Detecting Rest Areas???

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Hey all,
Took a little trip over the weekend, saw a place I haven't thought to detect, and was wondering if anyone has detected these place before... The places I 'm talking about is the rest areas along the interstates.
Is it legal to detect them?
Have any of you ever detected any of them?
It looks like it would atleast be a good place for clad, and jewelry finds...
Any comments would be appreciated...
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?Thanks, Leon

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not wanting to be politically incorrect, but a fact.....Many of the rest stops with facilities near a metro area are homosexual meeting places. I'm not a gay basher and if that's your thing more power to you, but please guys, if that's your meeting place, don't assume that everyone who stops is there for the same reason. It really makes the straight guy feel uncomfortable to be "eyeballed" and propositioned when we're just there for a pit stop. Also, those stops further out are notorious for high crime areas. It got so bad on the interstate that bisects Kansas that many of them were shut down at one time. Then there's Oklahoma, my state, that is notorious for not having bathroom facilities. They call them picnic areas or rest stops. Now who is going to drive 60 miles down the interstate to have a picnic? DUH! I got a real chuckle out of a bumper sticker I saw on a car not long ago. It said, "Oklahoma, where you pee behind a tree"!

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Did try it once on the cimmaron turnpike. It was like the final resting place of all those pull tabs you guys havent found yet ;)

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
HMMMM!!!! I just may have to try out two local ones. At least it's something I haden't thought of. I ususlly pack my friends Mr. Smith & Mr. Wesson when I am OUT THERE in out of the way places. ( I do have a permit of course) Spotz

nick1878

Feb 7, 2005
SE Indiana
Thats a good ida also a friend to watch your back. Was detecting in a 'bad' part of town for 'whites' didnt knowthis at the time, found some good finds and apparrently t was noticed. As several men approached me with knives and demanded to see what I found. Luckily I had my pistol and my buddy there or i could have been ugly. It is sham when you have to detect with one ear uncovered to hear if someone is sneaking up on ya

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Like I said, when in doubt, wear a hazmat suit. EVERYONE runs from the hazmat suit. Cheap alternative go to your local science surplus store and get a paper clean room suit with hood and a welders mask. Have two or three of you dressed up like that and you'll have the place to yourselves.

gldhntr

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2004
one of thomas p. terry's treasure atlas books tells of a detectorist digging up $10,000.00 in an ammo box behind a rest area.......

OP
OP
Leon

Leon

Silver Member
Jul 2, 2004
Indy
Detector(s) used
Cz3d
Well,,, not quite the responces I was exspecting. But, hey, ya learn something new every day...
I knew it would be a place to be careful in, but you guy got me shake'n in my boots.... ;D
I did like that part about the 10,000 find,,, that's what I like to hear...
Oh well, if your like me and going to try one of these spots,,,
Good luck & be careful...

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Well Leon the couple I've actually swung a coil at were rural and free of any obvious threats. Also free of any obvious good signals. The playground provided a few clad coins but that was it. Haven't hunted any near a major metro area or for that matter on prime vacation/weekender routes. Too many inconsiderate dog walkers. Fact some of that stuff was big enough to be from inconsiderate horse walkers...

D

Darod

Here in Florida they have a State Trooper at every rest area, 24/7. I think your pretty safe in my state anyhow. As far as the "gay" thing, well,....I'm a homophobic, as my wife puts it! to say I feel unconfortable around them is a major understatement! I just get freaked out in an instant. I think if I saw a few of them at a particular rest area, I would just turn right around and leave. Hey, I could care less what your sexual preference is, just don't "check me out" when I walk by and we'll be just fine.

Rod

petecnc

Dec 17, 2004
wilmington nc
Detector(s) used
used to own a whites dfx. i dont currently own a machine. cant wait to save up for a new machine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just leave the knee pads in the car at those rest areas. they might get the wrong idea

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Hey f2D, were their cars backed in or parked facing front?

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
forgot, if you back in your looking,drive into spot your not?lowbatts seems you been hanging with
ole mc mike to much ;D yanking your chain oh well maybe not ne way well aware of the gay thing at reststops had a boss with his kids at a forestpreserve/reststop this moron has the gall to come over and ask him if hes into "family stuff"?well the reply being "you have 3 seconds to run or my dogs will be having you for dinner"wre i grew up they had a "gay woods" you didnt go their unless you wre stupid,men get raped to!so stay away from the rest stops unless your reasons are on the up and up,well you know what i mean! >:(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread