First Club Experience

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
I finally joined a club here in Ind. at if theyare all like this I highly recommend them.I got there about 1/2 hr early and afew guys and gals are drinking coffee and swapping info.Made me feel very welcome.When the meeting started everyone introduced themselves and took care of all the club business.Then they awarded finds of the month which I won the coin and the jewelry division.They always have a club hunt after the meeting but because of bad weather they raffled off silver rounds and other silver coins.Everybody left with coins and some like myself with new valuable hunting info.Bottom line had a great time and looking forward to the next meeting.

bigrig

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Face it loop swinger, you're over 30,....over the hill dude! ;D I'm 60 and my tires wear out from the heat of keeping them going down the road to do things. I'm sure you will find and meet people of all ages if you join a club. One thing my Dad taught me about being around my elders is to keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut. :o That was good advice and I learned a lot from it. Check the forums, it's the old guys who are hauling in the good stuff for the most part. My kids are near your age and we are finding that as they grow older, have kids of their own and go out in the cruel world we have a lot more in common. We actually have some intelligent conversations at times instead of worrying about who's doing what to whom and where's the next big party. I'm finding that older folks can be pretty darn interesting now that I are one!

F

fleur325

Loop, I turn 31 next month, and I was worried about the same thing. Looking at the picture's posted on the local club's website, I definitely didn't see any other chicks my age.

loop swinger said:
Besides, I'm 31. Not too sure if I'll meet anyone around my age.

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Geez, jimmileo, I'd swing a coil with ya anyday and join a club with ya if it met my schedule. I'm hunting with a coulpe guys younger than me and they teach me something everytime we go out. They are the newbies but still they got fire. Think I'll take a nap now.

Wait a minute. Hey Fleur and Loop Swinger, if you can't keep up with people from the Hippie era or the Yuppie era so be it. But think of that guy napping on his BFO coil. He can tell you all those places no one else but he has been to and he's sure he "cleaned it all out" back in the 70's.

Sometimes you don't go there so much for what you will see as what you will hear.

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
LS: I think that you'd be surprised at the number of people in your age bracket; I'm also in my 30's. My love of history paired with the hope of "hittin' the big one" drew me to this wonderful hobby. I hope to be one of those old timers still swinging away; the funny thing is I think the kids at the playground that follow me around already think I am!!! :o

M

mrmark55

You could always spray a little silver on the hair and go in with with a cane and scope the place out before making any rash decisions!! And don't forget the shawl......Just kidding unfortunately I will hit the big 50 this year and just for the record I had painted the same mental picture of clubs until I actually visited a couple of them. Actually the first one that I went to was pretty much what you had pictured. But the other two that I visited were a laugh a minute and everyone was great. Just my 2 cents.
Mr Mark :D

GunFarce

Dec 26, 2004
Innisfil On Canada
Jimmileo's dad advice about being around my elders is right on.. My dad always used to tell me to never say "I Know" cuz while yer saying it, your missing out on learning something.. Reminds me of something attributed to Mark Twain and I paraphrase
" I left home when I was 16 because I could no longer tolerate my fathers stupidity.. I never returned until I was 22. I was simply amazed at how much the old boy had learned in only 6 years.. ;D

OP
OP
bigrig40

bigrig40

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2005
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
white's
at our meeting it was a variety of ages from 17 to 60ish, I am 40 myself.I had a good time, our next meeting is on my b-day so I got my fiance to go with me.By the way, besides age there was also 4 women in the club at we all had fun.

bigrig

F

fleur325

Let me explain.? I have no problem with any ages, but younger people tend to be more forgiving of my, well, eccentricities.?

See, my parents were a couple years too old to be hippies, but they WERE egghead beatnik types.? Add to that my mother was French and imbued me with a whole lot of general European-ness, and I get a lot of "You're not from around here" where I live (I'm not, I'm from Minnesota, which adds a whole 'nother level of "different"). So, I am as far from the traditional southerner as you can get.?

I am probably just not giving people a chance.? I didn't realise so many people were so willing to share the benefit of their experience.? Everyone's input has convinced me to go to a meeting, and BEG the old timers to talk to me.? Who knows, I may make LOTS of friends.? ? ;D

If nothing else, I have convinced all my girlfriends to let me detect in their yard, so maybe I can drag some of them with me? (husband is as antisocial as they get and would NEVER go)

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Guys, guess will have to spend some of the clads on Grecian Formula instead of batteries and show this young whippersnappers how it's done(just kidding LS) LOL. My grandad told me that God gave us two ears and one moith because we were supposed to hear twice as much as we say. Tell ya what, find a pretty girl and show her some of the nice jewelry you find-willing to bet a set of batteries she'll go with you next time out.

F

fleur325

Stoney! What a great idea! I could maybe even plant some cheapies just to draw them in. ;) I bet all my girls will get their own detector. Of course, maybe I will have beginner's luck and make an honest to goodness find of my own that will have them green with envy, anyhow.

stoney56 said:
Guys, guess will have to spend some of the clads on Grecian Formula instead of batteries and show this young whippersnappers how it's done(just kidding LS) LOL. My grandad told me that God gave us two ears and one moith because we were supposed to hear twice as much as we say. Tell ya what, find a pretty girl and show her some of the nice jewelry you find-willing to bet a set of batteries she'll go with you next time out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions