NEL 15" Attack Coil for Garrett AT PRO

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey,
I just oredered one from Coloniel Metal Detectors today and it will ship tomorrow. I should have it by next weekend. I tried to watch as many videos I could about this pairing but there is not much out there. I will post an honest/candid report of its performance after I take it out that weekend. I started detecting in the 70's with 2 Bounty Hunters. Today I have a Garrett Ace 350, Garrett AT Pro & Garret Pro Pointer...
I wil let you know the outcome of this match up.

Thanks Gary in Oregon...

Upvote 0

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Did you get the attack or the big.
The attack is the 13x14
The big is the 15"
Just curious from your heading.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The attack is 15 by 15. The big is 15 by 17. I bought the attack.

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How do you like your storm? Does it go deeper? Is it more stable? What is your overall view of it?

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Here's a review I posted a while back. I never took the coil off when I was detecting at the beach do to being able to cover A Ton of ground. I usually leave that coil on my machine and search until I find myself in a trashy area then I'll switch to the 5x8. I'll post my air tests from before also

Here you go

Ordering and warranty: I ordered mine from golddiggermetaldetectors.com and from purchase to retrieving it was about 4 business days. They offer a 14 day money back guarantee. If you decide to return it after then it's a 20% restocking fee.

Quality: the coil wasn't as hard of a substance as stock coils. The stock coil seems to feel like a hard acrylic plastic and the nel feels a little less solid. I view this as a trade off from using lighter weight material. The coil is no where near as heavy as I thought I would be with the size. It does seem well built. It comes with a coil cover and a heavy duty plastic bolt that you can tighten down enough to keep from the coil moving when setting it down.

Performance: the coil seemed more prone to EMI then the smaller coils but I don't know how much that is contributed to being such a large coil. I do have a amped wireless high powered router but I haven't had any problems with my other smaller coils. With that being said around my house I was only able to turn the sensitivity up to 6 out of 8 but air tests at that setting showed almost all coins were reading correctly at 9-12 inches. Away from my house I was able to turn the sensitivity all the way up. These results are on my 250 so I would guess the pro would be slightly more being a deeper machine from the start.

The detector field is about 1.5" x 12" so the separation is fairly good I would say better then the 9 x 12. Pin point was actually pretty easy to learn and accurate.

Overall I would say if you want extra depth in open fields I would say you will like your purchase.

Last edited:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Here's some other info I did earlier

-I have 2 wifi routers, an inground dog fence, and power lines across my front yard so take this as you want. The stock coil I was able to run full sensitivity in my house without any problem. With the NEL I can only turn it up to 5 or 6 out of 8 on the sensitivity before goes crazy. From the what I have read this has occurred to people with the garrett dd on the 350. I attribute it to being such a large coil. Once I get about 50 ft away from my house I can turn the sensitivity all the way up.

-the coil is heavier then the stock but it's no where near what people make it out to be. It is a lot lighter then you would think.

-the quality it nice. They had some problems with the cable location on their older coils but they have fixed the problem on the coils they sell now.

-this coil really really hits hard on the metal. If there is a coin in the ground is no joke at letting you know. With being such a large coil and so strong it will pick up everything in the ground so you really have to discriminate. I used to run all metal mode but between the area you cover and it's sensitivity I don't with this coil.

- pinpointing isn't bad takes a little bit more time but for coins I dig about a 4 inch plug and get it.

-in my opinion unless you are hunting big open areas without anything around and clean ground I wouldnt get the larger big. You will pick up too much stuff per swing and it will be counter productive. I got this coil for depth and I have no worries about leaving anything in the ground for the reason of being to deep. I think the storm or tornado are good choices.

Here's my air tests the reason I tested the nel at 7 sensitivity instead of 8 was because of the reasons I said above but here are the results

Stock coil. ___ Storm.
Max Sen. ____ One notch from max.

Clad penny.
8" ___ 9.5"

Copper penny.
8" ___ 10.5"

Nickel.
7" ___ 11"

Dime.
6.5" ___ 10"

Quarter.
9.5" ___ 11.5"

Also found my first silver first time out at 9 inches. 1942 mercury dime in my back yard.
Let me know what you think and any other questions

Last edited:
OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Attack should be here Monday

Here's a review I posted a while back. I never took the coil off when I was detecting at the beach do to being able to cover A Ton of ground. I usually leave that coil on my machine and search until I find myself in a trashy area then I'll switch to the 5x8. I'll post my air tests from before also

Thanks for your review... I will give mine as soon as I use it a bit...

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Yeah I have high hopes for you being a deeper machine with frequency adjustment and ground balance that the Ace doesn't.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, pro pointer, AT Gold, Vulcan pointer
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wonder how it will do on the AT Gold last week I had a slight signal so I open the sand and the signal got stronger and I found a gold earring over 12 inches with the standard 5 x 8 double d coil on the AT Gold. Also found a beer can at about 3 foot deep my arm was not long enough to get it out of the hole!

Last edited:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Tell you what depth and everything aside it was amazing the area I covered with it on the beach so if you beach hunt it would be worth looking into for that.

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell you what depth and everything aside it was amazing the area I covered with it on the beach so if you beach hunt it would be worth looking into for that.

Yeah I would think you could move much faster on the beach the little coil misses things and sometimes I over lap swings and find things on my return trip that I should have found on the first trip. I always drag my digger so I know where I have been and many times under the digger tracks I find things I have all ready covered

Last edited:

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well after detecting for about 12 hours yesterday on the beach and testing some ideas I found I could walk the same path more than once and on the 2dn time I uncovered more targets.
So I ordered the NEC 15 inch Attack coil. Going to be here Friday ready for my Monday beach hunt! :occasion14:

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
I have read people say that large coils lose small targets like earrings but last time I had it on the beach I had a solid signal and it turned out to be a small washer just slightly larger than an earring back in diameter so I don't know. Let me know how you like your coil when you get it

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have read people say that large coils lose small targets like earrings but last time I had it on the beach I had a solid signal and it turned out to be a small washer just slightly larger than an earring back in diameter so I don't know. Let me know how you like your coil when you get it

Ok will see next Monday those things that fall through the scoop I found a rivet yesterday and a knock out for one of those telescoping sun shelters little things just make me look harder also found a dime that had been rolled around in the surf so much is was much smaller and fell through the scoop

OP
OP
masterjedi

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
monster coil 2.jpg monster coil.jpg Mine came last night... feedback good or bad to follow...

Gary from Oregon

fireguy

Dec 28, 2013
Dayton ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250
Oh I forgot to add I found at least with mine the pinpoint method works best with the left right pull back and push slightly forward to work the best with mine the other techniques didn't seem as accurate . Let us know what you think

Last edited:

sailoffwithme

May 19, 2014
Detector(s) used
NEL 15 inch coil amazing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much more weight is it much of a difference?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread