flarng

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2014
Northwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to be buying my first detector next week and I was wondering what to get. I live in Florida, but not near the beach, and was hoping to hunt for a variety of things. I'm not looking to brake the bank, so I was looking at the Garrett Ace 350. It looks really versatile, and the coil is water proof so I can hunt the lakes and rivers. Thanks for any help or advice.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck, and Welcome! You should also look at the Fisher F-2, Tesoro Silver Umax and Cibola, and the Minelab X-Terra 305.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What Terry said and the Teknetics EuroTek Pro!

BTW most coils on most machines are waterproof! It's not really an issue anymore!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give Phil a call over in Tampa, he can point you to what works best in FL within you budget. Great guy, great service, great prices.
Myers Metal Detectors

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am very happy w/ the 350, like you, not focused on the beach, but for old homes, it is a coin magnet. For a beginner, it is an excellent machine. I will prolly upgrade someday, but until then, very happy w/ it. Kellyco is where I started. Good luck

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Welcome aboard flarng. Minelab and Tesoro make great machines. GL and HH

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome flarng! If your interested I have a TeK Gamma 6000 with extra's that may be right up your ally for a great price. I am looking to purchase a Minelab Excal and need to downsize a bit first. Mint out of box cond for almost 1/2 price. If you may be interested drop me a pm.

Thanks and HH!

rldieter

Feb 26, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Ace 350 is a good machine, but I guarantee my next will be an AT Pro, in trashy areas my 350 doesn't have the recovery speed needed to sort out when there's trash next to a good target. the VDI & pro mode on the Pro is a good feature, price on them is dropping too. My friend bought a Pro and smokes my 350 ( found 3 Indian Head pennies in his backyard in the same area he used my 350 when he wasn't sure he wanted to get into the hobby). don't get me wrong, I love my 350 and it will pay for itself soon and hopefully for a new Pro.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beware of too many conflicting opinions. Most of the major manufacturer's models will get you started unless, for what you want to hunt, you really need a water machine, prospecting model, or all the bells and whistles. Every machine has different plusses or minuses compared to others, so a good, basic model should work for you starting out.
luvsdux

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the Garrett Ace 250...ive read many good things about it and for around $200 !!! Reviews were good too, contains many of the features of a higher priced machine. just my .02 worth...thx..ddf O-and like Lores sez...don't forget a good pinpointer!!

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a Whites distributor near to your location which might be a benefit to you. Look to local outlets if possible so you can have fast support if needed. The Garrett line has a lot of followers and good support but it is a long way from you unless there is a local dealer to work with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread