Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi All,

I've been stalking Kelly Co and Craigslist and I found a Garrett AT Pro plus pin pointer and extras for $450. It seems like a decent machine for the price, but I'm concerned with it's performance in water. I would really like to start hitting up the shallow creeks around my area and get into the shallows when I go to the beach. I've quickly discovered from the forums that the only thing that really tackles saltwater well is a multi freq or PI detector, which this is neither. But has anyone used one in wet sand or in fresh water? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Will

Upvote 0

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine worked fine at Myrtle Beach but the black sand beaches will kill it. You need a dedicated salt water machine to do it right if you hunt salt water often. If you go on vacation once a year and pick your beaches wisely it works OK. In fresh water your good to go. It's what it was made for.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my AT Pro fully submerged in fresh water. I never had a problem ground balancing and it worked great.

If you plan on getting deep in the water invest in a pair of waterproof headphones. The Pro Pointer also does not like water, and could be a certain death sentence if you get it fully submerged. I know from experience!

gulfcoaster

May 11, 2014
Pensacola, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Garrett AT Pro, White's Bullseye TRX, Stealth Classic 8" Sand Scoop
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had my AT Pro fully submerged in the river near my house on more than one occasion, and it works great. I am using the Garrett headphone adapter, which is not supposed to be submersed, and a set of waterproof earbuds. The adapter seems to handle being underwater fine so far, and it's helped delay the purchase of a nice set of underwater headphones.

HenryWaltonJonesJr

Sep 2, 2013
Downtown Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2, AT Pro, Compadre, SeaHunter II, AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In calm fresh waters it works just as it does on land. I. The wave crash (Lake Michigan) it can get a bit squirrelly, but as soon as you get a little deeper in no problems at all. That's a great price for a machine and Pin pointer, I'd get it.

DonDigger

Jan 11, 2013
Galveston Bay Area
Detector(s) used
Teknetics, Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out Aquachigger channel on youtube.com . Beau Ouimette, aka AquaChigger, uses the AT Pro for river and stream detecting and has had some spectacular results.

mr helton

May 20, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
White's Spectrum XLT
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used my AT Pro completely underwater all the time since getting it this year. I hunt rivers and lakes in Michigan and do anything from 6 inches to 5-6 feet with no issues at all. It's a fantastic freshwater machine imo.

I use waterproof headphones and a mask + dry snorkel too.

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the same ad. I was tempted to get it. It looks like a great deal, but I want to get a new one. I also plan on getting the Deteknix XPointer from Colonial Metal Detectors.

OP
OP
Sandskimmer

Sandskimmer

Jul 6, 2014
Lancaster, Pa
Detector(s) used
BH Discovery 2200, Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Minelab SE Pro for 600 or Garrett AT Pro for 450. Advice?

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Does the SE Pro come with a pinpointer?
Do you want to water hunt?
Both prices are nice!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread