Snow piles

DirtyDon

May 5, 2005
rome.NY
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Up in the North East we had 11 feet of snow about 40 miles away. I have been hitting the snow piles for a few years and most that I have found is aluminum foil drink containers, chewing gum wrappers, and the like. VERY little in the coin and jewelry range. But, I still hit the piles when I get a chance. Maybe the next sound will come from gold and diamonds....Get dirty...

eagle77

Jan 23, 2007
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, 3300, XTerra 70
I tried this recently and pulled $.26 in clad and tons of junk in 30 minutes. Pop tabs, caps were an annoyance beyond belief.

T

TankGirlGrewUp

I've been thinking about doing this for a while. Not just piles, but the drifts around parked cars, next to sidewalks, etc..., the same places people usually drop change, except that it doesn't make that "distinctive" sound in the snow, and it's harder to retrieve.

Ah, unfortunately, I'm disgracefully cold intolerant for someone that was born and raised in Michigan. My fingers go dead white in a matter of minutes, even on somewhat warmer days, when we hit the 40s and everyone else is perfectly fine. I'll feel fine too, but my hands are just dead. My latest thought is to trade in my digger for a propane torch. Why try to dig through all of that ice and snow, when you can blast through with flames? I may try a bit of this in the next few days, as soon as I get over this stupid cold. Doncha hate trying to lean over a hole to search out coins while your nose is running?

Another "dry land" place that I look for coins, jewelry, and whatever, is the gas station. It occurred to me one day when I was getting out to pump my gas, and juggling my bank card and car keys, that people might tend to drop a lot of things while pumping gas. I looked down, and sure enough, there were hematite beads all over the place. Someone had broken a bracelet or necklace at the pump, and the beads had gone unnoticed till I happened to look down.

Btw, I do find a lot of things that way. Always have. I bought my MD because I figured it would just enhance my natural talent for finding things, but I still find more before I've even turned the detector on than I do by swinging it. I think I just look down while I walk more than most people. Or something.

If I get out with the torch, I'll let you all know how it works.

Rebecca

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Not a bad idea at all Davy, Theres gotta be some in there somewhere. I find coins along the street nearly every day on my exercise walk. Another idea i've posted before is where the street sweeper machine is emptied. If one would know where that was done in say 1965 or earlier be some good stuff sure nuff'.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread