IVE MADE MY CHOICE

Aug 14, 2013
NC
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, Tecknetics delta 4000 (do not get)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive decided to go buy the minelab explorer se pro. What made me finally make the change is a late 1700s house i found. I orginally used the teknetics delta 4000 and i did alright and i thought maybe im not finding anything because the people who lived at the j\house were poor our just kept up with there good stuff. So i finally found this late 1700s house and i went through only finding nails:icon_scratch: so i thought to my self there cant just only be nails here so i had my uncle come out with his explorer to the old house and he started getting all these signals great ones at that and i said dig one cause i just wanted to be sure that they were nails and giving his detector false signals so he dug one and out came this nice roundball about 10 inches deep then he dug another and out came a 1802 dime and after that i said stop cause i didnt want him to dig all the signals and sfter that day i knew all i wanted was that explorer. Anyways i know that was a ong story but if any of yall can give me some startup tips and hints for the explorer especially on what the best coil would be for deep relic and coin hunting that would be great.

HFW

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just think, if your uncle was an experienced Vaquero user, he could have saved you 500 bucks!

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just think, if your uncle was an experienced Vaquero user, he could have saved you 500 bucks!
Fella what have you got against this guy recommending a vaquero? The idea is to not dig iron. If your uncle is good with his explorer it will shorten your learning curve a lot. Mark some targets and compare. I found the explorer rather easy to learn and don't think it is nearly as hard to learn as most say.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't "recommend" anything.
But you're right, if his uncle is an experienced user, his learning curve should be shortened.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good choice on the Explorer. You'll love it after you get some hours under your belt. With your uncle coaching you, it should be a fairly short learning curve.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep you got the best advice here already,
get your uncle to Hunt along side you and train you.

As for coils , no matter what, the best coil is the stock coil.
at least till you consider yourself fully Capable on the SE.

OH & Don't fear your uncles Expertise on his.
nobody can get it all. no mater how good or what they are using.

that is unless they use a Back hoe & gigantic Screens

Last edited:

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I have the SE Pro and find it's an awesome detector! It gives you a lot of information and boy does it go deep!
Best of luck!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that you use an Ace 250 now. I use an AT Pro, and think that it does a good job for me. That would ease the learning curve, as you are already familiar with Garrett.

But like the others said, if your uncle knows the Explorer, that is the best way to learn. Having someone by your side with the same machine, coaching you.

Glad to see someone in NC getting the "good stuff".... post a pic of that 1802 dime.
PM if there is anyting that I can do for you.
GL&HH, Carolina Tom.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great choice for a metal detector but there are possiblities you probably never imagined! If your uncle let you keep the 1802 Draped Bust Dime and it is in at least AG-03 or even Good condition valued between $1,000 to $2,000 or more, then the sale of the coin will pay for a much, much better metal detector. Now, if the coin is in Fine or better condition, then the options really open up. Even if your uncle sells the coin and only gives you half of the proceeds because the MD'ing site was your's, then you may still have options for an even better metal detector than the Explorer SE Pro.

I have been wanting to get a Minelab GPX 4800 or 5000 for Gold Nugget shooting but will probably have to settle on a White's V3I which I have also been wanting. However, after seeing all of the finds on Treasure Net and as well as on the news about the great to significant finds being made with the Minelab CTX 3030, I am seriously considering one of these.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread