Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Several years ago, while doing another outdoor activity, I needed something durable to dig in the hard ground, sometimes even frozen and out of necessity, made this. I needed something with weight behind it so I decided to use a small sledge that I had, then after scrounging around in the various metal scraps I had lying around, I found the blade. I believe it had come off of an old farming implement. I was actually looking for an old tooth from a hay cutting machine when I had found this piece. it was pretty hard steel so I welded it on the face of the sledge and put it to work over the years. The only thing I would have done differently would have using a small sledge with a fiberglass handle and if this one ever breaks, I will replace it with one. It is a little bit heavy and a little cumbersome but really does the job in a hurry. As my grandfather would say, "Better than a stick in your eye!" This was in response to the post about digging in the really hard dirt, just took me a little while to find it... ever misplace something? hope this helps someone out there.

View attachment 1025665 View attachment 1025660 View attachment 1025667

Upvote 0

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, there ain't no arguing with that thing. :laughing7:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
you can tell its been used in some pretty hard stuff, the reason it was "misplaced" was because the little woman had used it in the garden as a multi - purpose tool. the extra weight really helps and the other end can do a number on the rocks

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pretty neat looking tool looter!From the pic it looks kind of thin,but I see it hasn't bent on you much.Might have to change your name to Mcguiver.Pretty inventive idea.

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sometimes you can't find what you want or need so you have to improvise. sometimes you end up making your own improvements on someone else's ideas to accomplish what you are trying to do. at the time it was digging in frozen hard ground. I originally was going to use a piece of spring steel from an old truck but this piece turned up.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure looks like that would get the job done, but, I sure wouldn't want to lug that thing around! :notworthy:

OP
OP
dirtlooter

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
no, its pretty heavy but is only 14 inches long, looks bigger than what it is but if you keep it in the vehicle until you need it, its not too bad. I have a belt loop for it to slide into. this is a tool for those places where the dirt is really hard and then it shines. I would use it to get the preliminary digging done and then go back to my regular digger

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very cool looking tool... nice work Dirtlooter!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread