Just starting out

deeotto

Mar 1, 2007
Hi All,
Great site. I have been looking to get into the hobby. I have learned a great deal by reading your posts.
I have read all the reviews on metal detectors. All the posts on what to buy for what area and objects you are hunting.
My question is this. I think I have narrowed down my choices to a white's M6 or Mxt or the Ace 250. I am afraid I will want to be upgrading in a few months and only have enough green stuff for 1 good buy. I live in Saratoga NY so I think mostly it will be coin shooting and relic hunting. Which machine do you think would be good for my area and what I will be hunting?
Also any other machines i am not considering.

Upvote 0

Willy

That's a hard one. I'd lean towards the MXT for the All-metal mode and adjustments . The M6 would be easier to just pick up and go. Probably, at the end, and if you don't mind multitone, the M6 would be the way to go. The Ace 250 is a fine detector, but doesn't have the coil selection, ID, and GB options. ..Willy.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 250 is a good unit but not in the same class as the MXT or the M6. For relics I'd steer you to the MXT. But, for that price, I'd further steer you to a Minelab Sovereign GT. You owe it to yourself to Google or search up some info on that detector before you make your choice. Saratoga has a long history and you'll find more deeper.

Willy

I'd watch out on the BBS detectors if you're in heavily mineralized ground or looking for low conductors. I won't dispute their iron handling ability, but they sacrifice sensitivity to lead, gold, etc. when compared to other detectors. I've had 2 Sov's and an Excal. and did some fairly extensive in-ground testing with various coils. The results were disappointing. The Sov. GT might be a wholly different story, same goes for the Explorer. ...Willy.

B

BIG61AL

Whites prizm V has great features and is also a turn it on and go detector. I like the depth guide and the easy switch from discriminate to all metal with a button easily touched with my thumb.

OP
OP
deeotto

deeotto

Mar 1, 2007
Thanks for the advise. I will post again as soon as I get it figured out. Until then keep the great post coming. It's very helpful to us amateur's

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
minelab 50 $500 but worth it

Quite a package ---got all the "good stuff" bells and whistles at a fair price. Ivan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread