Chris@Miami

Greenie
May 14, 2014
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I just joined Treasurenet this morning. I own a Bounty Hunter but haven't metal detected in 20 years. Looking to get back into the hobby. I live in Miami Florida and looking into buying an underwater metal detector for when I go snorkeling / diving. I'm really not interested in beach combing on dry sand. Rather be in the water. I belong to a kayaking group and we go all over the Keys and South Florida. I would love to bring the MD with when kayaking. Does anyone have experience in underwater detecting in Miami waters and Florida Keyes? If so:

1. Any advice on metal detector. Cant afford the Excal 2. Leaning toward Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2.

2. Any areas you can recommend for metal detecting in my area? Especially locations I can access with my kayak.

3. What are the laws regarding MD in ocean off Miami / FL Keys? I know I can't do it in the National Parks, but what about the rest?

4. When hunting the beaches in Miami, is there less trash out in the water (5 -10 feet) then on dry sand? I ask this question because I will most likely be purchasing an IP detector and I know they can't disc. trash so I was wondering if it will be cleaner out in the water where I snorkel.

I really appreciate any advice anyone can offer. Look forward to hearing from you.

Peace,

Chris

Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't hunted your specific area, but, if it's like everywhere else I've hunted in the water, there is less trash in the water than on the beach. Any of the PI machines by the big name companies will work fine for you if there isn't too much trash in your area. Unless there is a salvage claim, the ocean is pretty much open except for marine preserves and military bases. You'd have to check the rules for the exact area you plan on hunting.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of South Fl is open for detecting except State Parks there. I have hunted many of the beaches from Ft Lauderdale to Key Biscayne with no issues.

Tiny pieces of iron will be your biggest issue with PI there, lots of fish hooks, bobby pins ect...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a PI is a bad choice for someone who has never water hunted.

OP
OP
C

Chris@Miami

Greenie
May 14, 2014
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you elaborate? And what underwater detector can you recommend with $800 budget? I'm obviously in salt water. Want to go at least 30 feet deep. Thank you.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a good used Excal for $800 or less....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you elaborate? And what underwater detector can you recommend with $800 budget? I'm obviously in salt water. Want to go at least 30 feet deep. Thank you.

30 feet?! snorkeling? That won't happen. Unless you are on air, you will be dealing with about 4 feet.

Don't get a PI. You will never know how many nails, screws, bolts, random pieces of iron and BOBBY PINS are on the beaches until you hunt one with a PI detector.

OP
OP
C

Chris@Miami

Greenie
May 14, 2014
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha! No, I'm no pearl diver. I do scuba dive with tanks as well. want to make sure when I do dive with tanks I can bring my MD.
So far it looks like no one is up on an IP detector for my purposes? Just curious, what application is acceptable for IP detectors? So glad to get everyone's input on this because when I talk to the sales reps for MD's or read the manufacturers description, their claims are different.

jollystriker

Greenie
Apr 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Chris,

there is a Garrett eahunter Mark II on the Orlando Craigslist, I believe at $500

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to burst anyone's bubble but if I am not mistaken, sometime after I moved from the Florida Keys, they were declared a Marine Sanctuary and that includes all of the waters around them. Therefore, as far as I know, no metal detecting is allowed on the lands and waters. If someone knows otherwise, I hope that they will post the information!

Frank

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 feet?! snorkeling? That won't happen. Unless you are on air, you will be dealing with about 4 feet. Don't get a PI. You will never know how many nails, screws, bolts, random pieces of iron and BOBBY PINS are on the beaches until you hunt one with a PI detector.
Ditto! Find an Excal or CZ-21 used and you will save the difference in aggrevation digging all day for pieces of iron and bottle caps.

Last edited:

hookahman

Aug 6, 2013
Chris I live in Miami and I have a sand shark and an excal 2. If you ever want to hit mb or key biscayne let me know and I will show you the differences in the machines first hand.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a PI is a bad choice for someone who has never water hunted.

ACTUALLY - MOST OF THE WELL KNOWN GUYS UP MY WAY - ALL STARTED WITH PIs - I DID
I BELIEVE TH'ers SHOULD START OFF LEARNING TO DIG IT ALL
I ALWAYS TELL PEOPLE - IF YOU LIVE RIGHT NEAR THE WATER AND YOU HAVE A COUPLE OF SPOTS YOU ARE GOING TO POUND
NEAR BY - I'D USE A PI AND TAKE EVERY THING OUT - THE MORE YOU HIT IT - THE LESS AND LESS JUNK YOU SHOULD FIND
AND HOPEFULLY THE GOOD WILL INCREASE
I USED TO (STILL DO) FOLLOW THE GUYS THAT CRANK THEIR DISCRIM. UP AND CHERRY PICK
AND HAVE ALWAYS GOTTEN DEEP GOLD AND OLD GOLD BEHIND THEM - THEY NEVER KNOW WHAT THEY ARE MISSING

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
30 feet?! snorkeling? That won't happen. Unless you are on air, you will be dealing with about 4 feet.

Don't get a PI. You will never know how many nails, screws, bolts, random pieces of iron and BOBBY PINS are on the beaches until you hunt one with a PI detector.
YES - MORE SMALL IRON ON THE BEACH - BUT AS YOU GO FARTHER OUT - "USUALLY" THERE IS CONSIDERABLY LESS
AT LEAST AT BEACHES I HIT - EXCEPTONS ARE OF COURSE IF YOU HIT A SPOT WHERE THERE WAS AN OLD PIER THAT WAS DETROYED OR RAFTS SUNK OR BURNT
BUT I USED TO HUNT WITH MINE WHERE THERE WAS A LONG PIER IN THE 1800s WHICH HAD LARGE IRON SPIKES - UP HERE SMALLER NAILS ARE DISOLVED BY SALT - (UNLIKE DOWN SOUTH WHERE THEY USUALLY GET CAKED UP)
COINS FROM ONE TRIP THERE FOUND AROUND THE ROTTED SUBMERGED PILINGS/ POSTS
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/members/29748-albums1590-picture636798.html
ALL WHEAT PENNIES - AND A FEW IHs
BARBER COINS IN THERE - ALL WERE NEAR IRON - JUST GOT TO LEARN HOW TO HUNT AROUND IT (THE IRON THAT IS)

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
huh?

Not to burst anyone's bubble but if I am not mistaken, sometime after I moved from the Florida Keys, they were declared a Marine Sanctuary and that includes all of the waters around them. Therefore, as far as I know, no metal detecting is allowed on the lands and waters. If someone knows otherwise, I hope that they will post the information!

Frank

frank , since when would that status now make md'ing disallowed ? How would md'ing harm sea critters ? Unless there were some specific rule that actually said "no metal detecting ", then the simple fact of being a "marine sanctuary " doesn't somehow equate to no md'ing , does it? If there weren't a rule saying "no md'ing ", then Presto, it's not prohibited . I've md'd in those type spots anyhow , & never had a problem . But sure , like ANY place you'll use due discretion not to be an eyesore or nuisance , etc...

Crusty penny

Tenderfoot
Aug 9, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Tesaro sand shark
Vibra tector 730
Garret ace 250 DD coil
Vibra probe 580 (pin pointer)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just got a tesaro sand shark and have only been on 8 hunts with. I started with a vibra tector 730 for 150.00 and with the platinum ring and two gold I found made me want to go to a full sice PI machine. Found the sand shark used on ebay for 400.00. I have already found 4 gold rings with it. I like it a lot. It has two dif sound settings and runs with a constant hum that you can adjust called thresh hold. I snorkel detect w a regular scoop :) three rings 14K one ring 10K almost didn't dig the small one but I DID ! One was in the scoop w a bottle top. image.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread