What do you use when the dirt is REALLY hard to dig?

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
With how dry and hot it's been here lately the ground is getting ridiculous. I hunted for about 8 hours yesterday and for a little bit today and the ground is so hard that my right hand is killing me. I've always used a blunt-nosed hand spade from Lowes...and anytime I find something new to use it's always because the handle has broken off or the blade gets bent. So far I've had this one the longest of anything and it's holding up well, but I'm wondering if there is something better for tough ground.

Upvote 0

rainyday101

Dec 1, 2012
Peshtigo, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Silver uMax, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone that lives in texas knows a screwdriver or shovel isnt an option sometimes...ive been hunting a road tear out thst has been compacted the last 100 years..and its seriously like digging in a concrete parking lot...a small pickaxe is key..just stay away from the pinpointed target

Lab Rat Pappy

Greenie
Apr 6, 2013
Pa
Detector(s) used
DFX, Goldmaster V-SAT,Coinmaster,BH Fast Tracker
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a heavy duty pry bar (12") from Harbor Freight. I grind the edges to round them and it works great in hard packed dirt as well as parking areas that have been covered in small stones. The set is quite cheap and I have had no problem with using it. I also carry it on my belt using a holster for a pair of pliers. (HF #1654/69281) GL HH Lab Rat Pappy

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

I'm a fan of my Predator Tools Piranha.... someday we can get together for a hunt so you can try it out and form your own opinion of it. :)

hunterbill

Sep 26, 2012
AK,S.OR,N.Cal
Detector(s) used
MD-20,GMT,Gold Bug pro, Sluice, Dredge, Eyes, ATX, pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I use a cordless hammer drill for the hard stuff. Though, that more of a nugget hunting tool.

Ronson

Jul 17, 2014
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone that lives in texas knows a screwdriver or shovel isnt an option sometimes...ive been hunting a road tear out thst has been compacted the last 100 years..and its seriously like digging in a concrete parking lot...a small pickaxe is key..just stay away from the pinpointed target

Holy crow, this is so true. I needed a mini-jackhammer out at White Rock Lake, a few weeks back.

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Xp deus ,minelab safari, whites mx5, fisher f70 ,Garrett at pro, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408193787.967645.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408193801.648043.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1408193812.152988.jpg
Any of these should do fine but u should check your local laws regarding digging before using lol

penzfan

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2014
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 - Excal 1000 - Excal II - Sovereign GT - RTG/Oleg Scoops - XPointer
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling 811 before each job.

Msdigger22

Jan 4, 2014
hazelhurst Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Xp deus ,minelab safari, whites mx5, fisher f70 ,Garrett at pro, ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whether you are planning to do it yourself or hire a professional, smart digging means calling 811 before each job.

Lol defiantly call 811 before using any of the above items

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
31" Sampson T-handle just ordered one from Bart. With drought and 100 degree heat this Okla soil gets wicked hard!

Fixitdave

May 11, 2012
Straight claw hammer.I use it for.hard packed gravel driveways and parking lots.its the best thing I've found for hard rocky ground.Good luck happy hunting

Capt Ed

May 14, 2014
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like the Lesche shovel I got from Kellyco! Here in Austin, the dirt is really dry and hard packed. This shovel makes a real difference!

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex, Land Ranger Pro, Quick Draw Pro, Deteknix XPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think Lesche makes the best digging tools. The new Ranger 65 seems eligible for hard soil.

theran3.jpg theran2.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I think Lesche makes the best digging tools. The new Ranger 65 seems eligible for hard soil.

View attachment 1047631 View attachment 1047632
It appears the handle slides over a smaller pipe that is welded to the blade. This could be a weak point.

Tool shovel-700.jpg
I use the all steel A M Leonard shovel that has a hefty weld holding the handle to the blade. It has a lifetime guarantee. By the way, I have been using this one for App. 13 years and it still looks like new. Cache hunting takes it's toll on most shovels. Frank...- five star.png

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe. But I've never heard of a Lesche breaking during proper use. Plus, I'd take it's V shaped blade to penetrate the hard dirt he's mentioning over a flat tip.

Piranha2.jpg And as far as steel, the ad says:

[FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Arial, Helvetica]The Blade is Chrome-Molly 4130 Aircraft quality steel that has been heat
treated and tempered, (one at a time) to give our customers nothing less
than the best and strongest digging tools ever made.
[/FONT][/FONT]

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Maybe. But I've never heard of a Lesche breaking during proper use. Plus, I'd take it's V shaped blade to penetrate the hard dirt he's mentioning over a flat tip.

View attachment 1048684 And as far as steel, the ad says:

The Blade is Chrome-Molly 4130 Aircraft quality steel that has been heat
treated and tempered, (one at a time) to give our customers nothing less
than the best and strongest digging tools ever made.
Check back with me in another 14 years. I think mine will still be working. lol Frank...- five star.png
I have used it as a prybar and chopped locks open on chests with it.
Tool shovel-700.jpg

Last edited:

Phantasman

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2006
NE Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bought my Lesche 85 and Lesche Samson shovel in 2006, so I don't have far to go. The Raptor is 5 years old.

My Klein 9NE's are 30 years old and any electrician will verify that they are top of the line. I've used them as a hammer, screw cutter, teeth puller and everything imaginable. :laughing7:
j20009ne.gif

BTW- I'm getting ready to go to an East coast beach, but haven't decided which one yet. Are you close to Ocean City, or have hunt there?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I bought my Lesche 85 and Lesche Samson shovel in 2006, so I don't have far to go. The Raptor is 5 years old.

My Klein 9NE's are 30 years old and any electrician will verify that they are top of the line. I've used them as a hammer, screw cutter, teeth puller and everything imaginable. :laughing7:
View attachment 1049242

BTW- I'm getting ready to go to an East coast beach, but haven't decided which one yet. Are you close to Ocean City, or have hunt there?

Yea, being a union electrician IBEW local 28 in the past, I am well aware of Klein quality.
As for Ocean City Maryland, there are over 100 blocks of beach. The heavy use 'center' is 9th St.
The beach continues for miles into Delaware. I have found everything from a boat anchor
( still attached to a boat) to a rolex on those beaches. Frank...- five star.png

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the Lesche Sampson 32" and its a fine shovel, but for lawns I'd like to get the Ground Shark and maybe cut the handle down to 18". It would definitely cut a tighter, smaller plug imho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions