dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll drop whatever I'm doing for a sidewalk tearout. There is a guy who beats me to some that buries a zinc penny every ten or fifteen feet just to show he's been there, I'm sure he thinks he is funny but he is not. LOL

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG Hilarious!! And o yea...rip up a sidewalk or a street and I'm there...and just recently, they just tore up about 2 whole city blocks, the main drag through town, to resurface. The asphalt chewer/spitter thingy did it's job, and then they came though with the backhoes, dozers, etc..and dug up all the bricks that were under the asphalt...bricks that have been down since the mid-late 1800"s I might add...So my wife, who is just a big of a scrounge as I am..heard that the workers were telling people downtown (downtown office, deli and restaurant workers) that they could come at night after they had gone and help themselves to the piles of 100 plus year old bricks. "just crawl under the orange construction fencing", they said..so my wife says "we're getting bricks!" and we mosey downtown with the truck, find a big pile of bricks, crawl under the barricade and proceed to load bricks to our hearts content. Even thought someone else across the street is doing the same thing...just didn't seem right, so we hurried and got our brick pilfering done quickly, all the while looking over our shoulder for Jonny No Fun in his black and white cruiser. But anyway...now I am gazing at two whole CITY BLOCKS of dirt that has not seen the light of day since ...well, for a long, long time. OH yes...as most of us do, I keep the old beepin' machine in my car, and I just wanted to throw the headphones on and see how much I got dug before I got shot, arrested or both. I resisted the temptation and hauled butt with our booty of old bricks. So the next day..I'm downtown at my favorite deli..and our Mayor is out talking with the construction big-shot egg-heads, and come to find out, he was chewing their behinds, for the bricks being taken. I guess he had some big plan to sell them or something..I don't know, maybe build him a big, brick s##t- house..but we didn't go back for any more bricks!! But anyway...I only fantasized just how every other dirt surfer would when they lay eyes on dirt that has just been uncovered for the first time in 125-150 years. thx...ddf

lostbaja

Apr 14, 2014
Decatur, AL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax + Tesoro Bandido II uMax + Tesoro Vaquero + Tesoro Deleon + BH Tracker IV housed in a Pop Tart box
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They tore up a little patch of sidewalk on the oldest street in town a few weeks ago, I noticed it on my way to work that morning. I went home on lunch and threw my detector on my dirtbike and rode back to work. Straight after work I rode right over to find two guys already beeping away! LOL.. They saw me roll up with my detector strapped to my bike and said, "Well come on in, we aint found squat,. I'd like to see somebody find somethin!" So then there were 3 grown men climbing through orange construction net to play in the dirt. :laughing7:

We didn't find anything interesting, but it was cool to meet some other beeperists. That little bit of construction was drawing us in like flies to a cat turd :cat:

BC1969

Banned
Sep 4, 2013
Somewhere directly above the center of the Earth.
Primary Interest:
Other
Forget the sidewalks! Thanks to a certain township supervisor that I happen to be buddies with, I got exclusive access to the dirt under old asphalt of a old road that was once a busy wagon trail..really looking forward to that...so much so I didn't even tell my wife muwhaha.
P.S. for tom in ca. I fostered this friendship by going and starting up a conversation about seeking...permission...to hunt a certain park that was already closed to detectorists...glad I did, it opened many doors over the years!

Mike

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
New-order, that reminds me of the girls-at-the-mall cat-fights that erupt with emotions at finding which beach is eroding during storms. We all instinctively call each other wondering if any of the other people found where mother nature is eroding in the latest rounds. But then every one expect it will be "only you two" and you "won't tell anyone else". Oblivious to the fact that you were MORE THAN WILLING to go pry that info out of the very guy you're telling "don't tell anyone". Doh!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
...and just recently, they just tore up about 2 whole city blocks, the main drag through town, to resurface...

diggin-fool, I can't believe you didn't hit that. You figured you could pick up bricks, but not detect? Sidewalk tearouts get detecting all time. If you wait for neon signs saying "detecting welcome here", and red-carpets rolled out for you, you might as well give it up and sit at home :)

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggin-fool, I can't believe you didn't hit that. You figured you could pick up bricks, but not detect? Sidewalk tearouts get detecting all time. If you wait for neon signs saying "detecting welcome here", and red-carpets rolled out for you, you might as well give it up and sit at home :)

O Tom in Ca, how I wanted to hit it..sooo bad! I shulda let the wife to brick duty while I got swinging. And you are right, seeing as I will never live to see that part of town un-earthed ever again. Culda wulda shuilda...ddf

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sad story, I hope I don't make any of you cry.... About 3 years ago, about a year before I got into detecting, they tore up all of main street in the old town I live in. This town dates back to the early 1800's! Would have been prime picking. Only I didn't know what I didn't know.... I think about everytime I dirve through there, with a tear in my eye, the opportunity of a lifetime lost... So sad, but true.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread