Pin pointer advice

mouseman60

Jul 9, 2014
Detector(s) used
Mxt pro
Pin pointers are like metal detectors which one is the best it's your call. Pin pointers have difference and again it's in the eye of the choice you make . I have a Garrett pin pointer and I have no problems, I also have a whites metal detector and I like both. I drop mind in the water and water got in the speaker making it not to work and garrett fix it for free. It also depends on how much you want to spent. If you can go to a store and look at them and try them out that would be great again it's up to you because people like different things about pin pointers and the way they work ,and people change pin pointers all the time. Bottom line there is no best it's what you like about that pin pointer

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to get as many opinions as there are detectors! If you have a local detector shop, head over there and try a few. I've tried just about all of them except the Xprobe. I only used a TRX one time (borrowed from a friend) just to see what it was like and it worked great. Here's my $.02 worth from best to worst (there may be a few that I've forgotten so let me know if I missed one)......
1. DetectorPro Uniprobe. Pros: goes deepest, sound through the headphones, tethered to the headphones, small diameter waterproof probe.
Cons: no vibrate option (but unneeded in my opinion) Headphones aren't the most comfortable I've used but ok.
2. Sunray pin pointer Pros: sound through headphones along with full discrimination (just like the main detector coil) Deeper than most. Attached
to the detector.
Cons: only works with that one model detector. Adds weight to the lower shaft which can also throw the balance off.
3. White's TRX Pros: Seems well built. Decent depth.
Con: Newer model with only a short time in the field so long term durability unknown.
4. Minelab Pro Find Pretty much the same pros and cons as the White's but slightly less depth.
5. Garrett Pro Pointer Pros: Decent depth also
Cons: Early models had a high failure rate but Garrett was good on the warranty. The problems SEEM to have been
corrected but that is still up for debate.
6. VibraProbe 580 Pros: The only true waterproof on in the bunch. Comes with a good holster. Well built. Decent depth.
Cons: Not as ergonomically shaped. You have to invert the unit to turn it on and off. It will turn itself off after a minute or so
of non-use (kind of annoying at times having to constantly turn it on)
7. Vulcan 360 In the same vein as the Minelab and Garrett but I don't think it's as good overall. Not a great difference but enough to
choose one of the others.
8. TinyTec Not made anymore but I had to get one of my old favorites in there! It's been real durable and has good depth but it's kinda
clunky and old school looking. Nice point for sticking into soft ground!
9. Pistol Probe You can do a lot better for the money. Also a rather awkward unit that doesn't carry well.

10. Fisher F-point and Bounty hunter Very similar and better than the Harbor Freight model but not by a whole lot. Save up a bit more and get a
better one.
11. Harbor Freight Pro: It's cheap in price
Con: It's cheap in every other way....in fact, it a piece of junk. Better than nothing but not much.

These are just my opinions based on my experience and not gospel. Your mileage may vary! Also sound and vibration can vary from brand to brand and unit to unit in some cases. Some people like loud, some soft, some want a mild buzz, some want to have an orgasm, so I didn't take those differences into consideration. Try a few and judge for yourself. :laughing7:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SGT. Flarng, I am assuming that title was associated with the military and thank you for your service. You also display that relic hunting is your area of interest. With that in mind then most of the deeper seeking pin pointers should work well for you. Just keep in mind that if possible do some hands on testing prior to putting down the cash. Should you by chance decide on a Gpp then I would only recommend that it be a local purchase so you do not get caught up in that insurance and shipping if it should fail. Local purchase should allow in store exchange for failing items. Being from north west Fla. you do have major product distributors in your area. Good luck on your choice.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Close this post and do a search.. read all the posts about the Garrett quality issues and failures along with all the TRX converts that sold or tossed the Garrett.. There are about 12 threads just like this one.. Just in this forum alone!

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Garrett.... Love mine...

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have two Garrett Propointers, the 2nd was bought 3 years after the first.
Functionally it's a good pinpointer but both have been in for repair (that is 100% failure rate).
Cost $10 each to send them in plus the repair cost of one being out of warranty.
I would get the TRX if I bought a new pinpointer.

OP
OP
F

flarng

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2014
Northwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. Bowwinkles, I did spend six years in the Army, but Sergeant is my rank in my current job as a negotiator for the state. I was in aware we had a distributor over this way. Do you know where they are?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Hay, they all do the same thing which is the very simple task of locating a hard to define object in the dirt at close range. That being usually about an inch. You don't want it to sensitive or it will go off everywhere in the hole. If you look inside a few you would note that they are very similar. The big difference is the case design, but a neat tight case causes thermal and other problems that result in false signals and other problems. Another factor is cost. They range in cost from $16 for the Harbor Freight to over $200. It seems to be a product where a lot of money is wasted on a brand name. Just my thoughts, Frank...-
111-1 profilecracked.jpg

Last edited:

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the advice. Bowwinkles, I did spend six years in the Army, but Sergeant is my rank in my current job as a negotiator for the state. I was in aware we had a distributor over this way. Do you know where they are?

Ask your fellow Fla diggers for sure. I know the Whites is in Freeport and Kellyco (dealer) is in that same area I think. One of the recent Pin pointer threads made mention about dealers in that area also.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This topic has been beat to death. If I were in your shoes I would search this and other forums and one seems to fail way to much for me. Some have good luck with the garrett but I like many have been through two and neither lasted as long as my whites already has. I also find it funny the garrett guys will tell you most problems are because you need to put a spacer in battery compartment. I would not buy a brand new pinpointer that you have to shim the battery to make it work
.​

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I don't know how to post a link here but on you tube I just saw a review for an "X-Pointer". The posters name was "Detector Comparasons" You might want to look at it before making a decision. Its a P.I. and under $100. Also claims that you cant make it false.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all TRY to do the same thing but some work much better than others. There are different technologies involved too....P.I,( like the UniProbe) VLF (like the Sunray) ,etc) Some are adjustable for different conditions (like the UniProbe and Vulcan 360) and others are automatic or not adjustable (like the VibraProbe). Some will detect just at the tip (like the VibraProbe) and some will detect all along the shaft (like the Garrett). Ergonomics can be important too. I can't stand a pin pointer that won't stay in the holster or pouch or is awkward to use. To me, the price is less important if it will get the job done quicker and easier so I can move on the next target. Quality is very important too as having one constantly in the shop is not helping me either.

OP
OP
F

flarng

Tenderfoot
Jun 16, 2014
Northwest Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Looks like I struck a nerve. I'm grateful for all the advice. I think I'm leaning towards the White's, but I have more research to do. My detector is a Garrett, but I'm not a brand w***e. I want the best I can get for the money. That being said, I don't think I'll be going with a Uniprobe or a sunray. A second headset just seems like too much to me.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IVE HAD MY GARRETT PRO POINT FOR LIKE 5 YRS - NEVER A PROBLEM
IT HAS SAVE MANY A RELIC AND COIN FROM DAMAGE AND SAVE MUCH TIME IN FINDING TINY ITEMS

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Actually, I use to go for perfection, but now I go for good enough. I can take a $16 HF pinpointer and find 1 piece of #6 shot in a 3"dia. hole as fast as any other pinpointer can, so why pay the difference. Bragging rites maybe. lol Frank...
hand print-2_edited-7.jpg

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats funny... your right in a 3" hole... but no way in the real world of plug digging... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread