Detector selection questions

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I currently have a discovery 2000 which does pretty well for me. I think its time to step up a notch. Is it a vertical move to go with something like a fisher f2? In my price range I have narrowed it down to the fisher f2, f4, minelab 305, garrett ace 250. The 305 and f4 have ground balance feature that I am told is important but I'm still new to this. The f4 only has this feature in all metal. I don't really have access to use each of these like I want to. All I have to go by is videos and reviews. Please help inform me if you can.

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Stepping up is a relative term. Unless you are ready to spend $450-$750.00 just go with an entry level machine like an F2 or an Ace 250 (pretty much the same machine), or a Tesoro Silver uMax or Cibola. When you are ready to get a manual ground balance machine and go a little deeper with better sensitivity, then you can get a Tesoro Vaquero, a Garrett AT Pro, or a Minelab X-Terra.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at Whites Coinmaster GT and compare it to the other manufactures at the $370 range. It list for $399 but if you call around you can get it at a better price. You will find it has an excellent list of high end features for the price. Not really thinking about upgrading and it has been almost a year.. if you read these forums many of these people buy a new machine every other month.. never mind the fact they don't spend enough time with any of them to actually learn them.. just sayin.. you will get a lot of advice.. mine is compare features, cause unless you are going to jump real high on the price scale.. the feature are all the changes as you go up entry level to mid level..

dholland02

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't waste ur money on the ace 250 ull get bored with it. Hands down the exterra.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are plenty of almost new Xterra 705's showing up on various forums. It is a very good machine IMO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Rce777777

Jul 12, 2014
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 and Eurotek pro for my little partner.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look into the bounty hunter and and whites. I have also been reading about the euro tek pro. Looks like no ground balance on the euro tek but really good reviews. I am still confused on which one. I can't ever remember being back and forth so much when buying something. Seem just about all are good.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will look into the bounty hunter and and whites. I have also been reading about the euro tek pro. Looks like no ground balance on the euro tek but really good reviews. I am still confused on which one. I can't ever remember being back and forth so much when buying something. Seem just about all are good.

You noticed that did you! :-)
When it comes down to it, a better MD is not really going to find very much more than the one you have. You will get more options.. Multiple tones that help you know (after you dig enough stuff) what the target MIGHT be, before you dig it with just the sound.. VID which give you and idea of how conductive the target is.. i.e. on my machine a Quarter is 84+- a steel bottle cap rings up as a jump VID 80-90 with 50-60 -90 but sometimes depending on the amount of rust, length in the ground, amount of moisture etc etc can ring up a 84! It is not exact and something you must learn to interpret. Ground balancing, auto tracking, discrimination, notching, coil selection. all just options to help you dig less trash .. and last but not least the higher end units have a little more power sometimes, getting you a little more dept.. But it is more the options, speed of processor etc. Ground balancing is one thing that can be a little more important depending on the type of soil you are using it on..
Beach wet salt sand is typically a different type of machine and should be considered before you buy if that is something you plan to do.

To be honest, when I started I just went with whites as it was well documented as one of the best customer service, American Made, and it had all the nice options with a price to option list that seems good. I am happy with it. Other I know went with an F2, and of course 6 months later felt for some reason the AT Pro would find them more stuff so the Upgraded.. A lot of it has to do with hanging out on these forums and getting the feeling you are missing something when in fact the location you are hunting and the amount of time you have logged with your machine has more to do with what you find than the machine you use when talking about entry and mid level VLF (very low frequency) machines.

Hope that helps a little.. sometimes you gota just set a price, and pick the best bang for the buck!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
IF YOU REALLY WANT TO STEP UP IN QUALITY, DEPTH, AND VERSATILITY, maybe a used older top of the line detector would give what you want.
I use a 13 + year old Whites XLT and it will find anything the newer detectors will find. You can just pick a program and detect with ease or you can set almost anything in the computer. It pinpoints exactly, has a very accurate bar-graph, ID #s with chart printed on case, plus symbols. I found over $3000 worth last year, in one yard. Hay, some times you get lucky. Frank...-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread