Help with locations in Boston, Mass and Hartford, CT area

Ambam

Greenie
Jun 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings!

I have been detecting for about a year now. I am based in St. Louis, MO but will be visiting Boston, Mass and Hartford CT next month for a week, and I have room to fly my detector out with me (:evil4:) so I've insisted that I get some time digging. We are planning a short trip around the area to "cross off" some of the states from our bucket list (Maine, New Hampshire, Rhode Island) and I would love to stop in a town in each state and dig a few targets. Most of my time will be spent in and around Hartford, CT and Boston, Mass. I know that a lot of areas are historical, so I was wondering if anyone could give specific recommendations for parks, schools or other areas that they know are open to MD'ing (or any areas I should absolutely avoid). I mostly do coinshooting, and I'll admit, I'd love to find my first pre-1900 coin (my current oldest is only a 1901 indian head penny).

If anyone has any suggestions (or lives in the areas and would let me dig their yard), I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Amberly

If your ever in St. Louis, MO check out: Midwest Coin Shooters and join us at a hunt!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Noticed this was your first post - so, welcome aboard! Take a look at Sub-Forums: Missouri, Sub-Forums: Massachusetts and Sub-Forums: Connecticut for information (i.e., clubs, etc.)....

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DONT THINK YOULL DO THAT GREAT IN HARTFORD OR BOSTON PROPER
DO SOME GGOOGLE RESAERCH AND TRY SOME OF THE SMALLER TOWNS OUTSIDE OF THESE CAPITALS
THERE ARE 100S OF TH'ERS IN AND AROUND BOTHTHESE CITIES
CT.AND MA. HAD THE HIGHEST CONCENTRATION OF TH'ERS BACK IN THE 70s AND EARLY 80s

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the public beaches that are under DCR parks control are still open to detecting. Don't know what detector you have but it should work ok on the dry sand part.
Parks are usually under the control of what ever city or town they are in. Most are ok, but again it's individual town rules. Just make sure your dug holes are neatly replaced. You should not be able to tell where you have dug a plug and replaced it, very important.

You probably know not to detect on National or local historic areas.

Not much left in my yard. :laughing7:

Welcome, good luck and happy hunting!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

Ambam

Greenie
Jun 16, 2014
St. Louis, MO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Brighton/Brookline area

I know where I'll be staying now. Looks like we'll be on Commonwealth Ave, near Brookline and Brighton. Any parks in that area known to be friendly?
I see the parks for Brookline State "No person shall handle, mutilate, remove or deface property in any public area, including, but not limited to, any tree, bush, plant, fern, flower, turf, rock, gravel, building, structure, bench, fence, sign or any other object which may be located in such public area." Anyone know how this is handled in person?

Thanks,

Amberly

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't find any public places you could ask where your staying if they know of or could recommend places. You could knock on doors. Give a call to one of the local MD'ing clubs they may be able to help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread