Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have recently gotten back into metal detecting over the last month or so. Actually, my last detector I used years ago was really, really bad but it did plant the seed so it's all good. Money's been tight and I bought a Tracker IV off Craigslist for 30 bucks. I've more than doubled my money back on the thing if not more with what I've already found.

My questions is, is this thing any good for finding silver coins and/or jewelry?? I'm cleaning up on the clad and have found 3 rings, one 10K band, one 18K plated copper and one white gold plated something or other (that one's actually in the best shape).

The thing is, I'm hitting some locations where I know there HAS to be silver coins but I have yet to dig even one. I've gotten the hang of this machine pretty well (I think) and I feel like I know the tones almost intuitively at this point (I've been detecting in pretty much ALL of my spare time). I typically use the tone discrimination mode with little discrimination except to "check" the targets based on the sounds/tones when I increases it. I fully understand all of the modes and have used all of them at one time or another.

I've air tested it on silver, gold, copper and several other metals. It definitely detects all of the above but I'm beginning to think that silver may be deeper than clad (on average) and that this machine just may not be picking it up at that depth. The rings I have dug were all less than say, 9-10 inches down.

Any help, tips or tricks on this machine will be greatly appreciated. I want honest answers even if it's not good news.

I want to upgrade ASAP but the cash flow is down at the moment and I have other priorities. That could change very soon and another deal may present itself like the one on the Tracker IV did. But in the meantime, I have lots of spots on my list I want to hit.

I'm not complaining. For the money I think I got a really sweet deal and I have found lots of stuff already. I have also learned a great deal from this site which has helped me to really improve my techniques. This machine has also truly reignited the fever in me and I'm very happy that it came my way in the way it did and at such an incredibly low price.

I just have a feeling I may be missing some good stuff that I otherwise wouldn't if I had a better machine. I would love to take a really good machine to on of my spots just to try and see what I may have missed (which one day I will).

So; anyone who wants to put their 2 cents in is more than welcome. I may be asleep soon and may not check back 'til morning but either way, let the fun begin and be brutally honest if necessary. I really want to know what I can expect until I am able to upgrade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's there you will find it. You've already found rings so you know it will detect jewelry. you will find some sooner or later.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If your picking up targets at 10 inches with a $30 detector I would stick with it.

CladGrabber

Oct 10, 2013
Tulsa Ok
Detector(s) used
AT PRO...Equinox 800...garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That old "wonder if I'm missing stuff, I should upgrade" has cost alot of us a bunch of money:)
My advice is keep swinging and upgrade at your leisure. Oh, and welcome back! HH!

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, I'm not one to normally second guess myself but I have this gut feeling about a few spots and one in particular. I just want to know if this particular detector is actually good for silver coin shooting.

And I do intend to upgrade in good time. I'm actually hitting an old hunting club from the 1920's on Monday with a beach and a lake. That should be a pretty good test.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
it can find both silver and gold (if properly used) --depth limit is about 6 to 8 inches on coin sized items-- a bit deeper on larger things. ---all metal mode will give you the most depth but then you will have to dig it all --unless you use the toggle switch and switch modes to help ID your finds --with tone or disc mode .

Last edited:
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It goes REALLY deep on trash. That thing will find beer cans two feet down.

But thanks. Your answer is what I'm looking for. I just have a feeling that the silver will likely be down deeper than modern clad based strictly on the length of time it's been underground. That's not to say that I can't find silver that's up a bit higher.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
how to sort out beer cans from coins -- lift up the coil --a small coin should "drop out" of detection --while a large can will still ring up -- old timers "tip" --here is how to get the most gold with the least tabs dug -- get a nickel /gold item and a pull tab -- set the toggle to disc and the disc (right) knob to far left --or "0" disc put the pull tab on the ground and slowly wave the coil over it while turning the knob to the right until it no longer "rings up" --now put the nickel / gold item down --wave over it if it "rings up great --if not very slowly move it back to the left until it does -- ---now the coin /gold item should sound "crisp" and clean and the pull tab if its coming in should sound "crackly or fuzzy --not clean and sharp-- you will still dig tabs if looking for gold but this will help cut down on em somewhat.---if using "tone or disc" mode silver should hit with the "high tone ping"

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
while it common that older items are often deeper that is not always the case

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. I was just saying on average the older coins may be a bit deeper.

OTOH, I dug up an 1886 IH just below the surface as well as a really old token. They were both about 1/2" down.

On another note, I tested some silver with the coin on it's side and it pretty much missed it, whereas when it was flat, it rang out loud and clear.

So, I realize there are many variables but I basically want to know if this machine is indeed suitable for finding silver coins. I haven't seen much info on this particular topic for this machine and the reviews I have read have been mixed.

Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If it's there you will find it. You've already found rings so you know it will detect jewelry. you will find some sooner or later.

Agreed, sounds like you're doing really well. It took me over a year to find a ring actually worth something with my F2. Don't expect to dig 9-10 inch coins/rings. That's a stretch for mid/high level machines, and most targets are in the 2-5 inch range from my experience.
Happy hunting!
C4C

unfound

Apr 15, 2014
Western Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 350,
BH Tracker IV,
Garret Pro Pointer,
Lesche Sampson Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my son uses his tracker IV all the time and finds as many silver coins as anyone. It'll find them!!! I dont think he ever digs deeper than six inches. If your hunting in an area were silver coins are and the coil passes over them....you'll find them. Sounds like your off to a goos start, just keep diggin and show us the pics !!!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
coin angle has a lot to do with detection --- on ender coins are tougher no two ways about it -- I have hit copper cents (pre 1982) on that were laying "flat" at 8 to 10 inches --damp ground conditions also can help as the ground is more "conductive" to the signal from the coil.(thus more depth )--the deepest mode will be all metal --but it has "0"discrimation -- so once you find something you will have to toggle to tone or disc mode --or be a "dig it all type" person.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi...I had had a BH Pioneer 505, which I loved...on a recent camping trip, it was stolen...couldn't afford to get another right now...so got a BH TrackerIV from Walmart online...around $100...took it outta the box, turned sens. to around 2 and disc. about 1 and put it in disc. mode...walked out my front door and promptly found a quarter upended), a dime and penny...all of which was on land I had already gone over many times with my BH Pioneer...this is a coin monster!
Haven't found any gold ore jewelry yet, tho...but I've only had it a couple of weeks...
So yes...it DOES fine silver...

OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi...I had had a BH Pioneer 505, which I loved...on a recent camping trip, it was stolen...couldn't afford to get another right now...so got a BH TrackerIV from Walmart online...around $100...took it outta the box, turned sens. to around 2 and disc. about 1 and put it in disc. mode...walked out my front door and promptly found a quarter upended), a dime and penny...all of which was on land I had already gone over many times with my BH Pioneer...this is a coin monster!
Haven't found any gold ore jewelry yet, tho...but I've only had it a couple of weeks...
So yes...it DOES fine silver...

The Tracker IV definitely finds coins like nobody's business. I'm really impressed as far as that goes. I've been at this since June 21 of this year; about a month. I've found at least 30 bucks in clad. I've just been wondering about silver because I have yet to find even one coin. Then again, maybe I need some better hunting spots. You never really know whose been there before you and what they found.

I've been collecting silver coins my entire life and I really want to find some to expand my collection. I mean, who doesn't want more silver (or GOLD for that matter)??

Then again, I have found one gold band and three other plated rings. Maybe I need to be a bit more patient. Either way, I'm soon getting another detector for my son to use ( he was with me when I found my last ring and he wants to join in the fun) and we can always go back and re hunt some of my spots and see what happens. I'm going to find silver if it kills me.

I'm going to a beach tomorrow on a lake which was a hunting club and mini resort in the 1920's. I'm really hoping tomorrow is going to be a silver day. I feel like this is going to be a good spot. Silver or no silver, it's going to be a good day regardless.

I have another thread I just put up inquiring about the BH 505 vs the Garrett Ace 250.:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/m...etter-garret-ace-250-bounty-hunter-505-a.html

I would love to hear your review on that 505 if you feel like it. I found a REALLY good deal on one. I only paid 30 bucks for my tracker IV and paid for that on the first day when I found my 10k band.

Thanks and happy hunting.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
having owned and used both -- I can honestly say this the -- the ACE 250 has a few "issues" --mainly the fact that good items like nickles and gold "share" the same exact target block as pull tabs --so unless your a "dig everything" type of person --hunting for gold will mean digging lots and lots of pull tabs * and the man who picked out the "tones" on a ACE 250 must be tone deaf -- its "ice cream truck" sounds draws every kid in sound range to you and is annoying to the ear to me. --for its 212 price tag its not too bad however ----- now on to the BH -- which tend to get a bad rap since their "low cost detectors" that many folks get and do not read the manual or learn how to use properly and then they "blame the machine" when it does mot find "lots of gold and silver" right away...if one takes the time to learn to set ones "disc level" properly --one can hunt for gold items much easier as it can help "sort out" a fair bit of the pull tabs BEFORE you dig them up ---oh sure you will still dig some up --if hunting gold some pull tabs will be in your future count on it --but at least you can try to "pull apart" the gold and tabs thru proper discrimation settings on a BH. (and listening to the tones -- sharp strong(nickles or gold) "ping" vs fuzzy or crackly (pull tab)
the tracker IV --is a good lil gold machine -- its two knob set up is ideal for setting up disc wise -- use a pull tab and a nickel or gold item -- find a metal free bit of ground (check it in all metal mode) -- place the pull tab and nickel /gold item on the ground about 3 foot apart -- with the left (power/ on /off) knob at about 3 o clock and the right (discrimation /sensitivity) knob all the way to the left (0 disc) -- wave the coil over the pull tab while slowly turning the right hand knob to the right until the pull tab no longer "rings up" -- now check and see if the nickkle /gold item comes in --if so fine your ready to go-- if not however then very ,very slowly go back to the left just until the nickel / gold item does "ring up"--it should sound crisp and sharp "ping" --while the pull tab if it now comes in should sound fuzzy or crackly (not he same)

Last edited:

crazy4coins

Jul 9, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
Garrett424

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
having owned and used both -- I can honestly say this the -- the ACE 250 has a few "issues" --mainly the fact that good items like nickles and gold "share" the same exact target block as pull tabs --so unless your a "dig everything" type of person --hunting for gold will mean digging lots and lots of pull tabs * and the man who picked out the "tones" on a ACE 250 must be tone deaf -- its "ice cream truck" sounds draws every kid in sound range to you and is annoying to the ear to me. --for its 212 price tag its not too bad however ----- now on to the BH -- which tend to get a bad rap since their "low cost detectors" that many folks get and do not read the manual or learn how to use properly and then they "blame the machine" when it does find "lots of gold and silver" right away...if one takes the time to learn to set ones "disc level" properly --one can hunt for gold items much easier as it can help "sort out" a fair bit of the pull tabs BEFORE you dig them up ---oh sure you will still dig some up --if hunting gold some pull tabs will be in your future count on it --but at least you can try to "pull apart" the gold and tabs thru proper discrimation settings on a BH. (and listening to the tones -- sharp strong(nickles or gold) "ping" vs fuzzy or crackly (pull tab)
the tracker IV --is a good lil gold machine -- its two knob set up is ideal for setting up disc wise -- use a pull tab and a nickel or gold item -- find a metal free nbit of ground (check it in all metal mode) -- place the pull tab and nickel /gold item on the ground about 3 foot apart -- with the left (power/ on /off) knob at about 3 o clock and the right (discrimation /sensitivity) knob all the way to the left (0 disc) -- wave the coil over the pull tab while slowly turning the right hand knob to the right until the pull tab no longer "rings up" -- now check and see if the nickkle /gold item comes in --if so fine your ready to go-- if not however then very ,very slowly go back to the left just until the nickel / gold item does "ring up"--it should sound crisp and sharp "ping" --while the pull tab if it now comes in should sound fuzzy or crackly (not he same)

My Tracker IV is officially vindicated after today. I found gold, silver coins, 4 more rings and lots of clad and assorted items.

I've definitely taken the time to learn those tones, disc, etc. Yes, there is a learning curve but I did read and reread the manual (and several others I found online that are great), air tested over and over and just took it out for a month straight and used it. It's definitely paid off.

I got this thing for next to nothing so I can't complain. It paid for itself within the first 15 minutes of using it. The more I use it the better it seems to get. It's like anything. You have to practice if you want results and you have to do the work as well.

I really appreciate your input. After the day I had today I'm definitely getting another detector so my son and I can hunt. He was as excited as I was. I haven't decided but I'm leaning toward that BH 505. I found a really sweet deal and may just jump on it before someone else does.

Thanks again.

RiverRat

Jun 30, 2012
Clearlake, N. California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Garrett Pro Pointer,Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, I really liked my BH505...(never used the Garrett 250)....the 505, compared to the Track IV, is, on the one hand, harder to learn to use but just gives you more info on the find...the deal is that it takes awhile to learn all of it...I'm a newbie and was just getting to learn it when it got stolen....as I posted earlier, the Tracker is so easy to use for coins!...wow!...seems the best for a kid, for sure...very simple...but I also like to find relics, and, of course, jewelry....and I really liked the digital display on the 505 which is pretty accurate in telling you what you found...and also the depth info...usually found that the find was actually shallower than it displayed, but not by much...that was very helpful for me in areas that were hard to dig (hard ground/lots of roots/etc.), display showing is questionable and I just don't want to dig 6-8 inches for something questionable....a problem I never could quite learn how to avoid was that a crushed aluminum can, sounded like a dime/quarter...display and sound showed that also...made me keep digging, only to find trash...even called Kellyco to see what I could do to not have that happen but they basically said "nothing"....just dig it and live with it...
I also like the 3 distinct tones in the BH 505...
I'd sure like to know where you're finding these "deals!"...
Happy Hunting!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't sell the tracker IV short. It might not have all the bells and whistles as some of the $$$ detectors. Silver is very conductive and will ring up high. Many have found silver coins years ago and that could cut down your chances but they didn't find it all. Using ALL METAL will get you deeper, but I don't think that's the problem for you.

Just make sure you are sweeping the coil level to the ground the whole width of the sweep and try to over lap the sweep too. The field goes down in roughly a cone shape and at the bottom of the cone the field might only be 2" round. So by not over lapping your missing lots of ground at depth. Something is wrong with the website as some of us can't post pictures or I could show you a pic what the field looks like.
Good Luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread