Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was telling a coworker how I cleaned an 1886 Indian Head penny with lemon juice and gave it an olive oil soak and how well it worked (both methods I was completely unaware of before joining this forum).

He then showed me two very dirty 1990's era pennies. Then he proceeded to clean one of them using nothing but ordinary ketchup and a soft cloth. In a very short time and with a bit of elbow grease the penny looked almost new. The side by side comparison was remarkable and impressive.

I understand that the acid from the tomatoes acts as a solvent but my question is, is this a safe method of cleaning old copper coins and will it affect the value??

If anyone knows I would appreciate any input. If it is safe it's definitely an impressive way of making copper look like new. I would certainly use it on non coin/collectible copper items. The only downside I noticed was the ketchup smell left behind but I'm sure with a bit of water or even lemon juice that can easily be taken care of.

Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was telling a coworker how I cleaned an 1886 Indian Head penny with lemon juice and gave it an olive oil soak and how well it worked (both methods I was completely unaware of before joining this forum).

He then showed me two very dirty 1990's era pennies. Then he proceeded to clean one of them using nothing but ordinary ketchup and a soft cloth. In a very short time and with a bit of elbow grease the penny looked almost new. The side by side comparison was remarkable and impressive.

I understand that the acid from the tomatoes acts as a solvent but my question is, is this a safe method of cleaning old copper coins and will it affect the value??

If anyone knows I would appreciate any input. If it is safe it's definitely an impressive way of making copper look like new. I would certainly use it on non coin/collectible copper items. The only downside I noticed was the ketchup smell left behind but I'm sure with a bit of water or even lemon juice that can easily be taken care of.

Thanks in advance.

I collect coins as well, and I've never heard that method before. Probably even better with fries on the side LOL. One downside I could see if you rubbed it instead of just letting it soak in ketchup, is that you could potentially damage the coin further. That probably applies to many things you could put on the coin, though, not just ketchup.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The lemon juice is the acid you prefered to use. I have an 1887 O Morgan dollar that was not recognizable at all when found.....I used vinager... which is in ketchup. So, all three are acidic and all three do damage to the coin by removing the outer layer of metal. That doesn't mean I wouldn't do it again but the fact is the coin is trashed if I needed to.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I want to find out because it cleans copper in an absolutely amazing way. I was downright astonished. I thought the lemon juice was good (which it IS, especially where corrosion is concerned), but this ketchup is amazing. Maybe I'm onto something new and if it's safe, it'll be the next big thing!! Then again, maybe I'm not.

I'm thinkin' I'll try it on a regular penny later and inspect it under a loupe afterward before daring to try it on something old.

BTW, thanks for the response.

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My dad showed me that trick 40 years ago.

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does work, but also removes any patina on the coin, so unless you like the new copper look, you want to go with a gentler method of cleaning.

johnpera

Greenie
Jul 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fruit acid in the ketchup is sufficient to remove the grime from a coin. Although it will bring the coin up nice and shiny, it will also remove any value the coin might have.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all for the input. I'll reserve the ketchup method only for select cleaning jobs.

It is a good trick to know though because it REALLY works well.

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The guy who showed me learned it from his dad as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread