2078 in Finance

C

cachenut

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:13 pm Post subject: HB2078 in finance committee, vote on Tue or Wed. EMAIL Tonig

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[email protected], [email protected], [email protected],
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected]

Dear Sir or Madam:

I enjoy the hobby of coin and relic hunting. I do not want to see this hobby ruined and this is what bill HB2078 set out to do. Even though the laws attached to the bill were removed the position for an archaeologist to do this very thing still is in the bill. Please do what you can to stop this bill. There are some very good reasons as outlined below.

1. If the laws supporting the goals of this bill were improper why fund a position to accomplish the same improper goals?

2. The pay for this position, $96,039, seems too high when the average salary of an archaeologist working for the state of Virginia in 2003 was $42,480. Even though this figure contains dollars for benefits it still seems too high. Why is the salary so high?

3. The duties or tasks for this position are not defined other than to say they are the same as the director. Is this duplication of effort or duplication of personnel? Is the position description a secret? Please ask the patron for this bill to define what the new State Archaeologist will do within the text of the bill. The position seems to have no responsibilities attached to it.

4. Because the salary is high and the tasks are the same as the director of DHR it was suggested by others this bill may be the first step in establishing a new section or new directors position within DHR. I for one don?t want to help pay for more archaeologists trying to ruin my hobby. It sounds expensive.

5. Archaeologists want to have exclusive access to every site in Virginia where relics are found, legal authority to control any artifacts coming from private or public lands, and to control any graves on private land containing human remains. They were careful in crafting this last section on human remains to not restrict their access to human remains for the purposes of study or exhibition. I for one do not want my ancestors on exhibition. The archaeologists in Virginia do not need this authority and they need to learn moderation.

I know already the new state archaeologist will pursue the same goals as before the laws were struck from this bill. Please ask that the real duties for the position be defined in the bill and check on the salary level.

Because of all the reason I gave above this position is a waste of taxpayer money. Please vote no on bill HB2078 in the senate. How will you vote?

Thank You,

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cachenut

Those are the email addresses. If you want to continue relic huunting in VA get used to sending a few emails. The archaeologists have a 20 year plan now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread