NEW TO THE FUN

L

livetodig

Hello everyone, my name is David and I hail from Augusta, Ga.. Mding is something that has always intrested me and I'm finally out there. I've spent at least 10 hrs a week for the last six weeks honing my new hobby.I feel like I'm doing ok thus far average 1.00 per hr. plus an occasional trinket. Is this normal for a rookie I have had no help or advice . I don't understand why I'm not finding older coins. My detector or me ? And what are some good locations . Any advice will be very helpful. Thanks :'(

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome David, Most likely it's Location. It may also be the speed your detecting, Or your Setting on Disc. Can you give more Details ( DETECTOR, Settings, type of spots your detecting & Trash to Good targets Ratio) etc. ? ; jeff

KevGA

Jul 12, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Garrett ACE 250
Mua-ha-ha-ha-ha! Another unsuspecting innocent sucked into our strange little world! Welcome aboard, David. I think that you will find most everyone here very accomidating and full of great info. One piece of adivce: use the search function on the site. There is a wealth of info to be had, and you just might bump into some great stories and wonderful pics along the way, too.

HH

OP
OP
L

livetodig

Hey Jeff I'm using a Garret Predator I've tried various settings, I usually start with little discrimination all metal until I get tired of junk then I change settings to coins , rings but I've spent many hrs in all metal. I usually search an old 60 acre park est. 1890 and have been to an old school est. 1911 found 67 pennys there in an hour nothing old at either site ? Normally hit newer schools 2 - 30 yrs old.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v never used the Predator, however that is a Good Machine, and it sounds like by you Detecting Habits You Should be finding that Older Stuff. Just keep Swingin' & don't swing too fast. You Probably just havn't gone over the Right piece of ground yet. & don't forget to listen for those Weak Signals. ......... I hope your wearing Headphones. If not, Buy a pair. that will help

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Welcome and have fun! I've been at it awhile myself but missed the silver rush of the late 70's, early 80's. During that period a lot of new technology came into the market that helped those old timers hunt much more effectively. A lot of places, mostly those obvious public places with continous usage were really hit hard. Today we have deeper seeking machines with more advantages than those of that period but what you describe is very much a common reality.

A seemingly good site that produces good volume within a certain range of depth and period of time. More than likely there is a lot there that's out of easy detecting range. I said easy, not impossible. Practice with that machine and you'll get to cut down to the depth of that good old stuff once in a while. There's still a few errant old coins near the surface here and there also but they are either in spots that are too obvious or not at all obvious.

have fun and happy hunting!

C

czman

Welcome David to the forum and the fun and happy hunting...Don

M

mrmark55

Welcome to the fun David. ?A great group of guys here....oops and gals. There is still silver out there just not as much as there used to be. One of these days just when you least expect it you will dig some silver and you will know as soon as you see the glint which I might add will match the glint that will be in your eyes for days as you dig and dig looking for more!
Mr Mark ;D

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Welcome David, one thing is make sure you have a coil cover so that you can scrub the ground slow & easy.two-if you can adjust vol. on detector to about 1/2-3/4 and make up some of the difference w/headphones listen for the weak repeatable signals you might get to some of the deeper coins.

Biggunshunter

Jan 25, 2005
North Augusta SC
Hey David- I'm from across the river in NA. There are alot of good places to hunt in the area. Always keep your eyes open for the new construction downtown. I've heard people were pulling good finds in the area they are clearing for Laney's new football stadium. They are also about to clear some potentially good sites on the SC side. Keep putting in the time and hit the spots that would have the older coins. Good look.

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Spending the time & swing the detector is key to increasing your finds. You are off to a good start. Keep it up & welcome to the forum. Spotz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread