jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to detecting (been doing it for about two years) and I gotta say, it's a little harder than it looks starting out. When you first get your detector you think every single beep or bell tone is going to be an 1800's coin or a 24K diamond ring. You have no idea how much trash in under the ground and how much of that trash you will dig and haul away. I'm pretty sure you could find a pull tab or a soda/beer can on the surface of the moon, the damn things are everywhere. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you EXPERIENCED metal detectorist's pass up what sounds like good signals because it sounds too much like the other trash you have been digging all day.

If I pinpoint a target and it shows it to be REALLY big, I usually don't even bother because by this point I'm tired of digging tin cans and pieces of GOD knows what. By doing this, am I passing up good targets thinking they are trash? I mean will good targets give off huge halo's like a tin can while pinpointing or should I keep doing what I'm doing.

To date, I haven't found a whole lot to be honest and I run a pretty decent detector, Garrett ACE 350. I know some on here frown upon the ACE series, but I have read tons of positive things about them which is what led to my decision to purchase it. Anyhow, is it something I'm doing wrong? Am I leaving good targets in the ground thinking they are trash just because I "think" the pinpoint feature on the detector indicates it's trash?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated, Thank's in advance.....

Upvote 0

: Michael-Robert.

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2013
Sovereign America
Detector(s) used
Many
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always dig big targets. Remember you are not looking for just coins. Caches, treasure, saddle bags full of gold coins, etc...... That is what you will find. Oh, and numerous natural finds of platinum, gold, silver, etc.... Never never give up.jpg give up.

I'm new to detecting (been doing it for about two years) and I gotta say, it's a little harder than it looks starting out. When you first get your detector you think every single beep or bell tone is going to be an 1800's coin or a 24K diamond ring. You have no idea how much trash in under the ground and how much of that trash you will dig and haul away. I'm pretty sure you could find a pull tab or a soda/beer can on the surface of the moon, the damn things are everywhere. Anyway, I was wondering if any of you EXPERIENCED metal detectorist's pass up what sounds like good signals because it sounds too much like the other trash you have been digging all day.

If I pinpoint a target and it shows it to be REALLY big, I usually don't even bother because by this point I'm tired of digging tin cans and pieces of GOD knows what. By doing this, am I passing up good targets thinking they are trash? I mean will good targets give off huge halo's like a tin can while pinpointing or should I keep doing what I'm doing.

To date, I haven't found a whole lot to be honest and I run a pretty decent detector, Garrett ACE 350. I know some on here frown upon the ACE series, but I have read tons of positive things about them which is what led to my decision to purchase it. Anyhow, is it something I'm doing wrong? Am I leaving good targets in the ground thinking they are trash just because I "think" the pinpoint feature on the detector indicates it's trash?

Any help you could give would be greatly appreciated, Thank's in advance.....

OP
OP
J

jaypop06

Feb 19, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry it took so long for me to get back on here as the day job has kept me busy lately. However, thanks for all the info and tips, they have been more than helpful and I will use them the next time I get to go out hunting. I do however have another question. How hard is it to get used to using a probe? It sounds like something I'd like to try, but I'm kinda weary about how good I'll be able to find the target as pinpointing with the ACE 350 is something that I haven't quite mastered yet.

So any tips for using a probe is also welcome as well....

Thank's again guys

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I love the pinpointing on the ace 350. I've used mine enough I can tell exactly were the object is.
You have to play with it and learn it, it's really not that hard to learn. I dig most repeatable signals.
I've said it before on the forum "My detector lies to me everyday" !!!
In my most humble opinion there are very few detectors that can tell you exactly whats down there, they can tell you somethings down there and it sounds like this. But they aren't 100 % correct always. As you can see by most people posting that they dig iffy signals.
The 350 is a great machine in my opinion, I pulled a merc at 9", it was almost on end. I've had great signals that I would have bet money was something great and would put me in all the treasure hunting books, turn out to be a big iron nail, pop top, hunk of lead, etc..:BangHead:

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the pinpointing on the ace 350. I've used mine enough I can tell exactly were the object is.
You have to play with it and learn it, it's really not that hard to learn. I dig most repeatable signals.
I've said it before on the forum "My detector lies to me everyday" !!!
In my most humble opinion there are very few detectors that can tell you exactly whats down there, they can tell you somethings down there and it sounds like this. But they aren't 100 % correct always. As you can see by most people posting that they dig iffy signals.
The 350 is a great machine in my opinion, I pulled a merc at 9", it was almost on end. I've had great signals that I would have bet money was something great and would put me in all the treasure hunting books, turn out to be a big iron nail, pop top, hunk of lead, etc..:BangHead:
Exactly!...my most expensive detector finds little in the way of trash, but at the expense of finding little in the way of treasure, if I believe what it is telling me. ..
My Analog machines, on the other hand, don't confuse the issue and have me digging more treasure along with a bit
more trash!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread