blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I was bored and I decided to test the at pro depth. I have owned it for about a month and have probably 20hrs on it.

Well I buried a dime and a penny at 8in and it barely picks it up. But when I bury a quarter at the same it doesn't pick it up that's strange to me.

Settings

Pro zero 35, iron disc.

Sensitivity 1 below max

Stock coil

Auto ground balance and tried the subtract 5-10 ground balance trick and really didn't help.

My ground balance came in at 89-90 I don't know if that is bad.

Upvote 0

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fresh buried coins are notorious about being difficult to sniff out.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone else have a idea

pkb

Feb 10, 2013
Dallas
Detector(s) used
Two Garrett AT PRO's, two Garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've dug a 22 bullet 11 inches down

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice but what about my problem. I can.barely hit a penny 7.5 or 8in down .

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how long does it take for them to be considered not fresh in the ground days years

And also is 80-90 ground balance very mineralized soil.

Last edited:

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how long does it take for them to be considered not fresh in the ground days years

years!

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Long enough to where people can give you another excuse when it still doesn't pick it up 5 years later...your pushing the limits on the at pro at 8 inches all this garbage i did this at 12 inches and this at 14 ....learn how to measure all i can say

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I have been reading alot on people getting a penny at 8-9 inches. But I can barely I
Get a sound.

BVI Hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 8, 2013
VIRGIN ISLANDS
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
AT Pro
SEA HUNTER 2
Garrett Pro Pointer
Ghost Amphibian Headphones
Vibra Probe 580
Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I test my kit, I never 'dig and bury' as the soil you put back is NEVER the same as when it came out.

I always dig a small shaft straight down, to the depth I want to test, then drill in from the side with, say an inch bit. then push the test coin / ring etc in with a stick.
tie fishing line if you want it back!
then swing over to test your coil - the soil between target and coil is 100% as nature intended!!

drill in at different depth to test different depths!!

great for learning the audio from your machine.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a ground balance around 85-90 does this mean I have really mineralized soil.

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A coin 8 inches down (not in your test garden) has been there a long time for the soil to buildup... Probably for years! There is a halo effect of metal leaching from the coin into the surrounding soil... Moisture can increase the depth, mineralization can decrease it... Your results can and will differ from others based on your skill, soil, machine, and moisture... Two otherwise identical detectors may have different depth results because electronically one may perform better (hot detector)! Also the depth on coins is not likely to exceed the average diameter of the coil...

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a ground balance around 85-90 does this mean I have really mineralized soil.

Yes, you have very highly mineralized soil, which will make any target hard to detect at depth. Also, as others have said, freshly buried coins do not accurately represent a machine's depth. That is a FACT. I have an F2 and it has trouble picking up a newly-buried 4-inch dime, but I've gotten them at close to 8 inches when I'm out hunting.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this same thing on the Garrett page. Not supposed to double post. What, you don't like the answer?

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use the same settings you do except I run it full sensitivity and never adjust the ground balance after balancing. If I get a faint hit, I run the coil over quickly to see if the signal gets stronger and it usually will after a few swings if it's a coin. I use it mostly in sand and regularly hit fresh coin drops at 8-10.

Try slowing your initial swings a bit and try to zero in with rapid swings over faint tones.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You posted this same thing on the Garrett page. Not supposed to double post. What, you don't like the answer?

Sorry I originally posted it in the metal detecting forums. But I wanted to move it to the brands forum. Sorry still kind of new here.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why arent you maxing out your sensitivity? I have the ATP and yes, I have found pennies at 9-10 inches, they ring in faintly but they still do. My soil is similar to yours, im around 80-85 most of the time.

When I turn up my sensitivity all the way it starts to chatter alot and if I turn it down one bar it stops. Yes my cable is wrapped tight around the metal detector.

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I turn up my sensitivity all the way it starts to chatter alot and if I turn it down one bar it stops. Yes my cable is wrapped tight around the metal detector.

Does it chatter in different areas? Mine acts up at my house but is fine everywhere else.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions