Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have recently gotten back into metal detecting over the last month or so. Actually, my last detector I used years ago was really, really bad but it did plant the seed so it's all good. Money's been tight and I bought a Tracker IV off Craigslist for 30 bucks. I've more than doubled my money back on the thing if not more with what I've already found.

My questions is, is this thing any good for finding silver coins and/or jewelry?? I'm cleaning up on the clad and have found 3 rings, one 10K band, one 18K plated copper and one white gold plated something or other (that one's actually in the best shape).

The thing is, I'm hitting some locations where I know there HAS to be silver coins but I have yet to dig even one. I've gotten the hang of this machine pretty well (I think) and I feel like I know the tones almost intuitively at this point (I've been detecting in pretty much ALL of my spare time). I typically use the tone discrimination mode with little discrimination except to "check" the targets based on the sounds/tones when I increases it. I fully understand all of the modes and have used all of them at one time or another.

I've air tested it on silver, gold, copper and several other metals. It definitely detects all of the above but I'm beginning to think that silver may be deeper than clad (on average) and that this machine just may not be picking it up at that depth. The rings I have dug were all less than say, 9-10 inches down.

Any help, tips or tricks on this machine will be greatly appreciated. I want honest answers even if it's not good news.

I want to upgrade ASAP but the cash flow is down at the moment and I have other priorities. That could change very soon and another deal may present itself like the one on the Tracker IV did. But in the meantime, I have lots of spots on my list I want to hit.

I'm not complaining. For the money I think I got a really sweet deal and I have found lots of stuff already. I have also learned a great deal from this site which has helped me to really improve my techniques. This machine has also truly reignited the fever in me and I'm very happy that it came my way in the way it did and at such an incredibly low price.

I just have a feeling I may be missing some good stuff that I otherwise wouldn't if I had a better machine. I would love to take a really good machine to on of my spots just to try and see what I may have missed (which one day I will).

So; anyone who wants to put their 2 cents in is more than welcome. I may be asleep soon and may not check back 'til morning but either way, let the fun begin and be brutally honest if necessary. I really want to know what I can expect until I am able to upgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
how to tell aluminum cans from coins --with a BH

lots of folks want to find "big silver coins" (quarters , halves and dollars) but sadly aluminum cans are much more common and tend to "ring up" like silver coins are supposed to with a BH machine -- what to do? you do not want to dig trash but you do not want to "pass up" a big silver coin-- ols timers trick --- slowly lift your coil upwards if its a coin (generally a rather small item) it will soon drop out of detection range , however a crushed aluminum can being a much "bigger" target will stay in detection range much longer and aluminum shouldn't sound as "clean" in general as silver does --its tone should be a bit fuzzy or crackly --where silver should be a sharp "ping" --so listen carefully ...
:hello2:

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'd sure like to know where you're finding these "deals!"...
Happy Hunting!

Craigslist.

Some people seem to buy these machines and when they realize there is time, practice and work involved they hang up the hobby before they get started.

I've gotten lots of nice guitars the same way.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Craigslist.

Some people seem to buy these machines and when they realize there is time, practice and work involved they hang up the hobby before they get started.

I've gotten lots of nice guitars the same way.

Thanks....I've tried Craigslist many times...especially after mine got stolen...but couldn't really find a good deal...got impatient to get going again so just bought the Tracker IV online at Walmart..Maybe it's because I live on the west coast...but good for you!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions