All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not here 1920's house, They bulldozed it including the Shed full of mechanical parts!!! Did hit a Merc dime in the Grass Strip. If they ever do anything else on the Lot we will be all over it HH Chug 4 years and Still Waiting Impatiently

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Downtown San Bernardino, 1980. A square city block that use to have houses on it. The houses were tore down and the property sat for years. It got pretty bad over the years as bushes had grown up and the wino's and others were camping in it. Finally, a crew came in and cleared and leveled it (in 1980) a day or so after the equipment pulled out, I went in with my Garrett ADS11. My first find, within 5 minutes was a 1892 half dollar. A few minutes later, I found a Sterling Silver compact. I could also see where the sidewalks up to the houses had been. Going along the sidewalk areas, I picked up mercury and barber dimes. I also found that most of the houses had trash holes behind them, where the residents would burn their trash. After telling a friend about them, and locating some for him, he started digging and found numerous bottles and coins in them.

So, all in all, yes, some old lots can be very good to the detectorist. But, it depends on how old the house/store was when it was tore down.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Depends on several factors B-dinutah. Like :

a) what was there before?

b) how deep was the scrape ? If it's too deep, it goes below the strata of losses. If it's not deep enough, perhaps cr*p and clutter still litter the site ? Basements previously there, that were back-filled in with surrounding soil ?

c) Has fill dirt been added? Like scraped perhaps, but then new cr*p folded back in, etc....

I find the favorite lot scrapes are where yester-year's "board-&-batten district retail zones were. You know, like maybe it's 1890s brick now, single story store-frontages, yet it's on the oldest parts of town that started as tent-cities, to board-&-batten, to the eventual brick, etc... Because those weren't likely, to have had any sub-surface messing-with-the-soil, if the subsequent structures were blt before the age of heavy equipment (turn-of-century-ish). But I guess in that case, we're talking building demolitions, not "lot clearing".

However, a lot of what is just vacant lots in seedy parts of town *now*, might simply be where buildings had been torn or burned down in the 1960s, for instance. So it all just depends on what was there before, etc...

Yes I've done quite well. Seateds, barbers, etc... But mostly when it's building come-down, not an already existing vacant lot. If a lot has been allowed to sit for 30 or 40 yrs, trust me: it'll be full of junk.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You should have taken a Pry bar out And Tipped the Side walk Slabs, OOps Gave away Another tip HH Chug

OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705; Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom, I've been watching this house sit vacant since last summer, when I researched its origin I found out it was built in the 1890's, when it came up for sale I approached the realtor for permission to hunt the site, but he declined. Today a crew tore down the building & garage, taking all the debris away, then used a bobcat to scrape the surface of the lot. I think it would still be a good site to hunt. There was no basement underneath.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Heck go for it. Scraping the ground with a bobcat may even churn a few coins to the top

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
... when it came up for sale I approached the realtor for permission to hunt the site, but he declined.

Well .... welcome to the harsh reality of things :( The safe and easy answer for anyone in authority (let's face it) is "no". I'm not saying you ALWAYS get "no's" , but ..... can you blame them ? Why should they be bothered? And now that's it's just a vacant lot (perhaps un-fenced? no signs?) , you have to ask yourself if you aren't just a victim of "no one cared till you asked".

So I have a suspicion that most guys on the forums here who hunt demolition sites, .... uh .... just go. But it's sticky to say that on an open forum. Because it's a little like asking publically: "can I go 56 in a 55 mph?". Naturally, on a family-friendly forum, you'll have to be given the obligatory answer: "No, you can't. Don't exceed the speed limit".

Oh, and by the way: I do not go 56 in 55mph, in case anyone was wondering.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well .... welcome to the harsh reality of things :( The safe and easy answer for anyone in authority (let's face it) is "no". I'm not saying you ALWAYS get "no's" , but ..... can you blame them ? Why should they be bothered? And now that's it's just a vacant lot (perhaps un-fenced? no signs?) , you have to ask yourself if you aren't just a victim of "no one cared till you asked". So I have a suspicion that most guys on the forums here who hunt demolition sites, .... uh .... just go. But it's sticky to say that on an open forum. Because it's a little like asking publically: "can I go 56 in a 55 mph?". Naturally, on a family-friendly forum, you'll have to be given the obligatory answer: "No, you can't. Don't exceed the speed limit". Oh, and by the way: I do not go 56 in 55mph, in case anyone was wondering.
Yep, JUST DO IT! Go at dark 30 or 5 am and no one will ever hassle you. I have 4 spots in mind right now, 3 auction houses and one hotel site that's leveled and scrapped.

EagleDown

Bronze Member
May 13, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not here 1920's house, They bulldozed it including the Shed full of mechanical parts!!! Did hit a Merc dime in the Grass Strip. If they ever do anything else on the Lot we will be all over it HH Chug 4 years and Still Waiting Impatiently
In my opinion, any house built prior to the 1930's has the potential for fantastic finds. Remember, it was in the 30's that Franklin D. Roosevelt confiscated gold from the American people. A lot of the people were totally against this gov. 'wealth grab' and went out in the middle of the night and buried any gold they were afraid of having taken from them. Many of these "hoarders" passed away without ever recovering their hidden wealth. When they passed away, all that was left was family rumors of "Uncle Otto" having had a lot of gold coins that were never found after his passing.

My personal knowledge of treasures having been found not withstanding, all you have to do is read the many posts in Tnet to validate my opinion. (lol)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have my best luck on those....the older the better. Normally they will scrap off a good few inches, which is loaded with years of trash...I hit any excavated lots i see!!!

OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all of the replies, it's raining today...but it's going to be nice & sunny at 0530 tomorrow morning...

etex

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2013
Longview, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, especially after a few good rains. Most of the time you can google map the address and see the building or house that was torn down and get an ideal how old it was.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My problem is getting there before they haul in 900 dump trucks full of fresh fill dirt.

Did you make it this AM?

OP
OP
BDinutah

BDinutah

Feb 15, 2014
Dixie Desert
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/ATTACH said:
"Fletch88;3994788"]Did you make it this AM?
Yes I did! Not even the old agent orange could keep me away :-) I got there at 0530 (night opp.) and started hunting, the back light on my X-Terra 705 works great! The dozer had taken off 3" of topsoil, but still some trash. When it got light I found that someone had come in yesterday/last night and hunted ahead of me, leaving 30+ holes unfilled, so as I hunted, I filled all of their holes. The 4 coins I found were still 3-4" deep, but it was a lot of fun and I'm excited about how well detector worked! It only took me about 2 hours to hunt the whole lot, but that's all the energy I had, it was a great morning! (Sorry for the duplicate photo, operator head-space error)

Attachments

• image-785307568.jpg
    image-785307568.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 117
  • image-4190399599.jpg
    image-4190399599.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Ah, you can't argue with a silver quarter, now can you? haha And if you could find 4 old coins, I wonder how well the fellow who beat-you-to-the-draw did ? Congratz . And now you know how to get into urban old-town demo. scrapes from now on ;)

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the silver and coppers your first outing with new machine! I have 2 tear outs I'm trying to hit but not much competition around here. I hope.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time ASAP ! Nice finds!

swolfe

Jul 8, 2012
Rockford Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Beep and Dig Harbor Freight 9 function detector.
Whites Coinmaster DB/4
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Tesoro Vaquero
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I always try to dig the old houses right before they tear them down. They will pull the fencing out and even the windows sometimes. After they are torn down I don't do well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread