NEL 15" Attack Coil for Garrett AT PRO

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,
I just oredered one from Coloniel Metal Detectors today and it will ship tomorrow. I should have it by next weekend. I tried to watch as many videos I could about this pairing but there is not much out there. I will post an honest/candid report of its performance after I take it out that weekend. I started detecting in the 70's with 2 Bounty Hunters. Today I have a Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro & Garret Pro Pointer...
I wil let you know the outcome of this match up.

Thanks Gary in Oregon...

Upvote 0

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Move your attachment point down the shaft a little. You will find a point where it requires neither down or lifting. When I let go of my detector it will hang parallel to the ground. It does not require any stress on the wrist and arm.

I also put some mountain clips on the strap so I can unhook when recovering a target. That allows me to not have to bend my back during recovery.

The swingy thingy sells for about 30.

Properly attached I can have gone on 6 hour hunts with the attack coil without any more discomfort than the 5 x 8.......

I watched a couple you tube videos and I had a serious design flaw. So I changed it up a little and now it stays on and can be easily unconnected with the quick connect. Now there is no weight on my arm going to head out to the beaches again Monday see what is waiting to be found!

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got it to work great with the new strap design and even added a headlight for night detecting on the beach.
The big coil is much more work and I am still coming out about even on finds with the 5X8 double d and the 15 inch NEL coil.

But not even getting any flirts with the big 15 inch like I do with the little one.....:laughing7:

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Update on the AT PRO with 15" NEL ATTACK coil. It keeps amazing me! I took it to the most metal infested turn of the century house in our town. I took 2 of my friends there in the past and all of us with AT PRO's. I have been there 3 times with both factory coils. The 8.5 x 11" and the 5 x 8". There are nails and metal everywhere. You can see pieces of metal even on top of the ground. We nick named this the crazy house. This house was built in approx 1900 +/- a few years. I took the 15" Attack coil there to see how it would perform in this crazy environment. I thought it would be too noisy with the large coil. It was noisy but this coil picked out items in among all of this metal trash. Remember, I had covered all of this ground in the past with the factory coils. I found the license plate and everything below it in the attached picture with the Attack coil this morning. The other items came from parking strips in my town. I found 5+ wheat's today :) I haven't cleaned the coins up yet. I bought the NEL 5.5 x9" sharpshooter coil too but have only been out with it a couple of time. I will report out on it when I have used it more...

Gary from Oregon 21.jpg

firemac

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Irving Texas and the beach
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Garrett pro pointer Minelab Etrac & excal ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a good set up! Last spring I put a 15" coil trek on my Etrac and it's fantastic. Guess I need a 15" nel attack for the atpro now!

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1227.JPG
well rained like crazy last week too but as soon as I took the big 15 off I found a white opal with a diamond!

Last edited:

tcornel

Aug 11, 2011
NE Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I redid the shaft setup to straight and it made a huge difference in the weight distribution. It took a little to get used to it but
it is much better. The post is below. I would recommend gluing on a couple extra inches to the sweep so you can move the
control box further away to enable easier use of the thumb for controls. I am also getting the stand as the Garrett stand
will not keep this setup straight and it will fall over.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/metal-detecting/427746-pro-straight-shaft-setup.html

ffx2

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 350
So I've now had my attack coil for a couple months and I'm not going to go into a long drawn out review but. ....... i have the stock coil + NEL coil + the 5 x 8 coil and all I can say is that I don't know that I've found anything with the NEL coil that my 5 x 8 would not have found. I could definitely live without the NEL

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread