Very generous MD club buddy....

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Last month we had a club meeting at a big park with lots of picnic and other open hunting areas but also lots of woods.
Before the meeting we hunted and I decided to go into the woods.
I didn't take a compass reading before I left but no big deal, I would just go straight out and come back the same way and get back in time for the meeting.
Didn't work out that way.
Somehow I got lost, went in a direction that was opposite of where I thought I was heading, tried to get back but just more woods and followed the sound of cars traveling on one of the roads that run through the park to get my bearings.
I actually had to take off my boots and socks and ford a stream at one point to get to that road...luckily it was shallow although really rocky.
I got to the road and finally figured out I actually walked right through these woods and came out way far away from where our meeting site was.
No way was I going back in and get lost again so I ended up walking back on the road which was a bout a mile and a half trip around the park doing it that way.
Then I had to walk up a pretty steep dirt road to get back, and by the time I made it to the meeting it was 10 minutes from being over.
Kind of embarrassing, I have no idea why I told the few members that asked where I had been that I got freakin' lost in the woods.

Yesterday at our latest meeting a club friend, Mace, Inksmyth on the forums, walked up to me and said I thought about you and I got you an accessory that I think a guy like you really needs.
Then he handed me this.
Funny guy, that Inksmyth.

Attachments

• Bread.jpg
    Bread.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 0

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, crazy story, sounds like something that would happen to me! You are a big person for admitting you simply got lost. The silver lining is that it's a lesson to other hunters in your club or anywhere for that matter.

Sharryn

Nov 27, 2013
S. Central Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer, Samson 32" T-handle,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't feel bad. I once took a wrong turn geocaching and I had my GPS with me! Stuff happens.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would stick with a GPS over a compass. You still can be a mile away from your destination just following one heading very easily.

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Might be good thoughts to include a buddy and failing that a stand alone gps. Got turned around many times myself... even snuck up on my own vehicle. Hahh :)

OP
OP
digger27

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
LOL!
These woods are big, but not that big.
If I keep walking I will come out somewhere eventually.
Wasn't a big deal except I did it on a day we had our meeting.
I have used my compass app on my phone before, it works fine.
The only thing I worry about is getting lost AND coming across a gingerbread house somewhere deep in the woods.
I hate witches!

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometimes people get lost in our local mountains! They come up for a day hike and are not prepared and when night falls they are blind and lost!
Glad you made it back before dark!

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you were wearing a watch, you had a compass. Point the hour hand at the sun. Halfway between it and 12 is south.

Or you could have looked at the trees. Moss grows on the north side of the trunk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread