NEL 15" Attack Coil for Garrett AT PRO

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,
I just oredered one from Coloniel Metal Detectors today and it will ship tomorrow. I should have it by next weekend. I tried to watch as many videos I could about this pairing but there is not much out there. I will post an honest/candid report of its performance after I take it out that weekend. I started detecting in the 70's with 2 Bounty Hunters. Today I have a Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro & Garret Pro Pointer...
I wil let you know the outcome of this match up.

Thanks Gary in Oregon...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I picked up the box when it came in I thought wow its light. When I took it out of the box I thought wow it is light :) when I put it on my AT PRO it makes it unbalanced (front end heavy) Not too bad but it is noticable. I am going to try to take it out tonight for a bit for its maiden voyage before the upcoming weekend hunt. It was 99 degrees here yesterday so I chicken out... But maybe tonight. I will keep you posted...
Gary from Oregon

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I picked up the box when it came in I thought wow its light. When I took it out of the box I thought wow it is light :) when I put it on my AT PRO it makes it unbalanced (front end heavy) Not too bad but it is noticable. I am going to try to take it out tonight for a bit for its maiden voyage before the upcoming weekend hunt. It was 99 degrees here yesterday so I chicken out... But maybe tonight. I will keep you posted...
Gary from Oregon

I have an Ace 250 and a AT Gold the ace 250 was much heaver. Maybe if you shorten the shaft a notch or two would balance it again

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I forgot to add I found at least with mine the pinpoint method works best with the left right pull back and push slightly forward to work the best with mine the other techniques didn't seem as accurate . Let us know what you think

I made a big ass shovel out of a all plastic grain shovel it moves sand fast and you can scan it to see if you recovered the target in the shovel. It makes for fast digging and recovery. I need to drill more holes in it works real fast in real dry sand but I need more holes for the wet sand and it is not a thing to use in the surf to big for the waves, kick my butt.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm working with Ohio clay haha so I have to get as close as possible.

I am doing beaches but i use a post hole shovel for the clay

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I couldn’t wait even though it is 90+ degrees outside today. I took the NEL 15” Attack coil on my AT PRO and took it to a school that I did back in the late 70's that we took over 100 silver dimes off of it back then, mostly mercs. I also have used my Garrett Ace 350 and my AT PRO at this same school. My friend and I are going to go there Saturday morning and give it a really good first test. Tonight I only tested it for 15 minutes on a side field and found 2 dimes and a quarter all clad but all approx 5” deep. The dimes were low volume and hi ping repeatable sound. My goal is to go over the main field where all of the silver was found with my new coil and see how it does? I have not been able to find silver on this field with my other 2 detectors (cleaned out back in the day). I have a very good feeling after the short test tonight! It performs as advertized. It is so much more stable and quieter than the stock coils. I have both the 8.5 x 11" & the 5 x 8" PROformance DD search coils* for my AT PRO. Don’t get me wrong I love this detector I am just looking for that edge to get more depth out of a coil. I think I found it. It was quiet enough that I could run it at full sensitivity. The field is a low trash area which is perfect for this type of large coil. I do not think it will be good to use in a hi trash area (time will tell). This coil is so big you can cover a lot of ground very fast. I am very impressed so far. More to come :)
Gary from Oregon

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a swingy thingy to use when the attack is being used. Hook it up at the balance point of the shaft and you will be able to swing all day without
any wrist or arm strain. I am using strong double faced tape just above the attachment point to prevent the rubber bungy cord from creeping up the shaft and putting strain on the coil wire.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn’t wait even though it is 90+ degrees outside today. I took the NEL 15” Attack coil on my AT PRO and took it to a school that I did back in the late 70's that we took over 100 silver dimes off of it back then, mostly mercs. I also have used my Garrett Ace 350 and my AT PRO at this same school. My friend and I are going to go there Saturday morning and give it a really good first test. Tonight I only tested it for 15 minutes on a side field and found 2 dimes and a quarter all clad but all approx 5” deep. The dimes were low volume and hi ping repeatable sound. My goal is to go over the main field where all of the silver was found with my new coil and see how it does? I have not been able to find silver on this field with my other 2 detectors (cleaned out back in the day). I have a very good feeling after the short test tonight! It performs as advertized. It is so much more stable and quieter than the stock coils. I have both the 8.5 x 11" & the 5 x 8" PROformance DD search coils* for my AT PRO. Don’t get me wrong I love this detector I am just looking for that edge to get more depth out of a coil. I think I found it. It was quiet enough that I could run it at full sensitivity. The field is a low trash area which is perfect for this type of large coil. I do not think it will be good to use in a hi trash area (time will tell). This coil is so big you can cover a lot of ground very fast. I am very impressed so far. More to come :)
Gary from Oregon
Gary, did you ground balance the new coil and did you do the entire process at 50% sensitivity as the documentation with the coil says to prevent loss of depth?

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes I did.... I am excited about this pairing and cant wait until Saturday :-)

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary, did you ground balance the new coil and did you do the entire process at 50% sensitivity as the documentation with the coil says to prevent loss of depth?

Just got mine set it up took it outside dang thing weights a lot but sure covers lots of space seems to pinpoint like the smaller coils

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL 15” Attack coil on my Garrett AT PRO... 7-18-2014
I took it out today for its second short outing to a house that I have went over with my ACE 350 & my AT PRO. I even went over this yard in both directions trying to clean it out. I found a lot of stuff on this yard including (1) merc. The house looks to have been built in the 1950's and the yard is small approx 25' x 30'. I figured I was done with it and wasn’t going to go back. Then I thought what a great place to try the new NEL coil combo. I found all of this tonight in approx 1.5 hours. I found a rusty knife, small cheap piece of jewelry, 14 coins including (2) wheats... 1938D & 1944S. I also dug a lot of junk. I need to get used to this coil. The coil is very quiet and all of this was found 4-8” deep. The coil separated the good targets very well. Tomorrow morning is a 4 hour test hunt with this new combo. I will give you an update when I get back.

Gary from Oregon md1.jpg md2.jpg md3.jpg

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update 7-19-2014
I could not go out to the field I wanted to this morning the sprinkler system was running and the grass was like 7" tall. I will go back to this later. I picked a very trashy house built approx 1900 and it was not good. This large coil is for large low trash areas or a place that has already been gone over. I went to a house that was built in the 1940's that I had went over 2 times in both directions. I thought I had cleaned it out with my AT PRO with the standard coil. I found this today and found 3 wheat's that were missed somehow in the 2 times I was there before? I make a point to try to not miss anything! This NEL large coil goes deeper and it also finds coins that are iffy signals on the standard coil. Each of these hits were not iffy but solid hits each time. I am very happy with this coil for what it is intended for. I wish I was a beach hunter, this thing would be awesome. md4.jpg md5.jpg md6.jpg md7.png

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a swingy thingy to use when the attack is being used. Hook it up at the balance point of the shaft and you will be able to swing all day without
any wrist or arm strain. I am using strong double faced tape just above the attachment point to prevent the rubber bungy cord from creeping up the shaft and putting strain on the coil wire.

Went to the army navy surplus got some old belts and some elastic from walmart and a dog collar with a quick connect and sewed me a sling together now I have to push down slightly and seems to be an improvement. Doing an all dayer Monday and half the night will see if it helps

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update 7-19-2014
I could not go out to the field I wanted to this morning the sprinkler system was running and the grass was like 7" tall. I will go back to this later. I picked a very trashy house built approx 1900 and it was not good. This large coil is for large low trash areas or a place that has already been gone over. I went to a house that was built in the 1940's that I had went over 2 times in both directions. I thought I had cleaned it out with my AT PRO with the standard coil. I found this today and found 3 wheat's that were missed somehow in the 2 times I was there before? I make a point to try to not miss anything! This NEL large coil goes deeper and it also finds coins that are iffy signals on the standard coil. Each of these hits were not iffy but solid hits each time. I am very happy with this coil for what it is intended for. I wish I was a beach hunter, this thing would be awesome. View attachment 1025105 View attachment 1025106 View attachment 1025107
View attachment 1025108

heading to the beaches in the morning for sun rise and sunset see how this new coil works on the beach

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL ATTACK 15” COIL on AT PRO test ***

This is from Sunday mornings 3rd test run with this combo. As you can see by the pictures I found 39 coins (none good) at this 1912 house, in the front yard, that has been condemned by fire. (14) coins I found on one side of the front yard that I had went over 2X already with the 5x8 coil. The conclusion is that the original Garrett coils give you tons of info on the target below and tell you what you may not want to dig. The NEL coil tells you what you should dig. You will dig more bottle caps, but you will dig more coins! I found the dragonfly pin on the side I already went over 2X with the 5x8 coil? All of the signals I dug with the NEL coil were solid double pings. I do not know how I missed them with the factory coil? If this NEL coil was a piece of garbage I would also post that, but so far has been awesome. I found (5) wheats on the 2nd outing on lawns I already had went over 2x with the standard coils. I also found a nice “Black Hills” silver ring too! More feedback on the 15” ATTACK coil to follow.

Gary from Oregon md11.jpg md22.jpg md33.jpg md44.jpg md55.jpg md66.jpg md77.jpg md88.jpg md99.jpg

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I did well today with the NEL coil but it tore my arm up with it raining non stop and the wet sand accumulating on the coil the weight was just to much even with the sling so at about 2pm I put the 5 X 8 back on and went to 11:45 pm. I will be constructing a new sling shoulder harness to tame this massive coil. It does find more things deeper and covers much more area but at the moment I cannot swing it all day without pain. Back to the army navy surplus in the morning thinking about making a hip pivot to take all the weight. The sling worked pretty well but after about 5 hours it was too much. I continued with the 5 X 8 for 9 more hours and worked out the pain not sure how tomorrow will be......

ffx2

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 350
NEL ATTACK 15” COIL on AT PRO test ***

This is from Sunday mornings 3rd test run with this combo. As you can see by the pictures I found 39 coins (none good) at this 1912 house, in the front yard, that has been condemned by fire. (14) coins I found on one side of the front yard that I had went over 2X already with the 5x8 coil. The conclusion is that the original Garrett coils give you tons of info on the target below and tell you what you may not want to dig. The NEL coil tells you what you should dig. You will dig more bottle caps, but you will dig more coins! I found the dragonfly pin on the side I already went over 2X with the 5x8 coil? All of the signals I dug with the NEL coil were solid double pings. I do not know how I missed them with the factory coil? If this NEL coil was a piece of garbage I would also post that, but so far has been awesome. I found (5) wheats on the 2nd outing on lawns I already had went over 2x with the standard coils. I also found a nice “Black Hills” silver ring too! More feedback on the 15” ATTACK coil to follow.

Gary from Oregon View attachment 1026583 View attachment 1026584 View attachment 1026585 View attachment 1026586 View attachment 1026587 View attachment 1026588 View attachment 1026589 View attachment 1026590 View attachment 1026591

Way to go , you just cost me $230!!

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its worth every penny!!! Really :) I ordered last night the NEL 5.5 x 9" Sharpshooter coil to replace my factory 5 x 8" coil. I will give feedback after I use it a bit...

Gary from Oregon

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Move your attachment point down the shaft a little. You will find a point where it requires neither down or lifting. When I let go of my detector it will hang parallel to the ground. It does not require any stress on the wrist and arm.

I also put some mountain clips on the strap so I can unhook when recovering a target. That allows me to not have to bend my back during recovery.

The swingy thingy sells for about 30.

Properly attached I can have gone on 6 hour hunts with the attack coil without any more discomfort than the 5 x 8.......

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread