save my accident prone self , from investing in electronics and then wrecking it on first day , kinda like the smart watch I bought great idea.. day 2 of owning it.. as walking by the pool on our property I knocked in filter lid, without hesitation I just quickly grabbed for filter lid as it fell sploosh me in pool filter lid in hand with smart watch on , yep not water proof not even resistant, and my wife calling me a money moron. Her statement who buys a non water resistant watch.. I can afford the garrett atx , I just kinda thought it an expensive investment for a first time buyer, I have had suggestions of the Goldbug series but again not waterproof.?? so I am wondering can you mod or make or buy a case to make them water proof. Another reason for wanting the lcd screen was I wanted a visual id and Tone , As when I lost my wedding ring a few years ago I borrowed a metal detector with just all knobs I don't remember the brand.. I used my wifes wedding band to figure out what the gold sound was of the ring , on the grass and on gravel driveway so I could figure out how it sounded.. Then I went to where I had lost it , with the other ring I tied a string to it so I didn't lose a second one.. I found 6 bottle caps and a quarter and dime.. but nothing else not even a trace of the ring.. so this why I kinda wanted the visual id thing.. maybe im wrong , I was just worried about learning curve and such, why I was looking at the ones with visual id's and manual adjustment.
I would go with my gut. NORMSEL
I like what normsel said there I guess gut feeling keeps leaning to Garrett Gold At, just due to that water issue I worry about.
Pondering then gonna order something i'll post and let you all know..
Scotty544 There are some detectors made specifically for gold hunting, I would look into those.
One I have seen a lot recommendations on the prospecting site is the GPX 5000 , but wow 5G way beyond my price.. and also looks not completely waterproof, So I guess i'll ponder the at gold some more

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snocrash,
Welcome to Tnet!

If you want to look for mineral gold, that is Not shaped Gold jewelry items like rings, necklaces, etc., then you want a prospecting machine.

Next I would suggest that you find out more about the area you want to detect as I believe you mentioned something about a lot of iron in the ground. If you have lots of iron then a VLF machine will Not serve you well.

Go back over to the Prospecting, Metal Detecting site and look up a thread started by Steve Herschberg(sp?) about a new whites pulse machine,just under 1K with two coils. The coils are waterproof but Not the electronics box. You are correct, one slip in the water and if the box goes in you are almost certainly out one detector.

On the Prospecting site there are two Gentlemen - Jim Hemingway and Lanny - they are both in Canada and are great with Detector knowledge. Contact them as they will be happy to give you advise that will be good solid advice. Ask about machines and ask about the type of ground you expect to be over, maybe even share the location('s) you expect to be in as they have a lot of knowledge about Canada. Please mention that 63bkpkr sent you.

Also detecting raw gold (mineral gold) is one of the hardest things to do with a metal detector, it took me two different machines (both VLF types) and several years but after following some of Lanny's advice I finally started finding the elusive yellow metal, I was in Northern Calif with my Whites GMT.

185_8515.JPG First ~ 1/4 oz. 191_9174.JPG Found under "solid bedrock" using a GMT detector, see Lanny's 119 page blog on "Bedrock and Gold" or similar title

The ~ 1/4 oz. was found with a combination of digging in the usual location, panning, classifying, my GMT, a sluice box.

183_8326.JPG Nice fire and check out the background, the white and blue buckets mark the area where the ~ 1/4 oz. came from.

I've seen some of your Canadian foliage and it can be intimidating along with the bugs! Best of Success with your hunt for a machine and finding the yellow stuff. But actually prospecting usually done first with a shovel, a sifter, a pan and time and then once the area has been located then maybe a detector........................63bkpkr

Last edited:

scotty544

Mar 11, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 XP Deus Whites V3i
Tesoro Silver Saber
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe some of the gold hunters will help you out but look at the goldbug and maybe the lobo is a gold machine I cant remember.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions