Where does a gold ring hit on the AT Pro indicator?

treasurehunter313

Apr 29, 2014
PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold rings Ive found read from 42 to 80. Size and Karat factor into the number they read. Most rings read in the 50s. The ring your looking for is likely between 45 and 55...good luck.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a gold ring with the ace 250 shows up as a poptop, pulltab area.

Just go over the area in more than one direction or after a good rain I found you will locate things where you have all ready been
if you change directions. And after a rain the signals seem to be stronger.
Those are two very good tips. Some targets will only hit from one direction because of trash next to them. I love hunting wet ground.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First ask the owner how big the ring is and what exactly it's made of. Small wire type gold rings can read in the foil range and be a weak scratchy sound, especially white gold. Small platinum reads in that range too. Your average size gold band is right where nickels and pull tabs read. Larger class rings can read as high as a zinc cent. I'd give the area a quick scan to see if it jumps out at you. If it doesn't, grid the area and dig everything above iron....solid sound or not.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, now that you have waded thru the above posts, THINK!
It's a garden! There will be little if any trash. Just dig all signals.
It's that simple. Frank...-
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, some don't have meters at all.
I never use the meter to decide whether or not to dig. Its just fun having a good idea of whats coming out of the ground...of course it could be anything...the numbers cant tell you what its going to be but they can tell you what its not.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Depending on size of gold target, size of coil, sense setting, alloy, target depth, mineralization, masking, maybe even soil moisture content, anywhere from 1 to 99 or so.

nscrcr8z

Jun 4, 2011
cullman al
Detector(s) used
v3i/ xl 6000 pro/AT pro, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It'll ring Anywhere from high 30s to high 50s the ones I've found rang that

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cover your screen with duct tape so you won't pass by the ring. The ring could be white 10 Kt. or even less so it could ring up in the Mid 40's. Just go for the repeatable beep and don't turn on Iron Audio. In fact you'll go deeper in all metal if the garden has ever been tilled. ATP doesn't have fast enough response time so if iron is very near the ring, you'll never know it unless you dig everything like Eddie said.

Good Luck,

Sandman

Arms.JPG

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Super fast.

Agreed, its one of the top things about the detector, extremely fast recovery time. I hear people say "swing slow"…….well, not if you have an AT Pro! Sometimes I will swing slower, but if you're not using the advantages of your detector, you may as well buy a very basic detector and pay less. AT Pro has fast recovery, so I can swing a bit faster, cover ground faster.

I will likely get some criticisms on this part, but I do the same as far as "dig everything". I don't agree in digging everything. I agree in understanding your environment, and based on not just the sound and signal, but also based on the pinpoint, the iron audio, maybe a sweep at 6" high…….lots of data…….I may decide not to dig. Because I know in a certain environment its going to be trash. Digging everything can slow you down. Now if I had a park that was near my house and i wanted to clean it out and it was really trashy, then yeah, you almost always need to clear the trash, or you will never get the gold because of the masking. But in most my environments like the beach, they are not very trashy.

My point is you definitely want to know the strengths of the at pro and use them to your advantage

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The gold rings I have found have been in between 48-55 on the AT.

Garden? Dig all of em.... I have found some great tokens and watch fobs and lead toys in gardens (vegetable gardens) . The ring is the mission..... but dont pass up some cool bonuses.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, its one of the top things about the detector, extremely fast recovery time. I hear people say "swing slow"…….well, not if you have an AT Pro! Sometimes I will swing slower, but if you're not using the advantages of your detector, you may as well buy a very basic detector and pay less. AT Pro has fast recovery, so I can swing a bit faster, cover ground faster.

I will likely get some criticisms on this part, but I do the same as far as "dig everything". I don't agree in digging everything. I agree in understanding your environment, and based on not just the sound and signal, but also based on the pinpoint, the iron audio, maybe a sweep at 6" high…….lots of data…….I may decide not to dig. Because I know in a certain environment its going to be trash. Digging everything can slow you down. Now if I had a park that was near my house and i wanted to clean it out and it was really trashy, then yeah, you almost always need to clear the trash, or you will never get the gold because of the masking. But in most my environments like the beach, they are not very trashy.

My point is you definitely want to know the strengths of the at pro and use them to your advantage
Your right, you will miss some good finds by not digging it all but how many good finds will you miss by spending your time digging junk. There is no right or wrong way, you just have to hunt the way that you like...its all about enjoying yourself and having fun.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Not only can you swng the pro fast but you can also swing it extremely slow in real trashy areas and pick out goodies less than an inch from trash. I listen to everything(not a fan of descrimination) and pick out what I want to dig with my ears. It is very nice to be able to add a digital number to items but the sounds are the key. I think many people don't do as well at this hobby because they don't have a good ear. Kind of like one that try's to sing a tune but can't find the notes, or carry a note, or, worse yet, cant' tell the difference.
I found 8 gold rings last year and have two this year and am landlocked and haven't been within miles of a beach. They'll hit anywhere from low 40's to low 80's.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not only can you swng the pro fast but you can also swing it extremely slow in real trashy areas and pick out goodies less than an inch from trash. I listen to everything(not a fan of descrimination) and pick out what I want to dig with my ears. It is very nice to be able to add a digital number to items but the sounds are the key. I think many people don't do as well at this hobby because they don't have a good ear. Kind of like one that try's to sing a tune but can't find the notes, or carry a note, or, worse yet, cant' tell the difference.
I found 8 gold rings last year and have two this year and am landlocked and haven't been within miles of a beach. They'll hit anywhere from low 40's to low 80's.
Yeah, in trashy areas I call it " fishing out a target"...You get a good tone mixed in with iron tones, then I wiggle my coil real tight and change angles until I isolate the target with repeatable good signals...very satisfying feeling to fish a good find out of the trash. Slow in trashy areas is the way to go.

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
If yer not diggin nickels and foil and slaw and tabs and lead and brass cartridge cases and bullets and brass tokens and other brass crap like store cards and dog tags and tax tokens and ferry tokens and hotel tokens and trolly tokens and train tokens and store tokens and medals and such and also aluminum tokens and other aluminum crap like store cards and dog tags and tax tokens and ferry tokens and hotel tokens and trolly tokens and train tokens and store tokens and medals and all the other brass and aluminum crap like fobs and stuff the list is long and crushed up die cast chunks of crap and white metal small toys of vast variety and lead soldiers and stuff and brass buttons and charms and cheap brass trinkets and rare brass relics and old brass jewelry crap and old lead toys and corroded bronze crap like crusty indian cents and the like and watch fobs made of brass and aluminum, well then, you just aint digging gold crap and stuff. Try to throw numbers at it. Just try it.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found all that crap and a glass rabbit eating a carrot right next to a pull tab $_35.JPG Just like this one intact. Been looking for Alice to show up next....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions