blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was bored and I decided to test the at pro depth. I have owned it for about a month and have probably 20hrs on it.

Well I buried a dime and a penny at 8in and it barely picks it up. But when I bury a quarter at the same it doesn't pick it up that's strange to me.

Settings

Pro zero 35, iron disc.

Sensitivity 1 below max

Stock coil

Auto ground balance and tried the subtract 5-10 ground balance trick and really didn't help.

My ground balance came in at 89-90 I don't know if that is bad.

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Who told you this?....we have mild soil and my GB is almost always the same 90 or 92 and thats not whats stopping the at pro from reaching above and beyond the 8 inch mark ...it simply just wasnt made for deep targets like other FBS machines...the at pro was never marketed as such ...id be more worried about the lack of discrimination and the annoying high tones on everything in the local park

I'm more worried about the LACK of high tones!

FBS…lol!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm more worried about the LACK of high tones!

FBS…lol!

Go hunt in the local parks theres plenty of bottle caps to give high tones with the at pro

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't dig bottle caps. ATP lets me know "hey don't dig this!".
Mine lies to me and tells me dig this its a super old silver coin and its hitting steady vdi numbers ...the only time it skips to a trashy signal is when i pull the coil straight backwards and it dips to a 30-40s ...thats the only way i can tell that its a bottle cap and ive dug so many targets that very same way with the ace 350 thats how i learned the little trick ...but id never think of hunting like that because ive seen clad quarters jump to iron while pulling the coil backwards across the target ...id take a bounty hunter over the at pro atleast it doesnt make a fasle high tone over a bottle cap

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine lies to me and tells me dig this its a super old silver coin and its hitting steady vdi numbers ...the only time it skips to a trashy signal is when i pull the coil straight backwards and it dips to a 30-40s ...thats the only way i can tell that its a bottle cap and ive dug so many targets that very same way with the ace 350 thats how i learned the little trick ...but id never think of hunting like that because ive seen clad quarters jump to iron while pulling the coil backwards across the target ...id take a bounty hunter over the at pro atleast it doesnt make a fasle high tone over a bottle cap

My high end FT machines (Cz-3d & T2se) call aluminum bottle caps high tone coins all the time. ATP goes low high low (garbage) unless they're squished. If squished they pinpoint the size of Texas so I STILL don't dig em (usually)!

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It will chatter on full sensitivity and the vdi will jump on the ground and in the air. No I am not under any power lines and no there are no underground cables. When I run it down a bar it works fine

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who told you this?....we have mild soil and my GB is almost always the same 90 or 92 and thats not whats stopping the at pro from reaching above and beyond the 8 inch mark ...it simply just wasnt made for deep targets like other FBS machines...the at pro was never marketed as such ...id be more worried about the lack of discrimination and the annoying high tones on everything in the local park

I thought the at pro was supposed to find stuff below 7in

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the info from the Manual:

Typical Ground Balance Ranges:​
80–99: Highly ferrous (magnetite, ferrous oxide minerals,​
black sands, hot rocks, terra cotta)​
60–80: Moderately mineralized soils (red clay, brown clay,​
iron-bearing clay minerals, etc.)​
20–60: Likely an iron object​
0–20: Highly conductive, non-ferrous minerals such as saltwater

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Id go as far to say the at pro can hit 8 inches but not beyond....you should be able to run full sensitivity without it going bonkers you may have something wrong with it

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Are you using it in a test garden? I get coin signals below 8-10 inches, but they are few and far between. It depends on the site and also depends on how much trash is masking deeper targets.

Wayne

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you using it in a test garden? I get coin signals below 8-10 inches, but they are few and far between. It depends on the site and also depends on how much trash is masking deeper targets.

Wayne

Yes I am using a test garden BUT the coins are only a few weeks old maybe that has something to do with not picking them up. Or dose it

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is bothering me so much I am willing to drive out to New Castle to compare our AT Pros. It is NOT normal for the ATP to chatter at full sensitivity. Falsing? Maybe, although I have not experienced it anywhere except at the salt water beach and high EMF areas.

Yeah come over so you can help me :-). Yeah I might have to send it in. This is exactly what it does. When I set it to max it chatters like crazy I hear all this little beeps and blips lol. I have tried the different frequencies with no luck. But when I make it go 1 below max its fine. Also the coil wire is tight and not flying in the wind.

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have the money get a Minelab E-Trac. I'm a newbie and love mine. I dug a large cent 11 or 12 inches down. Yesterday I dug a wheat penny at least 10 inches down. So far I have 27 silver coins on the year. They really do work well. They just like to go nice and slow, and they will pick out a lot of coins in trashy soil. I have dug lots of coins with nails next to them.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah come over so you can help me :-). Yeah I might have to send it in. This is exactly what it does. When I set it to max it chatters like crazy I hear all this little beeps and blips lol. I have tried the different frequencies with no luck. But when I make it go 1 below max its fine. Also the coil wire is tight and not flying in the wind.
I can't run mine in town maxed out on sens. Too much chatter! I'm always one off max and NEVER think about it!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your detector is fine. One bar below sens is fine. Plenty of detectors cant be run at full sensitivity without chatter or falsing. Call Garrett and they will tell you that it is working properly if it unstable at full sens but stable at one bar below. Detectors can run different at different spots...some places you can run the sens higher than others...there is nothing wrong with your AT pro...let us know what Garrett says.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't run mine in town maxed out on sens. Too much chatter! I'm always one off max and NEVER think about it!
I hear you...I wouldn't want a detector that could run max sens everywhere I hunted...I wouldn't trust that it was sensitive enough and that I was getting the max performance out of it.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go hunt in the local parks theres plenty of bottle caps to give high tones with the at pro
Are you talking about the old crown caps or the aluminum screw on caps?

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I hear you...I wouldn't want a detector that could run max sens everywhere I hunted...I wouldn't trust that it was sensitive enough and that I was getting the max performance out of it.
Good point!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you're saying that there is something wrong with my machine because it doesnt false at full sensitivity? I have never heard of anyone not being able to max out their ATP due to chatter. You got something mixed up my friend.

EDIT: Also, we might be talking about two different things. Falsing is one thing and "Chatter" are not the same.
Were talking about two different things alright and the two things aren't falsing and chattering...the two things are a proper working AT pro and a malfunctioning AT pro.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you talking about the old crown caps or the aluminum screw on caps?

The old rusty bottle caps are the ones that scream a solid 82 for me on the at pro ...the only time it even gives a hint to trash is if i pull the coil straight back over the target like i would do with the ace 350 but ive also seen quarters dip into a bad vdi number from pulling the coil backwards over it and its only because i dig everything that hits a good vdi regardless of pulling the coil back and getting the iron hit that ive found both bottle caps and quarters can give a bad vdi reading if pulling the coil back so im back to square 1 ...ding ding ding goes the bottle cap

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread