blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So recently I have been interested in a new pinpointer. I currently have a bounty hunter pinpointer and well it only gets about maybe half a inch depht. I was looking towards the Garrett propointer or the whites trx. Which is better and the pros and cons of both please and also depth for both. Thanks

Upvote 0

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are both very dependable pinpointers. The Garrett has been around for many years, so a portion of them breaking after awhile is not uncommon. The Whites has only been out a few months. They are both doing very well in the marketplace. They both have a two year warranty.

I used the Garrett Propointer for many years before recently switching to the TRX.

Wayne

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
If I was starting my pinpointer buying all over again right now, I would go straight to the TRX also. I've loved my Propointer though, and been lucky in having no breakdowns that wasn't operator error. For comments about the Garrett's being cheaper and buy that one? Some of that makes sense, but go look at what the two company's suggested retail is on both. There ain't enough difference. The rest of getting either pinpointer bought $ "right" is dealing with sponsors. Easy as pie IMO.

martin

SonoftheSouth

Greenie
Jun 23, 2014
TN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight for $15. Buy 2. It works flawlessly until it tears up and then just pitch it and get another. Garrett and TRX are the best but not worth the money by any means.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get the Cen-Tech from Harbor Freight for $15. Buy 2. It works flawlessly until it tears up and then just pitch it and get another. Garrett and TRX are the best but not worth the money by any means.

Lol. Might as well just bend a couple of coat hangers and go with that. I would go through 2 Cen-Techs a week.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next time this happens turn the Garrett off and back on again while it is in the hole and detune it. You'll be amazed at how well this works. Know how to use your equipment. Reading the instructions can't hurt!
I have two garretts. I have two because my first one broke when it was 22 months old. I abused it so bad that over an inch of the front was worn off. I abused the heck out of it. What broke is the switch and it broke in the on position so I could still finish out the day by unscrewing the battery to turn it off. I bought the second one so I had one while the other was sent to Texas to be fixed. Like others have said, that is how much I appreciate the tool. It came back fast and looked like a brand new unit but all the paperwork said they rebuilt it, replacing the shaft, switch, etc.
The White's unit sounds like a terrific tool and I wouldn't be against owning one but I already have two Garrett's.
I've said this before. I think both White's and Minelab have copied the Garrett very very well.
When you say White's and Minelab copied the Garrett is that because they are the same shape? Because if it is that simple all brands must be copies of Fishers first detector? I own all three and consider the Minelab and White's a generation ahead. Garrett needs to go back to the drawing board maybe a propointerII.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol. Might as well just bend a couple of coat hangers and go with that. I would go through 2 Cen-Techs a week.

Haha that was funny

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Obviously you have only used a Cen-Tech. Good luck with them, you don't know what you are missing.

SonoftheSouth

Greenie
Jun 23, 2014
TN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously you have only used a Cen-Tech. Good luck with them, you don't know what you are missing.
They last about a year of hard use unless submerged and I never missed anything. They never false either. Enjoy your $100+ toy, it will never pay for itself.

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget the Pistol Probe. Its pulse induction technology enables very precise location of targets 3" or so before you dig!

That might be of importance if you are having difficulty locating with the Bounty Hunter.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I might actually go with one and give it a shot. i got a bounty hunter pp and no offense to the company because they make great MD's, but this pinpointer sucks. It has to be dang near touching the metal before itll buzz. If they are all like that, then my mistake. Im a newbie and i have no comparison experience, so keep that in mind.

But thanks for providing a budget option for my poor butt. I will get one of these and test it compared to what i have now.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cen-tech is a waste of $15, they don't last 30 minutes. Junk.

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cen-tech is a waste of $15, they don't last 30 minutes. Junk.

I was reading the reviews and it seems like most folks agree the button is junk. But i can easily repair that with some buttons i got already laying around the house. Now if i could get a whites or garrett i would in a heartbeat. But im use to lower quality stuff and repairing them by now, got my own soldering/repair kit going from fixing the kids toys.

What was wrong with yours, any idea?

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The HF pointer is an experience to its self. I have had three and the first one I picked up broke (playing with it) while I was waiting in line to pay for it. The other two broke the probe end off (I epoxied them back) while in my hand in soft dirt to steady myself while I leaned to dig with the other hand. They are just not very sturdy and the shell plastic is somewhat brittle. I knew about the switch so I would just turn it on at the beginning of the hunt and off when finished. Trying to break my habit of catching my balance with the pointer in my hand is another story.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried the cen-tech when I first started out and when it's warm outside it just goes bananas and falses non-stop. And the button is junk, and the depth is weak.After a frustating episode with it I trashed it and invested in a better piece of equipment.

Last edited:

SonoftheSouth

Greenie
Jun 23, 2014
TN
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold it in the air, hold in the button, turn the sensitivity knob until it alerts, then turn back until it stops. It's ready to go. I've never had any trouble with them regardless of the temperature. the button is usually the first thing to break. There are tutorials on how to replace the button with a better one, but I have always just bought another one.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Better solution...lay it on a flat rock, stomp repeatedly, go buy a whites TRX or garrett.

Last edited:

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an old whites pin pointer changed the on/off button 3 times had it for years. Would have bought the TRX but they weren't out then, so I got a Garrett's pro pointer no problems so far.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Blong, You might ask the question a little different because there is the old science pointers which are single function like the Bounty Hunter and Gpp. Now we have the new science pointers like the TRX, Minelab, and Vulcan which are adjustable in function. You might also ask about the history of repair/failure for which ever unit someone might recommend. Then once you have that data you can make your choice. Good luck[/QUOTE ]

Did you notice the Harbor Freight Is adjustable and cost only $16? Frank...-
hand print-2_edited-5.jpg

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blong, You might ask the question a little different because there is the old science pointers which are single function like the Bounty Hunter and Gpp. Now we have the new science pointers like the TRX, Minelab, and Vulcan which are adjustable in function. You might also ask about the history of repair/failure for which ever unit someone might recommend. Then once you have that data you can make your choice. Good luck[/QUOTE ]

Did you notice the Harbor Freight Is adjustable and cost only $16? Frank...-
View attachment 1020366

I have also been thru three of them (the first one broke while I was playing with in line waiting to pay for it) and for the price I could understand having a failure rate as it does. But take that price and divide it into the $127 price of the Gpp I would think that being it cost nearly 9 times less than the Gpp it would have an equal amount of failures but I feel it actually gives equal or better reliability performance than the Garrett in a lot of cases. And like you said it does have adjustable sensitivity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread