Anyone know how to keep the Gnats away!

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Think you all have probably hit a grass field .. i.e. every high school or ball field.. and had the gnat attack.. (Kansas Left overture version was way better ) Only think that keeps them at bay is a 15 mph wind.. which is absent most of the summer.. They laugh at Deet as they land on my glasses and climb up my nose.. .. Guess I can just wait till fall to go out.. Anyone find anything that works to keep them away?
Bet the CIA could use these things to get anyone to talk!

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OFF deep woods, "dry" a must have here in SW FL

rwd mo

Jul 26, 2011
SW Mo
Detector(s) used
Minelab/whites/Tesoro/
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Think you all have probably hit a grass field .. i.e. every high school or ball field.. and had the gnat attack.. (Kansas Left overture version was way better ) Only think that keeps them at bay is a 15 mph wind.. which is absent most of the summer.. They laugh at Deet as they land on my glasses and climb up my nose.. .. Guess I can just wait till fall to go out.. Anyone find anything that works to keep them away?
Bet the CIA could use these things to get anyone to talk!

On my cache hunts that we have to be their we use mosquito nets and they work. Look a little quirky but they work. Cost little to nothing in army supply store or outdoor store. rwd mo.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

RonnieInNaples

Jul 11, 2014
Naples and Bell,Florida
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Whites Goldmaster 66-TR,
Whites Beachcomber
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on the beach the other night and was attacked by those nasty Gnats! I had all kinds of repellant on, nothing worked. I had to end my hunt early.

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working in North Dakota the knats would drive you crazy and no amount of deet would faze them. What works best is vanilla extract even car fresheners that are vanilla scented work hung off a cap.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Working in North Dakota the gnats would drive you crazy and no amount of deet would faze them. What works best is vanilla extract even car fresheners that are vanilla scented work hung off a cap.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think y'all had gnats above about the Mason-Dixon Line. I had a saleslady in a Redwing boot store in Knoxville, TN tell me she was born and raised in the area I live in and said the best part about moving to Knoxville was that there weren't any gnats! Tell me more. Do y'all have "skeeters" up there? Ours are so big they have rib cages and theTiger breed are so aggressive they have racing strips!

S

stefen

I've been told that the mosquito is the State Bird in Florida...(can carry off a small dog or cat)

So the gnats must be the hummingbird...

OP
OP
airscapes

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't think y'all had gnats above about the Mason-Dixon Line. I had a saleslady in a Redwing boot store in Knoxville, TN tell me she was born and raised in the area I live in and said the best part about moving to Knoxville was that there weren't any gnats! Tell me more. Do y'all have "skeeters" up there? Ours are so big they have rib cages and theTiger breed are so aggressive they have racing strips!

We got skeeters.. the gnats don't bit but the skeeters will give you West Nile .... and I am to Skeeters like Sookie is to Vapers.. Deet works for skeeters no problem..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread