seated liberty quar.dol. reverse side mold?

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, ACE250, Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
765.jpg Hello everyone. I'm happy to have found this forums. I'm very new to metal detecting, in fact, i just started in april. I asked my wife for one as a gift for my birthday and being the wonderful wife that she is, she got me an ace 250. I love this thing and have found so many things in my own yard it blows my mind. I recently started doing my in-laws yard and came up with something interesting. I did as much research as the internet has to offer and am now hoping that one of you can help me. It looks just like the reverse side of a seated liberty quarter but it is backwards and indented, not raised. I'm thinking a die from a u.s. mint or some guy that forged coins. Any input on this item would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 769.jpg
    769.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 112
Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what an interesting find! good luck w/ an ID.. possibly an imprint of another coin? no clue???

maybe post this in the coins section.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice. I did post it in the coins section. Now for a quick prayer.:thumbsup:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What metal is it made of?

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably made of lead judging by the corrosion. Most likely someone was playing with casting and dropped the rejects. Forgery is not uncommon however its a silly proposition to pull off on out of date coinage. My thoughts.

OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not magnetic so i am assuming that it is lead. It's very heavy, as lead would be. I found it in my in-laws backyard and there house was built in 1870ish. I'll show you the flip side of that metal along with a couple other things i found there. This dime is interesting as the "s" is indented as opposed to raised...hmm. 764.jpg 732.jpg 723.jpg 762.jpg

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds. Might want to take a closer picture of the dime, both sides, and ask around here a bit on the stamp. :)

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably made of lead judging by the corrosion. Most likely someone was playing with casting and dropped the rejects. Forgery is not uncommon however its a silly proposition to pull off on out of date coinage. My thoughts.

With all due respect, it wouldn't be a silly proposition if it involved collectible coins. Seeing that Barber Dime with the stamped "S" mint mark makes me lean that way. A lot of the S mint mark Barber Dimes are more valuable than the Philly-minted versions (Philly-minted would have no mint mark), especially in higher grades.

Edited to add: The stamp of the S mint mark may have just been the first step in the forgery process. Perhaps that served as a way to "hold" the mold of the S mint mark, so it would stay in place when cooled and therefore appear genuine.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rodarian

rodarian

Jul 20, 2014
upstate New York
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks DDancer, i'll do that. That all sounds very logical to me WhiteTornado. I'll post both sides and see what people think.. Thanks all.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread