Anyone know how to keep the Gnats away! - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Anyone know how to keep the Gnats away!

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    stefen
    I've been told that the mosquito is the State Bird in Florida...(can carry off a small dog or cat)

So the gnats must be the hummingbird...

us
    Jan 2007
    morrisons cove = smell our dairy air
    1317 times
    They are dog pecker flies, and its the fault of those darn dogs again!
    No longer politically correct

Jul 2014
    Marco Island/Naples,Florida
    Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, Whites Goldmaster 66-TR, Whites Beachcomber
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BillTX View Post
    SKin so Soft by Avon

Works every time.
    This is true. I forgot about using Skin So Soft. It does work. Smells good too!

us
    Nov 2013
    Philadelphia PA
    DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
    555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch88 View Post
    I didn't think y'all had gnats above about the Mason-Dixon Line. I had a saleslady in a Redwing boot store in Knoxville, TN tell me she was born and raised in the area I live in and said the best part about moving to Knoxville was that there weren't any gnats! Tell me more. Do y'all have "skeeters" up there? Ours are so big they have rib cages and theTiger breed are so aggressive they have racing strips!
    We got skeeters.. the gnats don't bit but the skeeters will give you West Nile .... and I am to Skeeters like Sookie is to Vapers.. Deet works for skeeters no problem..

Feb 2013
    Chambersburg Pa.
    2 times
    Listerine works pretty good. put it in a small spray bottle, mist it over yourself about every half hour. Works pretty good.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8543 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by stefen View Post
    Eat a lot of raw garlic...
    That will probably keep EVERYTHING and EVERYBODY away!
    ​Avitech Associate

OWK
    us
    Defender of Human Liberty

Apr 2014
    North Central Md
    Fisher F70, F75 Garrett Pinpointer
    1288 times
    The best answer to gnats is a bug net hat.

At least for me, the gnats only bother me if they're all up in my face. A bug netting hat keeps them off your face, and you can still see and breathe just fine.

Plenty of different kinds on Ebay

us
    Nov 2013
    Philadelphia PA
    DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
    555 times
    Quote Originally Posted by OWK View Post
    The best answer to gnats is a bug net hat.

At least for me, the gnats only bother me if they're all up in my face. A bug netting hat keeps them off your face, and you can still see and breathe just fine.

Plenty of different kinds on Ebay
    Yes, I think you may have something there. Not sure I have the kahoonas to wear one on the football field at the local high school.. Not something you see around here and could draw unwanted attention from the hoodlums that wander about.. However, out in the park and in the woods it could work without question.. I will take a look, anything in particular you use and perfer?

OWK
    us
    Defender of Human Liberty

Apr 2014
    North Central Md
    Fisher F70, F75 Garrett Pinpointer
    1288 times
    I bought one in a baseball cap style so I can still wear my headphones. Works very well.

But I suspect the ones that look like Vietnam Jungle hats would work even better.

us
    Mar 2009
    Columbia falls Montana
    Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
    1357 times
    Try the vanilla extract I'm telling yea. Nothing including deet or skin so soft would deter biting gnats but vanilla extract works like magic.

us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
    3985 times
    Gnats.... It that's the best way to keep him off your face long sleeves with rubber bands on the wrists you guys have no problems until you see the northern mosquitoes and deer flies and things are huge and they really thinking big bite.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

us
    Aug 2010
    73 times
    For gnats I use Tone's Double Strength Imitation Vanilla. I put it in a small spray bottle that fits in my pocket and mist my face, neck, arms, and behind the ears as needed. It works as good as anything I've tried. Also Absorbine Jr doesn't work too bad, but I find Vanilla the most pleasant to use. I've tried the expensive real vanilla extract and I think the cheap Tone's works better.
    dirtscratcher likes this.

us
    15 Minute Hunts

Jul 2014
    Indiana
    Bounty Hunter Lone Star Garrett Ace 350 Garrett AT Pro Garrett Pro-Pointer
    29 times
    Metal Detecting
    Gnats hate the vanilla, but I found that they also hate Absorbine Jr. just as much. I got them bad here in Indiana and those are the go-to repellents that really work.
    Last edited by RileyDigger; Jul 21, 2014 at 01:38 AM. Reason: mis-spelling

us
    Nov 2013
    Philadelphia PA
    555 times
    A friend of mine who golfs says Bounce Dryer sheet keeps everything away.. one tucked in the shirt collar and one in the back pocket.. I think I may add the vanilla and see if I can stand the smells! Maybe I will start with just vanilla.. I HATE the smell of bounce.. Maybe I'm a Ganat!

Thanks for all the ideas, if I find one that works here in PA I will post it as well!

us
    Nov 2013
    Philadelphia PA
    555 times
    No dice on the Vanilla.. Gnats in PA just laugh at it!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links