Hunting county courthouses

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As anyone ever hunted a courthouse yard before? Is it legal? I can't seem to find any specifics on hunting these grounds. If it is legal to do, who I ask within the courthouse to gain permission?

Reason for asking is I will be spending some time in my childhood town with a courthouse built in the mid 1800's....and thought this would be a sweet spot for all the past activities held on the grounds around the courthouse back in the day...

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Dig on!

Upvote 0

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
This sounds like a location where your gut tells you it's not permitted. If you were to ask, you seem pretty sure they would say no. Get caught digging holes at 5:30 am kind of shows you were trying to hide what you were doing. I suggest instead you go on a sunny afternoon, set up a bar b que gril and cook hotogs. If no one says anything start detecting. Always listen to your gut.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Do you have any good connections in the town that knows the mayor or police chief, that could help you out?

I searched our old court house lawn at 7 am on a Sunday morning, no one said anything to me. Just make sure you leave that lawn the same or better than you found it, absolutely NO evidence you dug anywhere, because if someone questions or stops you, you've got a "material witness" who can vouch for you!

I do live in the city where the court house is, so I would be a tad angry if told I can't MD it, since I pay all sorts of taxes here. People that use the court house throw trash; bottle tops, pop tops, tin foil etc. all over the place, and I clean it up as I detect & find coins, and I would show that trash to anyone that questions my right to be there. So far no problems. I will be detecting there agin soon.

I agree. You probably know at least ONE of the deputies well in small town Nebraska, don't you? Make SURE you are seen picking up trash that's on the surface. People have a hard time being mean to someone that is doing THEIR job, lol. If I was friends with a cop, mayor, jailer or court reporter, I'd remind them of that favor they owe you.

heartslayer2001

Oct 17, 2006
long prairie,mn
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, BOUNTY HUNTER 101
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all, i live in a small town in minnesota where our courthouse is on the historical registar. while they were updating it, i had the chance to go there and detect it, as for permission , i ask the chief of police and he said no problem go for it. anyway i hunted for 3 days and found nothing. not even a penny. kinda sad seeing its been there since 1890. The premise is to ask first. the chief also gave me some other places to hunt which i haven't been to yet. but will get there. by the way this was in long prairie,mn. there was a big story on it here and there is info and pics out there on the web. kinda cool to read about.

OP
OP
Beepin Husker

Beepin Husker

Feb 20, 2014
Husker Country
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, Garrett AT Pro, 2 Garrett Pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all, i live in a small town in minnesota where our courthouse is on the historical registar. while they were updating it, i had the chance to go there and detect it, as for permission , i ask the chief of police and he said no problem go for it. anyway i hunted for 3 days and found nothing. not even a penny. kinda sad seeing its been there since 1890. The premise is to ask first. the chief also gave me some other places to hunt which i haven't been to yet. but will get there. by the way this was in long prairie,mn. there was a big story on it here and there is info and pics out there on the web. kinda cool to read about.
thanks for the tip...I think I have a phone call to make since the police chief is the dad of an old school friend..... In small towns it's all about who ya know, and everybody knows everybody.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread