Help point me towards my new machine

Deadlift

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looking for a new machine. Budget is up to $700-800, wouldn't be opposed to a higher end used machine either. I live in Central VA and the soil is not too bad. I am about 50/50 between civil war hunting and coin hunting (really getting more into old silver). I currently am running a Spectrum XLT, own a Nautillus DMC-iiB, and have owned a White's Blue and Gray. I am currently torn between the White's MXT Pro (Ive used a friends several times, good machine and I like white's). Minelab X-terra 705, and less likely the fisher F70 Pro-F75 (used), garret At Pro

From what I gather these are all decent machines w/they're advocates. Based off a ton of research I'm leaning towards the Minelab. Here's the pertinent nuggets that Ive gathered that matters to ME on these machines. Any other insight is appreciated.

Minelab Xterra 705

Pro's- Light weight(2.9lbs w/out coil), can be notched, Not too complicated, coil options/flexibility, all accounts say they're deep, reportedly can do better on brass than white's/garrett especially with certain coils, Manual Ground balance (a key to better depth at times IMO) I know kellyco isn't liked by some, but the pinpointer included gets good reviews and I need one.

Con's-Not American made, Pricing for additional coils isn't cheap. Neither of these are deal breakers, but are really the only cons I can find.

White's Mxt Pro

Pro's Smooth enjoyable machine, very accurate target ID/discrimination on shallow to medium targets, durability, American company that I've been pleased with before,

Con's No notching, My experience with White's is they just don't hit the deep brass like other manufacturers. This has been echoed by several relic hunting friends who've switched from white's to minelabs and fishers

Fisher F70/F75's

Pro's Deep machines, light weight and comfortable, word is they do well on deeper silver

Con's EMI, I've talked to several friends who say that certain areas with overhead power lines and electric fences can be almost undetectable with their machines (this is steering me away from the fishers), general excessive chatter (I understand you're ears can be "smartened up" in time, and generally a machine running deeper and "hotter" is going to be more noisy) but this would seem to take away from the pleasure of detecting for me).

Garret AT PRO

Pros Water resistance, I can get a gently used model for $400 locally

Con's Of all the local relic hunters I talk to garret's just don't have a good name. I understand the AT Pro is a step in the right direction for them. Target ID beyond shallow items is very spotty, some reports of a "cheap" feel

This is based on some first hand experience, opinions of trusted friends, and general consensus on the interwebs. If anyone has any further insight, please share.

Thanks!

Upvote 0

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Minelab 705 (which I've never owned nor ever will) Con: Hit & miss customer service!

I currently own or have owned the others. (T2se not the F75)

I'm a huge advocate of the AT Pro. It's audio just flat works better than the others on your list. I run mine exclusively with the 5x8 coil and NEVER wonder about its depth capabilities. If the coil passes over it Im pretty confident in it!

The F70/75 are great machines too. The audio feedback is a bit lacking and when run in anything other than boost, ISN'T any deeper than the ATP. Heard how ergo they were and they are pretty comfortable but don't kid yourself into thinking it's like swinging a Tesoro. It's only marginally better than the ATP w/5x8 coil. Batteries seem to last forever! As for the EMI issues people have…it DOES have sens adjustment and disc adjustment as well as freq shifts. I've never experienced EMI I couldn't compensate for with my T2. F75 is going to cost you more than your budget (if new).

The MXT Pro, which I loved BTW, has a nickel window the size of dump truck. I stopped using it altogether once I put the 5x8 on my AT Pro and it WAS my goto machine.

Depending on the type of hunting you're doing, Coin hunting: AT Pro, Relics: F70/75, Relic & Coins: ATP or F70/75.

Wanna get wet? AT Pro! I don't have to run for cover when the clouds open up and I don't look like a hack with a soggy plastic bag wrapped around my control unit that I have to keep checking on!

Good luck however you decide to go!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Minelab ETRAC just sold here on our classifieds used for $800..

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got the t2 and find it to be a very good relic detector that will also find the heck out of sivler coins in trashy sites. If I were to buy again it would be f75 so I could buy a sunray probe. I have a 705 with 3 different coils and do not believe it is as deep. No experience with mxt but would like to try one out. I think you summed up the garrett pretty well. The ergonomics of the t2 are the best I've used. One thing about atp and 705 I do not like is head phone plug placement, the cord slapping my arm drives me crazy. Another is having pinpoint button on face of detector instead of a trigger like t2 or f75. I hunt plowed fields and they are often muddy and not having to touch screen is a big deal at least for me. Good lick with your choice.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A Minelab ETRAC just sold here on our classifieds used for $800..

WOW! $799 too much!:laughing7:

I've got the t2 and find it to be a very good relic detector that will also find the heck out of sivler coins in trashy sites. If I were to buy again it would be f75 so I could buy a sunray probe.

I'd go F75 if I had it to do over too. But for the notching feature when I wanna coin hunt!

Last edited:

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Having the F75 std and hunting with a friend who uses the the T2, I would say you can quiet the machines down. I have had the F75 a year or so and still no expert with it. But it finds the good stuff. You can quiet the machine down in most places. When it is too chatty makes me wonder what the other detectors are missing. The T2 is also a great machine and seems like a solid relic machine. The T2 seems a little more stable and quieter if thats a concern. With the threshold on the F75 you can actually change the tone sound to your ear. Not many does that. I also have a cache mode that is fun to hunt with, and yes it screams at ya when you get a target. In the city park I run the F75 very low sens(power) and disc. No matter the mode I kill it. Trashy areas require a small round coil which should be the coil you use if you have the patience. But the 11" inch coil will let you cover a lot of ground. You dont really loose much depth with the small coil. Wether you use the 6 tone on the T2 or the all metal on the F75 you will dig deep and find the vdi readout is right about half the time. Again that depends on the user and how good he knows his machine. I dont dig, mostly glean and probe new finds. But when I do dig, I dig 3" to 7" inches and go over a foot on some targets. My hunting buddy and I recently helped a home owner find a old water pipe in his yard. We traced out the lines in his mud brick home with or Garret Pro pointers. That was really cool. With the F75 and T2 you have options. But any machine in your price range is going to get you something good you can bet on that. I would buy new and from a sponsor for any warranty issues that come up later. But you can find a used machine fairly priced. Good Luck, let us know.

OP
OP
D

Deadlift

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info guys. You Fisher/T2 users are making me take a closer look in that direction.

On top of that; I'm seeing a few used Safari's and Etracs that are close to my budget. The BBS machines are supposed to give a better ID on deeper targets which I like.

I really like the white's machines, the old blue and gray pro would dig an honest 16" minnie ball in good ground. From what I gather once u go above the MXT PRO in the current line up the competion outperforms them. Im currently running the XLT and love how it gives you so much target info, adjustability, and excellent pinpointing. My only gripes are its not that deep, even on some of the hotter custom programs and its lagging recovery. I looked into the DFX, but reviews seem very mixed. Having hunted with a friends MXT Pro, I really dig the performance but it lacks a couple features that are important to me.

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
Deadlift,

I am also an XLT user and advocate.

I have both the 705 and the MXT Pro as well.

A few things that you might want to weigh are:

The 705 accessory coils are not waterproof, they are water resistant. Not sure if this is important to you.

The MXT seems more sensitive to me, but I am in the NorthWest, different soil. I can run the 705 WIDE OPEN. No chatter. Hey, maybe it's just smooth...

Big Boys Hobbies has the 705 WITH a Garrett pinpointer AND the Lesche digger. Better packages than K Co.

Any of these are decent machines, and a slow swinger matches up nicely with the fast swinging XLT.

I used to have a Fisher CZ-6a and a CZ-7a pro. Wish I never sold them.

Do you have a Bigfoot for the XLT? Helluva combo there for fast scanning a large area.

fella

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2012
Wisc
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Can't believe I didn't mention in earlier…If you don't need the unit to be waterproof, look into the CZ-3D! It's easily as deep or deeper than anything else on your list. Easy to use, very stable, best coin machine ever made IMO.

Give it a looksie!

OP
OP
D

Deadlift

Greenie
Jul 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very good info beerguy. The water resistant coils isnt a big deal to me either way. Can you expand on the sensitivity difference? Is it specifically pertaining to smaller items? Or depth on coins etc?

Saw the big boys package this afternoon. Looks like the better route! Thanks!

beerguy

Bronze Member
May 6, 2004
Camano Island, WA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030,
Many more on a rotating basis.
Park Ranger and Pack Mule pouches by Freeloader!
I just mention the sensitivity because I am used to a machine squawking a bit when you turn it all the way up.

I like to turn a machine up and back off until it is stable.

The 705 does not do this. Very stable at maximum. Too stable?

Not a bad thing, it just makes me feel like I am leaving something on the table, you know?

The 705 is a great machine, I want to get the DD coil for it. Nice that you can change freq's a bit with the different coils.

But the MXT is a nice machine too. Nice and fast GB circuit, solid audio response. I would say Audio response is better than the 705 if you are a Whites guy.

Hard choice, glad I have both.

If weight is an issue, look at an Anderson carbon fiber rod to save weight.

I have one on a home built unit, that this weighs nothing!

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a opportunity to take any of the machines you are interested in out for "testing/demo"? I find this the best way to find one that you like. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience on this forum and many of us have owned numerous machines over the years...however in the end it is "our" opinion and what we find attractive about a machine, you may not.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have an AT Pro and it is great!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread