Bounty Hunter Fortune Hunter

Sideways Sherry

May 7, 2014
Currently in Arden, NC. Previously in SoCal, NoCal
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi,

I got a brand new BH Fortune Hunter from a friend about a week ago. I want to go MD for gold/gold nuggets where gold is currently being found. Can anyone tell me what the best settings for gold is for this MD? Is there a specific coil I should be using over the basic one that came with it?

Thanks for your valued input.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Sherry, that machine is not designed for nuggets. It's a coin/relic/jewelry machine. Nuggets found in nature are rarely bigger than pinheads and grain-of-rice sized. So detectors made to find nuggets, are different that machines like yours.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Or you could look at it on the bright side, the only nuggets you will find will be worth a lot of money. ;)

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try taking that detector to playgrounds, schools and tot lots. Set the discrimination low and search for gold in the form of jewelry. You might get lucky and you will have a lot of fun.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a nugget coil for a lot of the Bounty hunter detectors. Does it help? I don't know.
bh-4coil.gif

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't have a test nugget or small gold clasp from a necklace, ball up aluminum foil into BB sized piece or smaller.
Set your detector to discriminate just above iron (disc out iron). That is how you will want to set if for gold.
See how well it does detecting the aluminum foil. That should give you an idea how it will do on small nuggets.
Mineralized soil conditions will affect depth so if you air test, that is the best it will do on the small stuff.
While it's not a gold specific detector, it might work satisfactory till you can upgrade.
All detectors will detect gold. Not all detectors are suited to the task of nugget hunting.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's flour or flake gold, many detectors won't detect it. Likewise a very fine gold chain will be hard to detect. (Try your vial in all metal).
You should use a 4-6 grain nugget, maybe larger. Like the others said, you won't find the really small gold with your detector.
Probably not even large pickers, but you need to find out what size you can realistically expect to find before you go out.
The best would be with iron discriminated, but all metal will detect smaller gold.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread