Advice needed from the pros here

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
BH sharpshooter II, BH pioneer 202, garrett csi pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The past few days spending time outside blind digging with my daughter kylee, has become a new-found hobby for the both of us that we enjoy doing together very much. Sure beats sitting around inside on the pc most the time! We have found some cool stuff so far, and it has me thinking the area is basically untouched if we can blind dig and find the things we have so far. Plus we live right in the heart of washington on the brazos area in brenham, which has a ton of history in texas.

I have been hooked to this hobby now as is kylee and am currently looking to purchase a metal detector. I plan to do this with some spare fingerhut credit i have up to $297 after shipping to spend on their models. Money is tight since my lady isn't working anymore to homeschool, so i think financing would be my only option.

You guys clearly know way more then i do about these detectors and we would like a good starter one that will find the good stuff also, not too heavy for a kiddo to have a few swings and dont have to be anything fancy. We will likely wait for that till we hit a great find if we do.

So can anyone here recommend a best value for the product metal detector from fingerhuts lineup of offerings?

Upvote 0

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just me, but I would lean toward that Tekenetics that is around $297 on the Fingerhut website. You might consider spending a little less on one of those Bounty Hunter models (I never used one) and then spend some money on a cheap pinpointer like the Fisher on Kellyco. I would look closely at the Bounty Hunter models on the Fingerhut website and then go to Kellyco and take a closer look at the features and reviews if you go that route. A pinpointer will speed up the recovery time and help them to be excited. You can also take turns using the pinpointer.

Truthfully, a lot of the "bells and whistles" will not really matter for your kids. If you had the ability to purchase anywhere, I would look at getting them one of the cheaper Garrett models or a Tesoro Compradre. The Compradre will find things, is light and about as simple as it gets; one knob. You can also telescope the handle fairly low. My 7 year uses one.

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I had to buy from Fingerhut and had to keep it under $300 I would go with the Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200...its very light and will work fine for what you want to do.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will work awesome , for you and her ! very light weight! Another activity for you and Kylee.( I think I called her kayllee in your post about the OLD KEY , sorry) is sifting ! there are so many non metal items in ground , marbles, bones , glass buttons , try planting beds near door of house around/ under porches and near foundation, you can use 1" chicken wire to get large stuff out , than put thru smaller mesh sizes you'll be amazed at what you find !

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That will work awesome , for you and her ! very light weight! Another activity for you and Kylee.( I think I called her kayllee in your post about the OLD KEY , sorry) is sifting ! there are so many non metal items in ground , marbles, bones , glass buttons , try planting beds near door of house around/ under porches and near foundation, you can use 1" chicken wire to get large stuff out , than put thru smaller mesh sizes you'll be amazed at what you find !

lol we found some what looks like old t bone steak bones come to think of it now, and all kinds of rusted up beyond identifiable metals. We found some more stuff in the same hole area as that key i posted the other day, kylee pulled a pesos out of the side of the hole that made me heart skip a beat and had her screaming pirate treasure! Got a diamond/cubic zirconia out of the same hole, a marble and another peso. Thanks for the advice, these detectors are so many in style and function its like learning a whole new language

No biggy on the name, we get that alot, and our son kade is often mistaken short for kaden. But i do got some old chicken wire lying around somewhere from tomato plants, will check see it it is the smaller kind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice, these detectors are so many in style and function its like learning a new language

Lores

Apr 15, 2014
Virginia Beach, Virginia
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro ACE 250 Garrett Pro Pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check craigslist. I know you have a credit at finger hut. Check craigslist.

OP
OP
kyleeskastles

kyleeskastles

Jun 21, 2014
birthplace of texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Checked out craigslist but they amazingly didnt have anything in my area worth getting. Being from here i would of thought there was more enthusiast in the MD field considering the history.

But anywho, we called fingerhut to try and get a small credit increase since we havent had one in forever now to get the one linked i was thinking about. Not only did the approve me, but they even knocked off a instant $45 bucks off the price! Not bad at all considering everything it comes with, headphones, pinpointer, bags etc. So i couldnt pass up that deal at all, thats not much more then paying outright cash for one really.

Cant wait for it to come in and get started on some spots instead of digging up the whole yard

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread