Who owns it?

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally yes, parking strips are public property. Unfortunately many property owners don't know this and think it belongs to them.
Because of this I will not hunt, without permission, the one's that appear to be kept up by the property owners out of respect for them. It's just not worth the argument.
I love hunting parking strips and I just make a judgement call as far as whether I hunt it or not depending on the location and the look of it. Only had one confrontation in doing so and just left.

OP
OP
dale3fan28

dale3fan28

Jul 15, 2013
Lake Charles, La
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO & Ace 250, ProPointer
Most of the ones i see are just outside of downtown by a block or two and are closed businesses or churches

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Most of the ones i see are just outside of downtown by a block or two and are closed businesses or churches

old-n-broken is right: they are public eavesment. There's been many many threads on the legal nuances of how it's exactly worded, but the bottom line is, you can walk there, whistle dixie there, stand there, etc... You would simply be bound by whatever municipal codes exist in that city . Ie.: perhaps nudity is forbidden. Noise ordinances in effect. Destruction and vandalism of public property would come into play, etc.. But basically: if nothing in the city code said "no metal detecting", then presto, detecting is not dis-allowed. As long as you're not leaving holes and destruction, etc...

But as old-n-broken also says: this doesn't necessarily mean that a homeowner will know this. Or believe that you're not about to make a mark, etc... However, the ones he's talking about that he "asks permission" for, would be the ones in front of private homes. I don't think that the type scenario you're describing (commercial districts, or in front of abandoned places, or churches, or multi-unit type apartments and such), are in the same camp. I would not bother asking permission for those. Just go.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's publicly owned property and not otherwise forbidden, I don't ask permission from anybody. If it's landscaped real nice, it's usually a waste of time hunting anyway as it's probably been resodded since silver was dropped. I like the old looking, un-cared-for looking areas....bare ground preferred. I hunt the business district on weekends or when they're closed and residential in the early morning or later in the evening when there are no lookie-loos around. No use having needless confrontations if you can easily avoid them. Even doing that is no guarantee you won't come across a "land baron" who thinks they own the sidewalk, grass, and street in front of their house. When you come across one of those knuckleheads, just smile and wave and move on down the road.

dahut

Nov 6, 2004
Lee's Tavern Road
Detector(s) used
21 years behind a coil

Fisher F70
Bounty Hunter Lone Star
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's publicly owned property and not otherwise forbidden, I don't ask permission from anybody. If it's landscaped real nice, it's usually a waste of time hunting anyway as it's probably been resodded since silver was dropped. I like the old looking, un-cared-for looking areas....bare ground preferred. I hunt the business district on weekends or when they're closed and residential in the early morning or later in the evening when there are no lookie-loos around. No use having needless confrontations if you can easily avoid them. Even doing that is no guarantee you won't come across a "land baron" who thinks they own the sidewalk, grass, and street in front of their house. When you come across one of those knuckleheads, just smile and wave and move on down the road.

This.
tuja3e7a.jpg

Sent from my mobile device using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread