New to the game MD avice needed

bigboison

Greenie
May 22, 2014
I've got a viking v5 to start with . It only two dials on it. But all I'm finding is tabs and full cans. I've started on a local field in MANCHESTER ENGLAND I've only just started to go out with it so I basically have never done this before. Any other advice for me and have I choose the right detector for a starter because I want a better one but there pricey , thanks any advice peeps

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start in you own yard, there may be less trash there.. or not.. but the idea is at first to dig all repeatable signals (as in it beeps no matter what way you swing your coil over it. Then remember what it sounded like after you dig it up. That way if it is a pulltab and you have heard it sound the same 5 times and you dug up 5 pulltabs, you can skip the next one that sounds the same..
This may be a bit advanced for someone just starting but try reading half one day and half the next .. then got out for a hunt and read it again afterwards. Truth About Search Coils
Dig around that site, lots of good stuff for beginners and advance as well.

OP
OP
bigboison

bigboison

Greenie
May 22, 2014
Start in you own yard, there may be less trash there.. or not.. but the idea is at first to dig all repeatable signals (as in it beeps no matter what way you swing your coil over it. Then remember what it sounded like after you dig it up. That way if it is a pulltab and you have heard it sound the same 5 times and you dug up 5 pulltabs, you can skip the next one that sounds the same.. This may be a bit advanced for someone just starting but try reading half one day and half the next .. then got out for a hunt and read it again afterwards. Truth About Search Coils Dig around that site, lots of good stuff for beginners and advance as well.
thanks mate that's kind of you. Sound

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Wooaaahhh, be careful with airscapes advice. Because it appears that he is not aware that the "viking 5" is only an all-metal TR machine . There is no discrimination on there. Not via tone, and not via ascending/descending knob, and not via a screen. No TID, and no disc. So there is not really any "one sound" for "pulltabs", that you can simply ignore on the next signal. All signals, from foil, on up to silver dollar, will sound the same (assuming commensurate size).

The advantages of an all-metal TR, is it will be great at seeing through and around iron nails. Contrast to discriminator machines, and there's a risk of masking. But iron nails is the ONLY type trash you can eliminate. All other conductors will sound off.

That Viking 5 is more for spots like where a house burned down (hence hundreds of nails), or under porches, or ghost-townsy like nail-riddled sites. Otherwise: it's not too deep-seeking, isn't too good in mineralized ground, has no other form of disc, etc... So if your hunt locations are wide-open fields, you're probably better off to get you a better machine. Then yes, you can eliminate pulltabs IF YOU SO DESIRE (but be aware, that you might miss gold rings or odd-ball mid-conductor coins of some sort, etc...).

Another alternative: You might also pick a different field. Because if you say your field is "filled with cans and tabs", that doesn't sound right for fields-of-england. There must've been some sort of modern activity that went on there. Thus try other fields. Because a buddy of mine who did a trip to England, and "dug all" (except iron), said he'd go for HOURS without finding tabs or modern junk. So as you can see, fields vary depending on usage, history, etc...

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Tom. I would not take airscape's advice for the most part. Hunting your yard is fine, but, I would rather hunt a sandy beach for starters so you can make lots of quick recoveries and get used to the machine. I would also dig pull tab sounds (if you can determine that with any certainty). That's where you're going to find the gold. I might just find a more likely spot to do it! Digging tabs in parks can be an overwhelming task. A beach is much easier and more likely to have gold. You're going to have a problem hunting wet sand and salt water with your machine however. It's not made for it and will probably squawk something awful in that environment. Dry sand should be fine and once you get the hang of it, hit some old fields and save up for a better detector.

OP
OP
bigboison

bigboison

Greenie
May 22, 2014
Wooaaahhh, be careful with airscapes advice. Because it appears that he is not aware that the "viking 5" is only an all-metal TR machine . There is no discrimination on there. Not via tone, and not via ascending/descending knob, and not via a screen. No TID, and no disc. So there is not really any "one sound" for "pulltabs", that you can simply ignore on the next signal. All signals, from foil, on up to silver dollar, will sound the same (assuming commensurate size). The advantages of an all-metal TR, is it will be great at seeing through and around iron nails. Contrast to discriminator machines, and there's a risk of masking. But iron nails is the ONLY type trash you can eliminate. All other conductors will sound off. That Viking 5 is more for spots like where a house burned down (hence hundreds of nails), or under porches, or ghost-townsy like nail-riddled sites. Otherwise: it's not too deep-seeking, isn't too good in mineralized ground, has no other form of disc, etc... So if your hunt locations are wide-open fields, you're probably better off to get you a better machine. Then yes, you can eliminate pulltabs IF YOU SO DESIRE (but be aware, that you might miss gold rings or odd-ball mid-conductor coins of some sort, etc...). Another alternative: You might also pick a different field. Because if you say your field is "filled with cans and tabs", that doesn't sound right for fields-of-england. There must've been some sort of modern activity that went on there. Thus try other fields. Because a buddy of mine who did a trip to England, and "dug all" (except iron), said he'd go for HOURS without finding tabs or modern junk. So as you can see, fields vary depending on usage, history, etc...
wow tom you have gave me so much advice there thank you

OP
OP
bigboison

bigboison

Greenie
May 22, 2014
I agree with Tom. I would not take airscape's advice for the most part. Hunting your yard is fine, but, I would rather hunt a sandy beach for starters so you can make lots of quick recoveries and get used to the machine. I would also dig pull tab sounds (if you can determine that with any certainty). That's where you're going to find the gold. I might just find a more likely spot to do it! Digging tabs in parks can be an overwhelming task. A beach is much easier and more likely to have gold. You're going to have a problem hunting wet sand and salt water with your machine however. It's not made for it and will probably squawk something awful in that environment. Dry sand should be fine and once you get the hang of it, hit some old fields and save up for a better detector.
what detector is good mark

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry BigBoison! Guess my wife is correct when she says I am WRONG! :dontknow:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what detector is good mark

I'd need to know a bit more about where you're hunting, what you're trying to find, and what your budget is. You say you just started in a field. Is that where you intend to do most or all of your hunting? Relics and coins?

OP
OP
bigboison

bigboison

Greenie
May 22, 2014
I'd need to know a bit more about where you're hunting, what you're trying to find, and what your budget is. You say you just started in a field. Is that where you intend to do most or all of your hunting? Relics and coins?
i live on a council estate so not much old ruins near me

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much are you willing to spend? Keep in mind that you'll need to include a pin pointer, digger, probe, and pouch in that figure. Headphone also, if for some reason they don't come with the detector.

OP
OP
bigboison

bigboison

Greenie
May 22, 2014
About £600 mate got the viking v5 but I don't like it

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that price range, I'd probably go with the Garrett AT Pro for general all-around detecting. It also has the benefit of being waterproof to 3+ meters.

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get you a Fisher F2 or a Garrett ACE 250 if you arent looking to spend too much. ($215+/-)

I recommend to people I know looking to get into this hobby to look at the Fisher F2 @ KellyCO's website. Its got 3 coils, a pin pointer, head phones, & padded Fisher detector bag to carry your detector around in. But not sure what the price is now. When I got it. That was selling for $275.00 with free shipping.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The Teknetics Eurotek Pro is inexpensive, designed for European conditions, based on a circuit & code platform that's been around for several years spinning off solid products, easy to use, and widely regarded as having performance comparable to machines twice the price (as well as leaving everything else in its price range in the dust).

Link to forum: Teknetics
Most recent thread on the subject: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/teknetics/415658-new-eurotek-pro-impresses.html

It's not the only metal detector that works, but people who get a Eurotek Pro don't have to wonder if they should have gotten something else instead.

Last edited:

F2 Hunter 28146

May 22, 2013
Rockwell, NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 "Limited" CAMO - Fisher F5 (with Standard Coil) - Fisher F2 (10" coil) - & a Radio Shack "Treasure Finder" Metal Detector!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense. But this detector. The Eurotek Pro

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious in what way does it look like a repackaged F2? I had both for a brief time that I had got on trades and found the ETP to be an amazing little unit. The audio was what really impressed me. The nickel/pulltab range had the coolest squank, squank sound LOL! It's hard to describe a sound in words!

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The Eurotek is an entirely different platform from the F2. And, although the F2 is a very good machine in its price category, the Eurotek Pro at about the same price is by all accounts even better.

Last edited:

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No offense. But this detector. The Eurotek Pro looks like a redone Fisher F2 to me
You need to take a closer look!

I'm curious in what way does it look like a repackaged F2? I had both for a brief time that I had got on trades and found the ETP to be an amazing little unit. The audio was what really impressed me. The nickel/pulltab range had the coolest squank, squank sound LOL! It's hard to describe a sound in words!
Yep, great audio on the ETP!

The Eurotek is an entirely different platform from the F2. And, although the F2 is a very good machine in its price category, the Eurotek Pro at about the same price is by all accounts even better.
Indeed!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread