blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD2, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Garrett AT PRO,
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So recently I have been interested in a new pinpointer. I currently have a bounty hunter pinpointer and well it only gets about maybe half a inch depht. I was looking towards the Garrett propointer or the whites trx. Which is better and the pros and cons of both please and also depth for both. Thanks

Upvote 0

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a boat load of threads in this and the other forum site .. TRX is the way to go.. it has all be written a dozen times over..
Scroll thought here http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/white-s/ should be a bunch.. scroll down in this forum.. take a look around..

Last edited:

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TRX or Whites.

I have a Garrett also, but I don't use it because it tends to false a lot.

You shouldn't have to send a pinpointer in every 6 months to get it fixed like you do the Garrett. Good warrantee though, but if they didn't have good warantees, they'd be out of business.

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blong, You might ask the question a little different because there is the old science pointers which are single function like the Bounty Hunter and Gpp. Now we have the new science pointers like the TRX, Minelab, and Vulcan which are adjustable in function. You might also ask about the history of repair/failure for which ever unit someone might recommend. Then once you have that data you can make your choice. Good luck

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blong, You might ask the question a little different because there is the old science pointers which are single function like the Bounty Hunter and Gpp. Now we have the new science pointers like the TRX, Minelab, and Vulcan which are adjustable in function. You might also ask about the history of repair/failure for which ever unit someone might recommend. Then once you have that data you can make your choice. Good luck

Thanks for helping me out on some of the questions

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own most of the pointers made. The TRX is simply the best of the bunch.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own most of the pointers made. The TRX is simply the best of the bunch.

You said you own most of the pinpointers. Dose the Garrett pro pointer have lots of problems and have to be sent in every couple months and what about the falsing.

Did you have any problems with the trx like it falsing or breaking on you. And did it ever have to be sent back for any reason. I also heard it has a dead spot on the side dose it make it harder to pinpoint

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started detecting about a year ago and have only used a Garrett Pro Pointer. I have probably 25 hours of use in it so far. It has never falsed on me and no issues whatsoever with needing any maintenance. As someone else already mentioned, there are many existing threads on pointers. Best of luck on your research and happy hunting 8-)

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You said you own most of the pinpointers. Dose the Garrett pro pointer have lots of problems and have to be sent in every couple months and what about the falsing. Did you have any problems with the trx like it falsing or breaking on you. And did it ever have to be sent back for any reason. I also heard it has a dead spot on the side dose it make it harder to pinpoint

I have had good luck with my Garrett PP for the last 2 years and have not had to send it back for repair. I do have to put a spacer in the battery compartment because it will get wacky with the loose battery. It will false on occasion by turning it off and on fixes it. The TRX has been rock solid since I got it the day they came out. I have to problem using the tip and actually prefer it. The sensitivity is twice as good and the rachet feature as you get close to the target is killer. For $8 more there is no comparison. My GPP is my backup now.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
I've had my TRX since March and yes, it has gone wonky a handful of times where it starts beeping everywhere including the air. Off and on has resolved is so far. Point is...the trx has some weaknesses but we've not had enough samples and sample time to judge it that well.

The GPP on the other hand, has an enormous number of units in the field to sample after years of being sold. It is human nature that we'll mostly hear the negative experiences with them. Like the old saying, "It takes 10 optimists to bring one pessimist up, yet it takes only one pessimmist to bring down 10 optimists."

I use my TRX by choice but I won't be without my trustworthy GPP. I've been fortunate, my 2 GPPs are still fine after 4 years. It would be even better if it would match the TRX in depth without sliding a coin etc. along the side. Yet the GPP has been very reliable for me. martin

Btw you'll likely wonder why I have two GPPs if the first one was solid. I tried taking it apart to clean it one day and broke the switch, my error. Garretts still repaired it for free. I bought the second one on the spur of the moment when I knew I was gonna be without a GPP for a single day. I feel that strongly about not being without one. Now that the TRX is out, I'd likely do the same with that one and have two also but I'm set with my spare GPP. m

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 4 different pin pointers and have used the Garrett and White's but don't own them. I found the Uniprobe to be the best land unit for me and the Vibraprobe to be an excellent water pin pointer. I still have my 22 year old TinyTec which works fine and has never failed me. It's just the newer ones are more ergonomic and have better depth. The Uniprobe is incorporated into a set of headphones, so only you will hear the sound. If you've hunted a site with an audience, you'll know how valuable that can be! It also has excellent depth and a very light and slim design probe. I find it very convenient that the probe is tethered to the headset with a coiled cable. No way you'll accidentally leave it somewhere.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've found my Garrett to be much more reliable after putting a coin between the battery and the screw down cover to make a stronger connection at the contact end.
luvsdux

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the GPP and have used and abused it. It is still going strong after 1.5 years of use. A few times I did get falsing. On/Off solved that problem. In my opinion too much depth on a pinpointer is not good. They call it a pin pointer for a reason and that is to pin point a target. Too much depth makes it harder to do this. I would say depth-wise the GPP is perfect for depth and maybe to deep sometimes.

You mention the TRX only pinpointing from the end and not the side like the GPP. I wish the GPP did this and did not pinpoint off the side. Heres why- when you dig a small hole 3" wide and you are about 6" deep, you can stick the probe down in the hole and hear it go off. You dig deeper and the same thing happens. You digger even deeper and the same thing happens. The reason this happens is because the GPP is reading the target which is in the side of the hole and not at the tip. You don't know this so you dig deeper. I like the idea of only pinpointing off the tip.

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the GPP and have used and abused it. It is still going strong after 1.5 years of use. A few times I did get falsing. On/Off solved that problem. In my opinion too much depth on a pinpointer is not good. They call it a pin pointer for a reason and that is to pin point a target. Too much depth makes it harder to do this. I would say depth-wise the GPP is perfect for depth and maybe to deep sometimes.

You mention the TRX only pinpointing from the end and not the side like the GPP. I wish the GPP did this and did not pinpoint off the side. Heres why- when you dig a small hole 3" wide and you are about 6" deep, you can stick the probe down in the hole and hear it go off. You dig deeper and the same thing happens. You digger even deeper and the same thing happens. The reason this happens is because the GPP is reading the target which is in the side of the hole and not at the tip. You don't know this so you dig deeper. I like the idea of only pinpointing off the tip.

That makes sense now for it having the dead spot. I never thought of it that way.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense now for it having the dead spot. I never thought of it that way.
Being sensitive on only the tip works great and I have come to prefer it that way. As far as depth you can turn it down to only go as deep as the garrett or turn it up to nearly twice as deep take your pick. As far as the garrett I have had two and neither lasted 6 months with out going wacky falsing all the time.

GatorBoy

Gold Member
May 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found my Garrett to be much more reliable after putting a coin between the battery and the screw down cover to make a stronger connection at the contact end.
luvsdux

Exactly

OP
OP
blong10

blong10

Apr 9, 2014
New Castle
Detector(s) used
X-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So there is a high chance the Garrett pro pointer will fail after a year or so. And get random falsing. I just googled Garrett pro pointer problems and a lot of people are saying they are breaking within a year.

Does anybody know what the failure rate is on the Garrett pro pointer compared to the trx. I just want to make a good purchase and not worry about it falling apart.

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So there is a high chance the Garrett pro pointer will fail after a year or so. And get random falsing. I just googled Garrett pro pointer problems and a lot of people are saying they are breaking within a year.

Does anybody know what the failure rate is on the Garrett pro pointer compared to the trx. I just want to make a good purchase and not worry about it falling apart.

If I were you I would get the TRX and not look back. Just senses at the tip and has adjustable depth. Last year I would have told you to get the GPP because the TRX was not an option yet. If you don't like the TRX you can sell it to me.

Jbeachler

May 11, 2014
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got into MD about 3 months ago with a Ace 250 and a GPP. The PP went wacky after a few weeks. Started signaling as soon as you turned it on. An email to Kellyco where I purchased it and I had a new one within the week, and they emailed a shipping label for the defective one. The replacement has been rock solid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800

Next time this happens turn the Garrett off and back on again while it is in the hole and detune it. You'll be amazed at how well this works. Know how to use your equipment. Reading the instructions can't hurt!
I have two garretts. I have two because my first one broke when it was 22 months old. I abused it so bad that over an inch of the front was worn off. I abused the heck out of it. What broke is the switch and it broke in the on position so I could still finish out the day by unscrewing the battery to turn it off. I bought the second one so I had one while the other was sent to Texas to be fixed. Like others have said, that is how much I appreciate the tool. It came back fast and looked like a brand new unit but all the paperwork said they rebuilt it, replacing the shaft, switch, etc.
The White's unit sounds like a terrific tool and I wouldn't be against owning one but I already have two Garrett's.
I've said this before. I think both White's and Minelab have copied the Garrett very very well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread