Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mending my other "half" to metal detecting, I had a thought the other day that might benefit some people here. Out of college, my wife and I were both zookeepers and, in particular, I worked with all of the snakes, lizards, scorpions, spiders, and just about everything else that nobody wanted to go near. We're both teachers now, but we've kept up on the reptile thing as snake breeders on the side. One tool of the trade is our probe kit that we use to tell the gender of the snakes. I hear people on here talking about probing shallow targets with dull screwdrivers, and how they constantly need re-dulled, but I'm wondering if the snake probe kits we use would be a nice alternative.

I attached a picture, and you can see the ball on the end of each size (they're stainless steel). Not all probe kits have the ball on the end, but the ones by a company called Repro (I'm not affiliated with them at all, it's just the kind we use) have them and can be found on eBay for around $20.

Attachments

• probes.jpg
    probes.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 541
Upvote 0

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May work, how long is it? I also use my screw driver to pry up the coin.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They're about 6" long

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Is anyone else afraid to ask how you tell the gender of a snake with a metal probe?

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
haha yeah we get that a lot....

they have two pockets, one to the left and one to the right of the vent (sciency word for 'snake butt'). Choose and lubricate an appropriately sized probe, flip the snake over and insert into one of the two pockets until it stops. If it's real shallow it's a female, if it goes in relatively far, you're inside one of the inverted hemipenes of the snake, and you've got a boy....there's kind of an art to it.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a brass tip put on my screwdriver probe.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha yeah we get that a lot....

they have two pockets, one to the left and one to the right of the vent (sciency word for 'snake butt'). Choose and lubricate an appropriately sized probe, flip the snake over and insert into one of the two pockets until it stops. If it's real shallow it's a female, if it goes in relatively far, you're inside one of the inverted hemipenes of the snake, and you've got a boy....there's kind of an art to it.
Snakes are not fond of me to start with without trying to become their proctologist! Those probes don't look long enough to be effective as a coin probe. What kind of handle do they have? You need something large and comfortable in your palm. Somehow I could find another way to word that! :laughing7:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's 6" long, then the 1st or 2nd on the right look like the one I have. Mine is made from spring steel so it won't bend out of shape easy. Are these?

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
These are stainless...I've never really put them to the test of how much pressure it would take to bend one, however, as the snakes would probably not enjoy it.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is anyone else afraid to ask how you tell the gender of a snake with a metal probe?

The males turn around and bite you if you jab it up their . . . vent.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I haven't lost or broken this screw driver and the tip on it is worn and rounded and it's about 12" total length. I'd be looking for one longer than 12" makes it easier to probe the ground.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting