Using an Ace 250 with a 6.5" x 9" coil. Should I invest in a larger coil?

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upvote 0

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Normally in park settings ie "trashy" a smaller coil is preferred for better target seperation.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CladGrabber is telling you right. I've found over the years that the standard size and smaller coils are much more useful most of the time that larger ones with the exception of detecting large areas that are relatively trash free.
luvsdux

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just recently up graded from the 250 to a AT GOLD, I had previously purchased a 10 by 14 accelerator coil for the 250. the bigger coil seemed to go deeper but was worse in the trashy areas. I immediately regretted not applying the money spent on the coil towards the up grade. I was then torn between the pro and the gold but settled on the gold. it has been a very happy up grade. sometimes we have to live within our means or with what we are willing to put up with until we can get or justify the extra expense of an up grade. hope this helps a little.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The first upgrade most people do that park hunt is buy a smaller coil. If you do upgrade to the ATPro buy it with the 5x8 and skip the stock coil all together.

OP
OP
A

AnonymousTurker

May 2, 2014
New Bedford Mass
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I figured this was the answer but I figured someone here went thru the same line of thinking as I have. Thank you for putting me on the right path.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT PRO and have the stock coil and a 5x8 coil... You need the right coil for the correct type of hunting you are doing. The 5x8 is awesome in yards and high trash areas. I use it most of the tme. I yesterday ordered a NEL 15" coil for open feilds that are low on trash to get the most depth on coins. I hope to be able to find say a dime at 10" with this bigger coil. You need to decide where you hunt the most? If its beaches and feids go up in size, if its old houses and trashy areas buy the 5x8... you will love it...

Gary from Oregon

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found several silver coins with the 8.5x11 DD in spots that I had hit pretty hard with the stock 6x9 coil. I believe the bigger coil makes this machine a lot better. I have never tried the smaller sniper coil on it, mostly because I like to hunt as deep as possible. Also, the stock 6 x 9 coil ALWAYS gave a false signal when it touched grass or any other object protruding from the ground. The DD coil doesn't do that.

Last edited:

Jublain

Oct 16, 2013
Des Arc, AR
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would just get the ATPro and never look back. I opted for a vaquero and I don't miss using the ACE at all.

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have an at pro but did start with an ace 250. Just up grade to the at pro I don't miss my ace at all either, hated that thing.

alwayssearching

May 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was using the 250 for years and pretty happy, it's a coin finding son of a gun. Then about six months ago I got the 350, great machine, but felt like if I was going to continue to drag around a machine that I wanted every advantage possible. So, four weeks after getting my 350, I went back and got the AT Pro. I should have had this machine all along, the equipment makes a difference. My son uses the 350 now, and almost every time we go out I am finding more coins, two to one, more silver dimes, and just have a sense that I doing a better job hunting. Go to the AT Pro as soon as you can, it truly makes a huge difference....

topdogintampa

Apr 19, 2014
Tampa Bay
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Teknetics Gamma 6000, Treasure Com TC3X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would look to put the $$$ towards the AT with a 5 X 8 coil first then, if you keep the Ace 250, upgrade to a larger coil for the cleaner spots and a backup/loner unit. The AT with the 5 X 8 coil will work for the trashier places and the wet enviroments.

Just my 2 cents...

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread