sjvalleyhunter

Silver Member
May 5, 2014
Central California
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac and Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a little bit of time to kill so I decided to take a quick trip to a nearby sports field. I've never hunted it but it's always busy when I drive by so I figured it may produce a ring or two. Well as I pulled into the park, I took a double take at the sign that's posted at the entrance.

image-615554710.jpg

Ok, no golfing, I can understand that. They don't want divots or small hard balls flying around. I get that.

No digging. Sure, most cities have muni codes prohibiting digging in parks, but this is the first time I've actually seen a sign posted.

But no probing?!? I can only assume this sign is a direct result of some metal detectorist who got someone at city hall mad, but I don't see what could have occurred for them to prohibit probing.

Frankly I'm not one who typically uses a probe and I'd rather cut a small plug to get to my target, but it's frustrating to see cities getting more and more restrictive on all detectorists due to one or two bad apples. I suppose with the increasing number of people enjoying this hobby we will just have to expect it.

Upvote 0

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Based on the looks of that sign, it's not a new thing.
MD'ing had a huge boom in the 70's and into the 80's which saw a lot of cities pass ordnances restricting their use at that time.

Unfortunately, the nature of government is to govern, which usually means to restrict/regulate.
There's a very repugnant human impulse to resent anything other people do. If someone sees someone else metal detecting, they want to see it stopped. The city of Toronto banned flying kites in city parks a few years back.

If Western Civilization has one failing, it's overregulation, bureaucracy and bureaucrats. I'm rapidly starting to apprecaite the less stifled, much freer lifestyle enjoyed in 'less civilized' countries.

Last edited:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah sad sign, that's why I always get bent out of shape when I see somebody making holes, even tiny hinged ones, for a hole is a hole!
Screwdriver works great! Even on coins down 8 inches, just takes a lot of practice.

The 70-early 80's yeah them were the days, always fun when asking an old timer permission to detect their yards, had to explain what I'm gonna be doing with * that Geiger counter* lol.

Mike

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, the grass doesn't ever get aerated? Nobody can wear any kind of spikes? You can't anchor down a goal or net with some tent stakes? I wonder if that sign is just for show and if those restrictions are enforced. If you have a local detecting club or know some long time regulars, I would ask them what the REAL scoop is. I'd also read the city ordinances to see what the actual wording is and what it was intended to address.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good thing squirrels can't read!

I use a probe and leave no trace I've been there.

I saw a sign years ago here, that stated "no electronic devices" sooo, is that just detectors or includes radios, cameras, I pods, etc. not sure?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With everyone owning a cell phone, I'd like to see them enforce that one!:laughing7:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... I saw a sign years ago here, that stated "no electronic devices" sooo, is that just detectors or includes radios, cameras, I pods, etc. not sure?

Well, with the attitude of some of the more skittish md'rs, on some forums, I'd guess they'd say it's yours/my obligation to go find out, etc... Because it certainly seems that cell phones must be an "electronic device", right? Ok, now hurry, go do the "right thing" and ask. You can't be too safe afterall, right? :dontknow:

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Many of the parks that I hunt have some rules or regulations that state no digging or disturbing of the ground. Probing the ground can damage roots and kill earthworms!

The best way around these rules are to hunt at low traffic times (early in the morning or late afternoon) and try to use the least intrusive retrieval methods possible. I always carry a brass probe, screwdriver, and a small digging tool. I don't dig deep targets in front of an audience either, I just mark the spot and return later.

I had a county cop pull up at a vacant park (only me there) a few years ago and just sit in his car and watch me. I played it cool and just walked around like normal swinging my detector, using my probe to retrieve a only a few shallow targets. He must have gotten bored so he left, I then went back to dig the deeper stuff. I bet if I had been digging some deep plug when he was watching me it would have attracted negative attention from him.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...The best way around these rules are to hunt at low traffic times (early in the morning or late afternoon) and try to use the least intrusive retrieval methods possible.

Jeremy, this is wise sage advice. As much as we would all LOVE to have every last person roll out red carpets for us, condone us, etc..., yet .... it just aint gonna happen. I really wish they did, trust me! I wish detecting didn't have connotations, and that I could just waltz over beach blankets, through ball games, etc.... and be 100% gauranteed to never get a gripe.

But sometimes this life isn't like that. Sometimes you/we DO need to use a little ... uh ... discretion in our timing. If someone "doesn't like it", then your choices are to get them to change their mind (you're welcome to try), or quite frankly, avoid that one individual.

Kind of like nose-picking: not necessarily illegal, but .... for pete's sake, don't we ALL pick ... uh.... discreet times ? So too is metal detecting. Since it's bound to be an odd-ball eye-sore, then .... the less persons likely the gripe or say something, the better.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOT SIMILAR SIGNS AT SCHOOLS AND PARKS NEXT TOWN OVER - THEY BEEN THERE FOR 20+ YEARS
IT STARTED OUT BY A COUPLE OF IDIOT GOLFERS PRACTICING AND LEAVING DIVOTS ALL OVER - WHICH WERE BLAMMED ON TH'ERS
I KNOW AT ONE SCHOOL WE WERE KILLING IT WITH OLD SILVER AND INDIAN HEADS - WORD GOT OUT AND GUYS CAME IN AND
NIGHT HAWKED THE PLACE AND LEFT HOLES ALL OVER - WE SHOW UP A FEW DAYS LATER AND GOT BLAMED - WE WERE PROBBING AND USING SHARP KNIVES TO CUT PERFECT PLUGS
THATS ONE PLACE I WISH I COULD GET INTO AGAIN - HIT IT IN THE LATE 70S WITH MACHINE OF THE TIMES
SCHOOL WAS OLD BUT I THINK THERE WAS A FAIRGROUND THERE IN THE 1800s
ONE OF THESE DAYS GOT TO HAVE MY GF GET A PIC OF ONE OF THE SIGNS - SHE WORKS ABOUT 50 YRDS FROM ONE OF THEM

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom- I search early Sunday mornings at first light, with a screw driver, no big holes. I came in from the other end of the park which doesn't have a sign, so I didn't see it till I got to the far end, the sign was rusty then, and hopefully has fallen on the ground and lost for all time. Driving by I don't even see a sign post any more so I will be having a "closer" look Sunday...early! :laughing7:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's amazing how many of those signs have loose attaching bolts! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread