blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was bored and I decided to test the at pro depth. I have owned it for about a month and have probably 20hrs on it.

Well I buried a dime and a penny at 8in and it barely picks it up. But when I bury a quarter at the same it doesn't pick it up that's strange to me.

Settings

Pro zero 35, iron disc.

Sensitivity 1 below max

Stock coil

Auto ground balance and tried the subtract 5-10 ground balance trick and really didn't help.

My ground balance came in at 89-90 I don't know if that is bad.

Upvote 0

cairo digger

May 5, 2012
Castalian springs Tenn
Detector(s) used
F75-AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had my AT Pro sense they came out. (LOVE IT) I have done the test garden and everything. I have buried coins, civil war bullets and buttons. It didn't pick them up very good and some not at all. It had to rain two or three good times before it would. Then they were loud and clear. If the AT PRO had all metal mode it would be my main detector. I use F75 ltd for all metal and the Pro for discrimination. I always run the AT Pro (Pro zero and no disc) and have found lots of great finds. Yes!!! That is a high ground balance. I have farms like that too.

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The way I see it (and I haven't even owned an AT Pro) is that your machine is PERFECTLY fine. How Long have you actually spent using the machine in the field? As others have said, it's not uncommon to have a lot of chatter at max sensitivity. In fact, most people I've talked to said they have to run their AT pro a bar below max. Also, I've said it before and I'll say it again, test beds DON'T WORK. I've gotten literally half the depth I get in the real world from my coin garden. Coupled with horrid IDs, I'm beginning to wonder if it'll ever work. I think you just need to use the detector on a few more hunts and experience what it can really do.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Dusty, I have figured out your problem and what you need to do is either get a machine with NO vdi, or put a piece of tape over the vdi and learn how to listen. If you are hearing impared, I apologize, and what you are doing may be the best option for you, idk. Also, the instructions tell you how to swing the detector and I don't know for a fact but I'm pretty sure none of the machines will instruct you to pull the coil backwards over the target.

Did everyone read what Cairo digger said? He says he uses his at pro for discrimination, but runs it in pro zero, NO descrimination. A machine to discrimnate with, without notching stuff out. NICE!

Cairo, I picked up the at gold off craig's for $375 so keep an eye out as it does have all metal mode.

To the thread starter, didn't mean to hijack! If I were you I would put another 100 hours in with it and dig almost everything and learn. I never run mine full senstivity but I will notch it up if I get a deep signal and want a little more umph to verify I want to dig or not but then I notch it back down again before continuing.
The best advise I can give you is SLOW DOWN. Try going really slow and listening to every sound. The really deep targets will be a wisper and often will give absolutely NO vdi so use headphones. And, yes, the AT PRO and the right user can find dimes over 10" deep. Larger coins are easier to find.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And, yes, the AT PRO and the right user can find dimes over 10" deep. Larger coins are easier to find.

Can you please post a video of these so called 10 inch dime digs? alot of people can make claims to such great depth but nowhere on the internet will you find any proof to back those claims

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusty, I have figured out your problem and what you need to do is either get a machine with NO vdi, or put a piece of tape over the vdi and learn how to listen. If you are hearing impared, I apologize, and what you are doing may be the best option for you, idk. Also, the instructions tell you how to swing the detector and I don't know for a fact but I'm pretty sure none of the machines will instruct you to pull the coil backwards over the target.

Well i didnt know the at pro can ring a 82 and give an iron tone...that sounds pretty far fetched to me...these are smooth sounding dead locking high tone hits so try going back to the drawing board ....and if you watch afew garrett videos on youtube theres many people that pull there coil back over a target in question to see if its a bottle cap....your welcome for teaching you something new

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old rusty bottle caps are the ones that scream a solid 82 for me on the at pro ...the only time it even gives a hint to trash is if i pull the coil straight back over the target like i would do with the ace 350 but ive also seen quarters dip into a bad vdi number from pulling the coil backwards over it and its only because i dig everything that hits a good vdi regardless of pulling the coil back and getting the iron hit that ive found both bottle caps and quarters can give a bad vdi reading if pulling the coil back so im back to square 1 ...ding ding ding goes the bottle cap
Circle your target while swinging and those bottle caps will jump through all three tones or at least jump from low to high...not all of them but the huge majority. The aluminum screw caps read a solid high no matter what you do. My CZ21 reads bottle caps the same way when I circle them.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please post a video of these so called 10 inch dime digs? alot of people can make claims to such great depth but nowhere on the internet will you find any proof to back those claims
My AT pro will air test a dime at 10 inches with 7 of 8 bars sens. I know that's not an accurate test but I like it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread