Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The bugs ................................

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got a bug tamer suit. Bugs no problem.

Willing to go on that hunt, except that it's an Archeological Site-

Not willing to go to jail for it... *sigh*

Hangman

Apr 12, 2014
Cape Coral Florida
Detector(s) used
BH Legacy 2500 , BH Time Ranger, El Cheapo pin pointer, ya gotta start some where !
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remember one thing folk's, We "lost" a whole airliner with no to very little "Parts" of any thing found, including the passengers, I'v hunted not far from that area and the Glades won't give up too much of anything.

OP
OP
Trent67

Trent67

Mar 21, 2014
Davie, FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes the Glades are inhospitable. Cool story.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting story, thanks for the link.

Pete

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 foot snakes that can swallow you whole, but thanks for the link.

Mike

gunx_ruger_redhawk_7.5.jpg

People eat them.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live out there in 62-65', before the new road Alligator Alley by passed part of the old the Tamiami Trail.
We were a mile west of Paiolita (sp) station, and he lived 5 miles south of the road in the Glades.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where to swing your detector in s. florida for old stuff

Bob Carr wrote a couple of books about digging sites in Miami and the Everglades. It has a ton of insight where stuff has been found, including a 1600's English coin dropped in a hammock, he believes probably by Yamassee or Creek slavers (English allies at the time) on a raid. That hammock was located on the FIU campus, and was bulldozed just a few years ago. I'm thinking that is the oldest coin recovered in Dade County that has been publicly acknowledged.

finding really old stuff in s. florida is tough because most of it is developed or protected. All freshwater navigable waters are protected. State and federal parks are all off-limits,as are county historical sites. All offshore state waters are protected, though not enforced against old, snowbird geezers with metal detectors right along the beaches, except where, I'm told, there are active salvage leases.

You need a permit from the Fl. dept. of state to search Florida waters for new sites. I suppose there's nothing to stop one from putting up a drone and locating wrecks, or dragging a magnetometer behind a boat, and then diving on it, but to do more than eyeball it, you need the permit. To get the permit, I think you need an archeologist from a state certified university or archeological organization onboard supervising.

I've heard the military has been surveying the coastline to locate wrecked military ships and planes. It would be nice to get hold of that data.

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to live out there in 62-65', before the new road Alligator Alley by passed part of the old the Tamiami Trail.
We were a mile west of Paiolita (sp) station, and he lived 5 miles south of the road in the Glades.

Back in '75 I spent a night in my camper in the parking lot as a welcome guest of the Miccosukee Indians. I had relied on a guide book that gave wrong info, and it was late at night and I was tired. Lots of noises there at night, frogs and gators. Never felt so safe though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread