What is the oldest metal detector in use?

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what is the oldest metal detector that you are using. We all like to up grade, but there must be some old detectors still kicking around. Maybe they were called Mine Detectors and used by the army, but later bought for civilian use. Anyway, I thought it might be interesting to see some of the old detectors, and the story about them.

Upvote 0

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My cz-20,bought it new in 93-94

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still using a Bounty Hunter 840 Automatic, purchased in 1980. I have some later models; but like this one best.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have a Compass 77b I keep around for specific occasions/needs. They see through nails really well. Those date to about 1972 to '74-ish.

shawninNY

Oct 2, 2013
Detector(s) used
Xlt/Dfx/BHID , Excaliber, nowCtx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Compass 77b I keep around for specific occasions/needs. They see through nails really well. Those date to about 1972 to '74-ish.
72? Wow and it could discriminate? Or give 2 signals ? My favorite was a 02 xlt I was very proficient with that machine! Lost it in a fire 2011 ,

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My oldest is a radio shack/bounty hunter 2000. It was my first detector and it's what got me in to the hobby. Found it for $5 at a yard sale and I found my first large cent and first silver with it. Now it has wires taped up inside and out and has a home fixed broken shaft but still works the same and I let friends use it if they ever want to come out with hunting with me. It's not to good to look at but can still find the goods! :)

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Wow, some old timer machines still in use!
I have a mid 80's Garrett MH7 that I will still use because I have a two box for it. Otherwise, it uses too much battery juice. (takes 6 nine volts and only good for maybe 18 hours) It's heavy, too.
I did use it up until 2011 when a hot spot opened up and I got back into the hobby on a regular basis. At that point I upgraded and the battery issue is no longer any issue at all.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still have my first machine....a Treasure Probe IV....circa 1970. Doesn't work anymore, thank goodness. Miserable machine compared to today's units. Found a lot of silver with it back then though.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a Falcon MD that we got back in the mid 1970's. It still works too.

callmez

May 25, 2014
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a C&G Tomcat that was my 2nd detector, as a kid hunting with my Dad in the '70s. This is a late '70s unit I believe, a TR; my Dad had the Bobcat which was a VLF unit. Pulled it out a couple months ago and am only getting a couple inches of depth with it but that was enough to find a few coins with my 4 year old son and generate enough enthusiasm to buy a new unit. C&G was a predecessor of Tesoro. Before that I had a small Compass non-discriminator, I think it was a 'Nugget'.

Without making some repairs to get a little more depth though, I think the C&G will serve mostly as a dust collector from here on out.

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I broke out my 24 year old Micronta 4003 from radio Shack about three weeks ago. It's a pretty pathetic unit but it gave me the bug years ago when I received it as a gift and dug up my first coin (along with massive amounts of trash). After attempting to use it for one day I went on Craigslist and found a BH Tracker IV for 20 bucks. I've been out detecting as much as I can ever since.

I know a 12 year old kid who is expressing interest in detecting and I'm going to clean the old unit up and give it to him some time next week. Hopefully the seed will be planted for him as it was for me even though the detector isn't much to work with. It does teach you how to use the discrimination controls. It just doesn't detect very deep at all.

Had I never gotten that old detector I wouldn't be writing this post right now so I am very grateful that It came my way way back when.

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a White's 5000/D that I bought in 1978 I believe. Still works fine, the boy uses it every now and then but I can't bring myself to fire it up anymore. Lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
72? Wow and it could discriminate? Or give 2 signals ? My favorite was a 02 xlt I was very proficient with that machine! Lost it in a fire 2011 ,

Hi Shawn, I guess you could call it "discrimination". If you passed a nail, it would null. However, that trick only worked with small iron. So ... for example .... if you passed a larger piece of cast iron, or a big RR spike, etc..., it would over-power that ability, and sound off. But with a tell-tale sound though :) Thus, anyhow, yes it would disc. out small iron. But the ability to "discriminate" ended there. All other conductors (from foil up to silver dollars) sounded exactly the same .

There were some primitive ascending/descending conductivity discriminators in the early '70s (and even an attempt at a BFO that could discriminate). But they were pretty crude off-brand attempts, etc.... It wasn't till about '74-ish or '75-ish that you started to see discriminators, as we know them today, appear on detectors.

Sheppie22

Jun 9, 2011
Milford, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac,
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett AT Max
Minelab Equinox 800 and 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just donated a Garrett Groundhog circa 1980 to Kodiak43351's young son. Still in working order. A heck of a machine in it's day.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My Fisher 1260X. bought it in '84 and I still use it when my arm gets too tired for the E-Trac. But then '84 was modern times to our 70's guys here....

lifeoncelost

Jun 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also have a Compass 77b automatic with 2 coils from the 70's. This was a top of the line detector back in the day.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey maipenrai!! Still have my ole Garrett Groundhog I purchased in 1980, still Beeps, but my ATPro smokes it!! GOOD LUCK and GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions